Off Season Moves Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Dumoulin is the sole survivor of the plethora of young defenseman.
:?:
Do you even know what a plethora is?
Didn't realize it was that hard to understand what I was insinuating. Mattaa and Pouliot are rostered players and have been deemed all but untouchable by management, Morrow was dumped shortly after being drafted, Samuelsson was traded for Klinkhammer, Simon Orr for Lovejoy, Harrington for Kessel. The idea of young defenseman as trade assets is all but gone because the only one left that's not untouchable is Dumoulin and he should, hopefully, be a valuable part of the top six this season.. It's unlikely the Penguins will even have a half decent defensive prospect starting the season in WBS.

Ass.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Was about to say that six 1st/2nd-round picks in four years being used for defensemen's a bit of a plethora, but then decided not to... (Edit: The one 1st/2nd rounder not used? Beau Bennett in 2010. Pens traded the 2nd-rounder for Jordan Leopold, so you could even add that into the list. :P )

Dickie's answer is certainly another way of saying that, though. I would argue that Maatta/Pouliot are both added to that survivor list. But meh.
Last edited by Avyran on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:03 pm

I think meow was quoting Three Amigos.
also yes

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Considering Dumo is like three years older than both Maatta and Pouliot, I'd say so...

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Didn't realize it was that hard to understand what I was insinuating. Mattaa and Pouliot are rostered players and have been deemed all but untouchable by management, Morrow was dumped shortly after being drafted, Samuelsson was traded for Klinkhammer, Simon Orr for Lovejoy, Harrington for Kessel. The idea of young defenseman as trade assets is all but gone because the only one left that's not untouchable is Dumoulin and he should, hopefully, be a valuable part of the top six this season.. It's unlikely the Penguins will even have a half decent defensive prospect starting the season in WBS.

Ass.
I guess this is what happens when I've never bothered to watch Three Amigos.

meow

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:06 pm

That is a massive problem. What is your address? I can mail you a VHS copy.

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:21 pm

lol. Can you send the VCR as well?

Jim

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:27 pm

I think meow was quoting Three Amigos.
It is sort of like beer...

meow

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:29 pm

lol. Can you send the VCR as well?
I would if I had one.

Gaucho

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:45 pm

I would argue that Maatta/Pouliot are both added to that survivor list. But meh.
Yass.

shmenguin

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:02 pm

the worst part about our defense is having Scuderi in the bottom pairing, really.
The worst part is only having one player on the team who has played a full season at a top 4 level. We have another guy whose abilities are still largely hypothetical. And after that, it's a bunch of good bottom pair players.

I guess, in other words, the worst part is that this defense is really bad on paper, and with one inevitable injury, it's maybe right near the bottom of the NHL.

Pavement

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavement » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:02 pm

I would be happy to go with the D as it is just now. Maybe trade Scuderi if someone is willing to take him but given the inevitable injury issues, it might be good to keep him.

Anyways, Kessel will score a bazillion goals and we don't need to worry about D. Amirite?

First time I've used Amirite. Feels good. 8-)

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm

But then who would mentor the young D???!!!

Craig

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Craig » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Ben lovejoy was brought in because of his veteran presence wasnt he?

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Ben lovejoy was brought in because of his veteran presence wasnt he?
That trade... Woof. Not that Despres was great but Lovejoy is the same bottom pairing/#7 guy he was when he left. He competes in practice, that's great. He still gets walked or out muscled against the skilled forwards in the NHL

King Colby

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:23 pm

It makes me sick every time I think about it. The Pens could really use a big, physical, skilled defenseman for the 2nd pairing this year...

the wicked child

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm not exactly comfortable slotting Pouliot into the Top 4 just yet. Letang and Maatta may be question marks health wise. I like Cole, but expecting him to anchor the 2nd pairing with Pouliot may be pushing it. And most likely Scuderi (makes too much to sit in the press box) and Lovejoy (team won't want to admit it **** up) will be in the lineup more often than not, and I don't see them playing those 2 together.

