mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:01 pm

That's one of the things about being a sports fan. We project so much onto players....Bonino is having a great time here! He should stick around for a long time, it just makes sense! I do it too. At the end of the day, these guys have families and interests. Nashville is certainly a very attractive destination, so it's hard to blame him.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:02 pm

I'll never understand what would compel a civilian to make a comment like that. What are you up to

/s/ xennial
He's one of my friends from high school/hockey. He tries to be smart but as you can see, it backfires. Hard.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Dude helped us win back to back Cups. Sucks that he left, but I get it.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Pens remain patient on finding a center
Rowney could fill the fourth line center role. But that means the team still needs a pivot on the third line. But Pittsburgh feels it is important not to overpay for a center. In fact, the team is willing to start the season without adding a center if it comes to that.

"It's important now not to panic and go after somebody just to say that we got a center," Rutherford said. "I've talked to the coach (Mike Sullivan) about this. He said as long as I've got my two big guys healthy (Crosby and Malkin) I can work around anything early in the season."

Sullivan would have to be very creative with his roster in that scenario, but the Pens will remain patient with their process.

"We'll move on one when we're comfortable with somebody that we like," Rutherford said. "It could be in the next day. It could take us a couple of months. It could take us early in the season before it happens."
Lord knows Sully can; he's had a ton of practice.

Of course, JR's talking via the media to potential trade partners.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:07 pm

I trust our management, but I'd certainly prefer going into the season with a 3C - especially if Cullen winds up leaving/retiring.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:20 pm

That's one of the things about being a sports fan. We project so much onto players....Bonino is having a great time here! He should stick around for a long time, it just makes sense! I do it too. At the end of the day, these guys have families and interests. Nashville is certainly a very attractive destination, so it's hard to blame him.
Fan is short for "fanatic."

The only time I was upset enough at a player's departure to the point of anger and welling up was when Bobby Bonilla went to the Mets. To this day, I can remember the feeling but not the exact reason why; I must've been having a bad day. It's worked out for him. :D

After a prolific but brief 2-year stint? Bert Blyleven demanding a trade and going to the Indians. I was rather young, though.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Well, that's more than enough for one day. I'm going out to dinner.
Which hopefully means Duchene to PIT in a Kessel-like deal.
See you guys later. Have a nice weekend!

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Pitt is actually a University

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 pm

That dude protected his twitter account. lol.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 pm

The only time I was upset enough at a player's departure to the point of anger and welling up was when Bobby Bonilla went to the Mets. To this day, I can remember the feeling but not the exact reason why; I must've been having a bad day. It's worked out for him. :D
Damn right it worked out for him. He just got paid $1.1 million today and he hasn't played an inning since 2001 (and will keep getting paid on July 1 for another 18 years!!).

As for our departures today, I look at it like this: I'll always complain when guys who have been on crap teams decide to chase the money to sign with bottom feeders like the Bengals or the Nets or the Canucks. I wonder why you wouldn't want to go play for a potential winner while making a couple million less than maybe you think your market value is (a couple million to them is like a thousand or two to us...Uncle Sam will grab that difference anyway). But Daley and Bonino, they've won back-to-back Cups. They've reached the top of the mountain professionally. Now it's time to take advantage of the leverage of having been major cogs on those championship teams and cash in. Though I do wish Bonino hadn't gone to Catfishville, the only team in the West I didn't want to see him go to.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 pm

The way the league works these days, plus what the Pens have been able to accomplish with such a variety of skill sets over the last few years, i'm having a hard time understanding if any team has really made itself more of a threat so far in FA/trades.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 pm

I value what bonino did but I don't feel any sentimental attachment and I'm not super worried about the void he's leaving behind.

Daley stings a little only because he seemed like an important personality and Detroit is going to suck for his entire time there. I don't really get why we couldn't make it work - unless we really knew something about how long his body will last.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:05 pm

I value what bonino did but I don't feel any sentimental attachment and I'm not super worried about the void he's leaving behind.

Daley stings a little only because he seemed like an important personality and Detroit is going to suck for his entire time there. I don't really get why we couldn't make it work - unless we really knew something about how long his body will last.
GMJR saw Daley and Hunwick as pretty equal players, though Daley brings more offense and Hunwick is great on the PK. That being said, the Pens save $1 million by taking Hunwick over Daley. And that made it much easier to sign Schultz. I wouldn't be surprised if the durability of Daley's body was a factor as well.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 pm

It's probably a rational decision.

I'm going to spin it as them expecting Murray to be hurt. Again. For fun.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 am

Sounds OK to me. The important thing is that Murray is as prepared as possible when the playoffs starts.
If he is more healthy playing fewer games during the season, I can live with potentially losing a few points / home ice. We still have to pass through Columbus and/or Washington.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:24 am

Is he just expecting Murray to get hurt again?

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:19 pm

I could be reading too much into it, but I think JR's saying this to give Niemi some confidence.

As for Murray: JR could also be trying to alleviate some pressure for Murray, in that Murray shouldn't feel he needs to carry the team with a Brodeur-like workload. OTOH, JR could be trying to maintain a sense of competition between goalies in order to maximize the output of both.

As a former goalie, JR understands how their weird minds work.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:23 pm

It's really easy to sit here and say he doesn't love Pittsburgh because he took another deal. But how loyal would you be to a job you loved if another place offered potentially 25% more pay?
Exactly
I think that's an argument that is less apropos when someone is making millions vs. when someone is making, for example, regular John or Jane Doe money. I can only answer your question by speaking from experience: I regretted jumping for money once, and at a different time, even took a major (like 50%) pay cut in favor of being happy.

I hope he's happy in Nashville and does well in his larger role--except vs. the Pens, of course. Although Nashville? Too soon, Bones. Ugh.

Anyway, it's done, it's Bones' prerogative, and good for him. He earned it. I just find the farewell song and violins quite disingenuous.

I think it is even more appropriate. These guys only have so many years till their career is over, especially guys of his skill set. It's not like guys like bonino are going to get huge marketing and endorsement deals when their career is over.
Fair point, and when it comes down to it, people are complicated, and decisions they make sometimes, not always, reflect that.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Hey, apparently I am nicer here than on lgp... so... You're all stupid.

How dare you say Hunwick and Cole are similar players?

How dare you not suggest a trade that includes Hornqvist EVERY FRIKIN DAY?

How dare you not obsess constantly about the 3C position?

How dare you not suggest moving a solid player and a pick for a player that Chicago was so desperate to get rid of that they gave him away for NOTHING?

How dare you not talk out of your asses all of the time?

Mock mock mock mock mock!!!

Do you all feel considerably ridiculed and mocked?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Stop being stupid.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:16 pm

What kind of psychopath includes a file extension in a YouTube video?

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:28 pm

I think Duchene is going to be a penguin

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Mock mock mock mock mock!!!

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:32 pm

I think Duchene is going to be a penguin
Even if that is true, if you were a hockey player you would wear your IQ on your back...