Prospect Thread

Corvidae

Prospect Thread

Postby Corvidae » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:05 am

...just because I think we should have one.

Teddy Blueger's #1 ranked Minnesota Mankato was bounced in the first round by RIT. He was a -2 with 1 assist, giving him 28 points (10+18) in 37 games. This concludes his 3rd year so I'm not sure if he's going pro or staying in college for the full four.

Little Jake Guentzel scored in Omaha's win over Harvard. They're playing RIT tomorrow for a chance at the Frozen Four. You may remember them from other Penguin prospects such as Jayson Megna and Josh Archibald.

Sundqvist and Skelleftea won game one of the SHL semi-finals against Linköpings. I believe they are major favorites to win the title again this year. No points for Sundqvist, who has 2 assists in 6 playoffs games this year. He plays more of a utility roll, up and down the lineup and occasionally both sides of special teams. Kind of like Nick Spaling if he wasn't as generic.

Kasperi and KalPa are down 3-2 in the opening round to Lukko. Game 6 is on 3/30 if they lose out I'd expect him to join WBS shortly after. He has 5 assists in 5 games so far.

Matt Murray is 6'7" 142 lbs.
Last edited by Corvidae on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corvidae

Prospect Thread

Postby Corvidae » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm

KalPa eliminated today. I imagine that we'll be seeing Kapanen join WBS this week.

cma3585

Prospect Thread

Postby cma3585 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Excited to see/hear what Kapanen can do at the AHL level.

Avyran

Prospect Thread

Postby Avyran » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:18 pm

#Pens in the process of bringing prospect Kasperi Kapanen to WBS by end of the week, per GM Jim Rutherford who said "That's the first step."
Never heard of Jenn before, but she's apparently a beat writer for the P-G.

mikey

Prospect Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:26 pm

I posted this is another thread, belongs here more:

Sundqvist looks good. He plays LW (but is a natural center), usually with Kirill Kabanov down the stretch here...Skelleftea has been riddled with injury all year...weird that we dip into Sweden one time in the last decade practically, and he's trending towards being an NHLer. I think the only other one was a weak toss at Viktor Ekbom or some noise...behind that it was Johannes Salomonsson I think...that's brutal to leave that country alone for so long...

Anywho, Sundqvist is looking good...he's in the mold of the team that we're trying to build here...

Also, it appears as if Kasperi Kapanen is coming to North America to stay next year...AHL-bound I believe...

Kicksave

Prospect Thread

Postby Kicksave » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:32 pm

https://twitter.com/JennMenendez/status ... 7271714817
#Pens in the process of bringing prospect Kasperi Kapanen to WBS by end of the week, per GM Jim Rutherford who said "That's the first step."

Pitts

Prospect Thread

Postby Pitts » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:34 pm

KalPa eliminated today. I imagine that we'll be seeing Kapanen join WBS this week.
:thumb: Excited. I'll bet he''ll be a Black Ace as well. Could be a secret weapon come playoff time.

Craig

Prospect Thread

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:35 pm

I really doubt that. He needs to be playing in wbs. Unless something prevents him from playing for them in the playoffs. I cant see him being considered for an nhl spot.

Dickie Dunn

Prospect Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Black Aces usually don't come around until WBS is eliminated from the playoffs, so I definitely think KK would be part of it. Practice with the big club and the only high end offensive talent in the system, no reason to send him packing.

darkstar57

Prospect Thread

Postby darkstar57 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Would be good experience for him to be around the team as well during the playoffs even if he is just practicing

Morkle

Prospect Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Yea I'd rather he get at least a year in WBS unless he absolutely forces the Pens management's hand.

Pavement

Prospect Thread

Postby Pavement » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Anyone seem much of him playing this season?

Dickie Dunn

Prospect Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 pm

No, but I remember early in the season he was pretty much a point per game player, went to the World Juniors where he sucked, and finished the season with 21 points in 41 games, but had 5 assists in 5 playoff games. So I guess take from that what you will.

Pitts

Prospect Thread

Postby Pitts » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm

I really doubt that. He needs to be playing in wbs. Unless something prevents him from playing for them in the playoffs. I cant see him being considered for an nhl spot.
Actually, if you read Dejan's comments on him, the playoffs seem to be exactly why they are bringing him over. From what I read, he's only going to WBS until the playoffs due to cap restraints.

mikey

Prospect Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 pm

I don't really believe that, unless they feel in the AHL that he looks NHL ready...but I have my doubts. Plus at game 10 (inb4 "we wont make it that far") in the NHL, he burns a year...

Is he better than Craig Adams in a vacuum? Yes, of course. But does that get him a jersey in the playoffs...? Bleh, that seems kind of unlikely...I'd be kind of surprised if he played even one NHL game (no injuries) in this jaunt...

shafnutz05

Prospect Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Actually, if you read Dejan's comments on him, the playoffs seem to be exactly why they are bringing him over. From what I read, he's only going to WBS until the playoffs due to cap restraints.
Wow, that's interesting if true. Fill out the bottom six somewhere?

Corvidae

Prospect Thread

Postby Corvidae » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:17 pm

No, but I remember early in the season he was pretty much a point per game player, went to the World Juniors where he sucked, and finished the season with 21 points in 41 games, but had 5 assists in 5 playoff games. So I guess take from that what you will.
I'm hearing that his overall compete level, if I can borrow a term from HCMJ, dropped after the World Juniors and it's not a statistical abnormality that his point totals leveled off along with it. I haven't seen anything beyond clips and highlights but I'm not terribly worried. If anyone thought he was going straight from Finland to NHL top six you won't like what's about to happen but he has the all around talent to get there sooner or later. He'll need some 2nd/3rd line time under Hynes and some protein shake time with Gary Roberts
Last edited by Corvidae on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corvidae

Prospect Thread

Postby Corvidae » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:21 pm

I hope that's not true. Give non-descript but OK AHLers Rust or Wilson a chance first. Both are a little older and have a little more meat. Plus Mr. Sundvist may be available and would be a better fit. He should have been on the team day one but he wasn't able to out one-way contract Craig Adams. :roll:

Craig

Prospect Thread

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:13 pm

Actually, if you read Dejan's comments on him,
I don't. And I wont.

Pitts

Prospect Thread

Postby Pitts » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 am

I don't. And I wont.
Oh, so we'll just take YOUR word on it then...

Silentom

Prospect Thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:39 am

:pop:

Craig

Prospect Thread

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 am

I don't. And I wont.
Oh, so we'll just take YOUR word on it then...
No, just dont take his word either. It flies in the face of the history of nhl player development.

Dickie Dunn

Prospect Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 am

Wow, that's interesting if true. Fill out the bottom six somewhere?
Certainly hope not. He's even less suited for the bottom six than Bennett.

Corvidae

Prospect Thread

Postby Corvidae » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Picture of Kapanen from Twitter in February (courtesy of HFboards):

I wish I could somehow buy a jersey of that picture.

Also, Jake Guentzel going to Frozen Four with Omaha. 38 pounds in 35 games is nothing to sneeze at (13+25). He's just so small though... (twss) Doesn't seem to be as fast as Archibald but may be a better overall player. Better dish-man for sure. For the record, I'm very disappointed that Archibald didn't make more of an impact at the AHL level immediately. My expectations may have been a little high but I thought he'd hit the ground running, giving WBS some explosiveness they've missed since... ever?

Awesome D there, guys. I think he's playing the Penguins after the Penguins just scored.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Prospect Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 pm

That's Colorado College Guentzel is scoring on. They had a...ahem...less than stellar season. Mainly because they couldn't keep the puck out of their net.