mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm

And yet, they've won 2 Cups without a guy like that taking regular shifts.
and maybe thats now enough for the players to want some interference from getting mauled

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 pm

GMJR has been a real disaster.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I would have preferred either swapping the 31st pick for the 51st or giving up Sundqvist (not both), but since I think Sundqvist projects to be an average 4th-liner at best, I can be OK with throwing him in.

Kovyfalcon27

Postby Kovyfalcon27 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 pm

I don't know much about Reeves. So I'll just go with what the front office who's produced back to back cup winning rosters thinks they should do.

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Honestly you never have the perfect lineup for 82 games. He plays 4th line in regular season. In the playoffs he doesn't dress or you dress him and Sid and Geno double shift at 4rh center
Last edited by darkstar57 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Ryan Reaves has the Craig Adams Effect (TM) of literally dragging down every line he played on in St Louis.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 pm

In a weak draft the Pens traded what used to be the first pick of the second round and a scrub bottom line prospect for a guy whose played over 400 games in the NHL and a second round pick. I'm pretty sure we'll all survive this and I'm pretty sure WHATEVER Reaves provides this season will exceed whatever the hell Sundqvist would have provided this season.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Stop making stuff up

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Hmm...this was posted on St. Louis Game Time four days ago, when the Blues opted to protect Reaves over Perron:

https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2017/6/ ... vid-perron
Here’s the real bill of goods: Reaves changed his game and worked his ass off to improve before the 2016-17 season, increasing his speed on the ice, and his puck handling. In addition to the 239 hits dished out on the ice, Reaves scored a career high seven goals to go with six assists. He had eleven takeaways and only four giveaways, and his penalty minutes hung lower than usual at 104 in 80 games.

Having Reaves provides the Blues with their only real size on the roster, and it helps that he can play a little these days. Back in 2012-13, Reaves got into 13 fights, but didn’t offer much else to the Blues, scoring by luck or stuffing a puck into the net. This past season, Reaves offered six fights, double the aggression, and was simply a smarter player on the ice.

Let’s be honest, the Blues need a guy like Reaves to climb onto the ice, immediately putting the other team on notice for having their ass handed to them. He doesn’t just hit the other guy; he runs them the **** over. He is feared on the ice, and is the only Blue who can police opposing players out there. If Pittsburgh had Reaves, Sidney Crosby may not have six concussions during his career (not that anyone in Pitt is complaining right now, or ever).

The U

Postby The U » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 pm

I really like Reaves. Hardest hitter in the game. Intimidating. Not slow. We moved down 20 draft spots and traded away a prospect who had fallen out of favor in the organization. Sundqvist never showed me anything.

A real skeptic could say we moved down 20 spots and exchanged 4th liners.

Not sure there is anything to hate here. Moving down 20 spots is almost meaningless for us. Rowney surpassed Sunny on the depth chart. Losing him is no big deal.

Wouldn't be shocked if we traded pick 51 tomorrow.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Sundqvist and the 31st for Reeves, WTF? I'm hoping there is more to this

Wut.

The U

Postby The U » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 pm

In a weak draft the Pens traded what used to be the first pick of the second round and a scrub bottom line prospect for a guy whose played over 400 games in the NHL and a second round pick. I'm pretty sure we'll all survive this and I'm pretty sure WHATEVER Reaves provides this season will exceed whatever the hell Sundqvist would have provided this season.
Your last sentence is spot on. We acquired Reaves for a guy who is deemed to be worse than Carter Rowney. No guarantee that Sunny was even going to be in the NHL this year.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 pm

That article from the St. Louis blog definitely has me feeling better about this.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 pm

At worst, GMJR viewed this draft as a bunch of second rate Nancy boys and (obviously) worth less than a journeyman tough guy.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 pm

I think time with an assistant coach like Tocchet can only help Reaves as well.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Reaves is functional toughness...fine 4th liner...

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Hmm...this was posted on St. Louis Game Time four days ago, when the Blues opted to protect Reaves over Perron:

Here’s the real bill of goods: Reaves changed his game and worked his ass off to improve before the 2016-17 season, increasing his speed on the ice, and his puck handling. In addition to the 239 hits dished out on the ice, Reaves scored a career high seven goals to go with six assists. He had eleven takeaways and only four giveaways, and his penalty minutes hung lower than usual at 104 in 80 games.

Having Reaves provides the Blues with their only real size on the roster, and it helps that he can play a little these days. Back in 2012-13, Reaves got into 13 fights, but didn’t offer much else to the Blues, scoring by luck or stuffing a puck into the net. This past season, Reaves offered six fights, double the aggression, and was simply a smarter player on the ice.

Let’s be honest, the Blues need a guy like Reaves to climb onto the ice, immediately putting the other team on notice for having their ass handed to them. He doesn’t just hit the other guy; he runs them the **** over. He is feared on the ice, and is the only Blue who can police opposing players out there. If Pittsburgh had Reaves, Sidney Crosby may not have six concussions during his career (not that anyone in Pitt is complaining right now, or ever).
The bold part of that post is the single dumbest thing I've read in some time.

This trade is very bad but ultimately it's not determinative of a three peat so ill move on.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:10 pm

lol shaf

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Reaves is functional toughness...fine 4th liner...
Just watched some Youtube vids of him, jesus. Not really what I wanted in the long run. ... but Tom Wilson is not going to do a damn thing this year. Even though Reaves won't be skating top 6, Dubinsky and Hartnell will also be quieter. Seems to be a bit Barnaby/Talbot/Biz mix.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:15 pm

The bold part of that post is the single dumbest thing I've read in some time.

This trade is very bad but ultimately it's not determinative of a three peat so ill move on.
How is this trade even remotely close to very bad? Late pick in a bad draft and a nothing prospect for someone who fills a role the organization is looking for.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 pm

We traded down effectively nowhere and picked up a need...and he isn't a goon. He is the strongest guy in the league, big hitter but he can actually play on the 4th line...

spiritfan

Postby spiritfan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 pm

time to win is NOW... 3peat... Reaves scores 10 goals this season and rocks a few Flyers and Caps and it's worth it... can't believe there are Pens fans who always wanna go bridge jumping and not parade planning... probably closer Caps fans... guess Spiritfan has finally figured out the boards.... hA... now let's see some German beer chicks!...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 pm

We traded down effectively nowhere and picked up a need...and he isn't a goon. He is the strongest guy in the league, big hitter but he can actually play on the 4th line...
But but but but OSCAR SUNDQVIST!

My favorite reaction I've seen on HF is "well who's going to play center now?" Literally anyone else in the world because it was never going to be Sundqvist anyways.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 pm

What the ****