So I'm concerned. Not saying I want them to sign anything long term, but I have serious doubts about this D corps going into the season.

Pavel Bure

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:51 pm

It makes me sick every time I think about it. The Pens could really use a big, physical, skilled defenseman for the 2nd pairing this year...
I mean it's not like Despres left and exploded. I would have much rather let something at least try to happen with him than rehash Lovejoy.

Rocco

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Rocco » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:36 am

Need Scuderi around to teach them to lay in the crease at all times.

willeyeam

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:42 am

Ass.
The entire point of prospects is that they can turn into something. Graduate if you will. Maata, Poliout and Domoulin are in our top 6. That's half our defenseman. Letang was homegrown. Do you just want them to stay in WBS forever so we can have prospects?

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:44 am

And Dumoulin might not survive this yet. He's fighting for a spot on this team coming training camp.

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:58 am

Ass.
The entire point of prospects is that they can turn into something. Graduate if you will. Maata, Poliout and Domoulin are in our top 6. That's half our defenseman. Letang was homegrown. Do you just want them to stay in WBS forever so we can have prospects?
I'm going to go ahead and assume you missed my original post that brought on that specific area of discussion.
My concern about going into the season with the roster in its current construction is that the assets no longer exist for the team to make a significant mid-season or trade deadline deal. Dumoulin is the sole survivor of the plethora of young defenseman, next year's first round draft pick is already gone, and I really don't think we want to get into the business of trading first round picks for future seasons. Any trade would have to be a true "hockey trade" and I don't think this team has the depth to make a hockey trade without opening up another hole in the roster (ie. trading Sutter rids the team of a damn good 3rd line center and a solid playoff performer).
To summarize: The Penguins have holes in this roster and may not be able to fill them via mid-season or deadline trade because:
- Letang, Maatta, and Pouliot are untouchable
- Dumoulin is the only young defenseman left that is not untouchable and may either be top 6 or not that valuable
- 2016 1st Round pick has already been traded
- Sutter is a tradable commodity but dealing him opens a hole in the roster

TL;DR version: Sign a couple more free agents because there's nothing and no one left to trade.

Still TL;DR version: fart noise

willeyeam

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 am

I'm going to go ahead and assume you missed my original post that brought on that specific area of discussion.
My concern about going into the season with the roster in its current construction is that the assets no longer exist for the team to make a significant mid-season or trade deadline deal. Dumoulin is the sole survivor of the plethora of young defenseman, next year's first round draft pick is already gone, and I really don't think we want to get into the business of trading first round picks for future seasons. Any trade would have to be a true "hockey trade" and I don't think this team has the depth to make a hockey trade without opening up another hole in the roster (ie. trading Sutter rids the team of a damn good 3rd line center and a solid playoff performer).
To summarize: The Penguins have holes in this roster and may not be able to fill them via mid-season or deadline trade because:
- Dumoulin is the only young defenseman left that is not untouchable and may either be top 6 or not that valuable

TL;DR version: Sign a couple more free agents because there's nothing and no one left to trade.

fart noise lol. I did miss the original post.

I get what you're saying. But on the same token most of the prospects we once had have turned into something, whether it be a top 6 d-man or another asset that was traded for. So I think it's a good problem. However it does stink a little that there aren't more on the way, which is a result of having no picks lately.

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:09 pm

fart noise lol. I did miss the original post.

I get what you're saying. But on the same token most of the prospects we once had have turned into something, whether it be a top 6 d-man or another asset that was traded for. So I think it's a good problem. However it does stink a little that there aren't more on the way, which is a result of having no picks lately.
Oh there's no doubt that its a good thing. I just believe that as an organization and as a fanbase we've become accustomed to the in-season trade to bolster the roster, and that seems like a slim possibility for this season.

Beveridge

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:12 pm

If this year's first round pick and next year's first round pick got us Perron and Kessel, I can think of way worse ways those 2 picks could have gone. Even if Perron leaves.