Yohe leaves Trib to join DK

cma3585

Postby cma3585 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

http://twitter.com/JYohe_PGHSports - RT @JYohe_PGHSports: Happy to announce I have resigned from the Trib and will be joining @Dejan_Kovacevic on a full time basis at http://t.co/YRsa3u7Yff

Somehow now two bloggers are Pittsburgh sports biggest insiders. Probably a partial middle finger to Rossi. Trib has to be furious.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 pm

wow... DK (and to an extent Yohe) with a power move.

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 pm

As much as I hate DK, I like this project. I still won't subscribe, because I don't think Yohe is that good either, but I hope things like this work out. Maybe the next Jesse that comes around won't be corrupted by the appeal of working with media.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon May 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Jesse got corrupted?

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 pm

You read any of his crap defending the least credible hack in the city solely because he could get some of his writing pumped up?

Yes corrupted is the right word

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon May 04, 2015 10:02 pm

I wouldn't pay for it, but I like DK's site (the new addition aside). I wish he had a regular radio show, because he's pretty good at that medium.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 pm

You don't need to pay to read DK's blog.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 pm

You read any of his crap defending the least credible hack in the city solely because he could get some of his writing pumped up?

Wants to be part of the club.

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Wants to be part of the club.
Quite.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Mon May 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Maybe he'll clean off the Trib residue & become a better reporter again.

I can pass along DK posts to the board if folks want to read 'em.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Really interesting move. This could be the future of journalism in the age of electronic media. Who needs the middle man (in this case, the Tribune-Review Publishing Company) when all you need is a website and press credentials? I might even consider paying to read DK's site instead of the drivel the Trib pedals.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon May 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Hell no. He was defending Rossi?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Is this true? The last time I looked, I was prompted to login.

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Hell no. He was defending Rossi?
Numerous times

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 04, 2015 11:37 pm

I pay for DK's site. Really not that expensive.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 04, 2015 11:42 pm

This is a solid move. Haven't got a subscription, but may pull the trigger just to support the project.

The trib has to be reeling from this.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:03 am

Very interesting move. I've enjoyed DK's content, well worth the $25 or whatever it was...and I'm someone who HATES paying for news content :lol:

cadams

Postby cadams » Tue May 05, 2015 8:05 am

This is a solid move. Haven't got a subscription, but may pull the trigger just to support the project.

I would suspect the Trib is laughing at this which is why they are probably in bad shape overall with the rest of the papers in this country not identifying how delivering information actaully works in the 21st century.

I follow the columnists and news sites on Twitter to get notified when news breaks or when they have new columns. I can't remeber the last time I actually went to a news website or even an agregate like Drudge since everything shows up in my Twitter feed.

Dejan gets how things work today and both him and Yohe interect an Twitter very well. You build what looks like a personal relationship with people they will be more likely to pay for your work because they can see who it supports prettty much directly.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:21 am

Trib was reeling long before this.

I was reading an article the other day, Richard Scaife's children are suing the trustees of his estate for mismanagement. One of the things that came out was Scaife pumped 700 million into the Trib to keep it afloat. He was a billionaire. Was, apparently there is something like 60k left in the estate.

He's dead, the money is gone...I can't see this paper surviving much longer.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 am

Whoa. Didn't know about Scaife's estate's lawsuit.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am

Trib was reeling long before this.

I was reading an article the other day, Richard Scaife's children are suing the trustees of his estate for mismanagement. One of the things that came out was Scaife pumped 700 million into the Trib to keep it afloat. He was a billionaire. Was, apparently there is something like 60k left in the estate.

He's dead, the money is gone...I can't see this paper surviving much longer.
It was regarding one of the trusts. From what I understand, this specific trust was to the deceased Scaife, from his mother to him, and the proceeds after death were to go to his kids....It seems like Scaife was using that money to fund the Trib media garbage and that paper ended up draining the trust...probably cause they knew his kids weren't interested in fighting the good fight like the hero their father was.

The trustees brought up how both Scaife kids get something like a $1,000,000 per month each from their other trusts.

I'm thinking the paper has that money stashed away and will keep the enterprise going indefinitely.

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:40 am

Is this true? The last time I looked, I was prompted to login.
You get several free articles a month I believe, then it will block you. I pay for it. Not as big of a Steelers and Pirates fan as I used to be, but I'd pay for just the Penguins pieces.

I suspect Yohe wasn't happy with his situation at the Trib, and things got worse when Rossi and the editor decided to run the piece about Rutherford. The #FreeYohe and #StealYohe stuff happened right after that article came out.

For DK, he is really showing that his method is very viable. He mentioned on his site previously that he has helped two others to start the same type of site (I think both guys were mainly baseball guys). He hit 10,000 subscribers (yearly or 3 year) in less than a year. That's a minimum of $180,000 a year. He's got a web guy, his wife, travel expenses, Yohe now full time. He had Metzer doing reporting on Penguins when he was covering something else; I'd expect Yohe to do that now. He mentions on his site he had been targeting to get Yohe on board when the site first started, but his wife made him make sure the site was successful first.....this was a long time in the making, apparently. DK does radio and podcasts with Madden, Metzer, and a few others. Major sponsors in Allegheny Health, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, some other major sponsor I can't remember. Very successful first year, and won't be surprised to see more people go this route.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 am

It was regarding one of the trusts. From what I understand, this specific trust was to the deceased Scaife, from his mother to him, and the proceeds after death were to go to his kids....It seems like Scaife was using that money to fund the Trib media garbage and that paper ended up draining the trust...probably cause they knew his kids weren't interested in fighting the good fight like the hero their father was.

The trustees brought up how both Scaife kids get something like a $1,000,000 per month each from their other trusts.

I'm thinking the paper has that money stashed away and will keep the enterprise going indefinitely.
I honestly don't know how long 700mil would last to keep a paper afloat.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 05, 2015 10:48 am

One of the sunk costs of the Trib was Scaife's vanity purchases of all the minor local papers in places like McKeesport.

I'd hate to see TribLive Radio go away.

Steigerwald intimated that one of the reasons why his contract with the Trib was not renewed was due to the need to cut costs (also something that led to DK taking the leap when he did).

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 05, 2015 1:05 pm

I honestly don't know how long 700mil would last to keep a paper afloat.
Pretty long if they're making 5% on their money and having 35 mil to spend without dipping into the 700