mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 am

The whole trade Kessel narrative is dumb right now. He's been peddling that nonsense since January or something like that. Kessel must have slighted him like Steve Simmons.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am

Source of the post The whole trade Kessel narrative is dumb right now.
FTFY

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 am

Correct

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 am

If you are a sports writer and you look at the pens and what they should do in the offseaon, you are always going to go with "Trade Kessel". We aren't trading Malkin or Crosby. You could go with the Trade Letang angle, but trading Kessel angle is more fun because he doesn't like the media.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 am

Miles caught up to all of them. Dude was back to back Conn Smythe winner. Was bound to lose at some point.

It seems like someone here was commenting all year about Sullivan mishandling icetime and lines but people kept telling that poster "Two time Cup coach... you're stupid"

Everyone's life would be so much better if they would just listen to me from go. 8-)

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am

I really don't find a lot of fault with Sullivan here, even after the fact...I don't think his team had the energy to really switch to a dump and grind game that the Caps 2-3 stack necessitated...the team was beat up and I don't think there was a lot that he did wrong really...

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 am

I really don't find a lot of fault with Sullivan here, even after the fact...I don't think his team had the energy to really switch to a dump and grind game that the Caps 2-3 stack necessitated...the team was beat up and I don't think there was a lot that he did wrong really...
I actually thought that was a great bit of coaching by Trotz. The energy and injuries really started to show when they did that. We had bursts where we would break it down, but nothings sustained.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 am

I actually thought that was a great bit of coaching by Trotz. The energy and injuries really started to show when they did that. We had bursts where we would break it down, but nothings sustained.
I agree. Trotz and his group really studied how to beat our rush offense.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 am

Even though it probably didn’t matter, the lineups were bad . It’s not just a sprong thing either.

But game management, tactics, all that...he still has my full confidence. He knows what he’s doing.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 09, 2018 9:36 am

So, it can't have been the goalie. We played the right one. It can't have been the defense because we played our best six. So now we're talking about the four lines that got moved around a fair bit as the playoffs went on...so, I'm not sure what needed to be done differently that would have reasonably made a better result...

More Sheary with Crosby?
Less Kessel on the power play?
More Brassard?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:38 am

Shooting Letang into the sun would have helped.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am

I'm interested to know why Brassard was given almost as many minutes as I was.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am

So, it can't have been the goalie. We played the right one. It can't have been the defense because we played our best six. So now we're talking about the four lines that got moved around a fair bit as the playoffs went on...so, I'm not sure what needed to be done differently that would have reasonably made a better result...

More Sheary with Crosby?
Less Kessel on the power play?
More Brassard?
- if it’s important to keep kessel’s streak alive even though he’s sort of useless, give him 8 minutes playing with sheahan on the 4th. And he doesn’t sniff the PP. I don’t care who is in his place. Pick literally anyone.

- they gave up on brassard. Injury? Ok...but he was still doing things competently when he got the puck. Can’t say that about a lot of the team. But him they buried behind sheahan (who has played about 10 minutes of 3rd line caliber center since March) and gave him linemates they knew wouldn’t work. It was a total waste. Put him in simon’s spot. Give him new wingers. Do something to get him going in a series where he’s needed.

- and yep - sprong. Or freaking whoever. They knew they had energy issues. They didn’t cycle out some tired or hurting or otherwise ineffective guys for an energy injection. I think that’s unacceptable considering how we went out.

This all reads like sully knew the ship was sinking and he decided to go down with the guys that got him there. If this was a conscious decision, I kind of like it. If it was him thinking this was the best combination to get the W, he’s on meth.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 09, 2018 9:46 am

Because he had a groin issue and probably couldn't skate all that well.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 am

That's all fair.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 am

Clean out day coverage begins at 10:30...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 09, 2018 9:56 am

He skated well enough to still be in the lineup. Put jooris in if he’s not in game shape then.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am

That's all fair.
It’s not stuff that would have changed our fate (probably). It just didn’t make any sense. Even with the decision to drastically slow things down starting in game 3.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 am

Yeah, I mean, ya never know...it's not like we get walked in that series...we get some timely goaltending and we're probably playing tonight...but yeah I think those are all fair points really...

Brassard's usage, in particular, was bothersome to me...if you can't find room for him at center, then move him up the wings, he's done it before...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 09, 2018 10:10 am

He skated well enough to still be in the lineup. Put jooris in if he’s not in game shape then.
The same reason Kessel didn't sit. Kessel handled the puck like a grenade but still played.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:20 am

The same reason Kessel didn't sit. Kessel handled the puck like a grenade but still played.
Kessel didn’t sit because of his history here and his streak. Brassard has neither. It was probably more cruel to him to actually play him.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 am

Are they revealing the injuries at 10:30? Or have I missed them? To be fair, I guess this forum has predicted most of them...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 am

We'll probably find out more details on the injuries, yes. Malkin already confirmed that he has a knee issue.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 am

We'll probably find out more details on the injuries, yes. Malkin already confirmed that he has a knee issue.
Thanks =)

So that leaves at least Kessel and something with the wrist.

And I hope that Brassard has something that limited his minutes...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 09, 2018 10:46 am

Kuhnhackl not playing for Germany due to a currently undisclosed injury.