TRADE: Perron and Clendening to ANA for Carl Hagelin

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:38 am

@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m4 minutes ago
ANA trades Carl Hagelin to PIT for David Perron and Adam Clendening.
Hagelin has 12 points in 43 games, 3 in his last 2. Has been playing on their 2nd line with Silfverberg and Kesler.

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:05 am

Interesting. Is Hagelin UFA at seasons end or does he have term?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:22 am

He was signed to a 4 year deal this past summer by the Ducks. $4 mil per.

For comparison's sake, Perron's hit was $3.82 mil, but expires this summer.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 am

I... I don't like this trade. Hagelin doesn't provide the intangibles that Perron does and is just as streaky, for more $$. Yes, he has speed, but IMO he doesn't do much more than that. I might be rating him too low, but *shrug*

At least Perron went to the net & could forecheck / cycle. I don't trust Hagelin to do that.

Edit: Quotes from Rutherford say this is largely because of Hagelin's speed (Sullivan has coached him). There's also some saying Clendening was thrown in to give the Ducks another NHL defender so they can go hard for Drouin.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:31 am

I don't really care for this deal. Perron's upside is much higher in almost every way compared to Hagelin. Hagelin is one of the fastest players in the entire league, no question. But he has limited use. He has no other redeeming quality really...

Don't care about losing Clendening, never cared for him and he never played. But I was scared we were gonna move on from Perron when his value was low instead of trying to re-sign him when his value is low. It's a poor judge of talent I think.

Team speed is improved, flow is improved, and I know people get upset with Perron because he hasn't scored the requisite number of goals in the last month or two so therefore he's useless or whatever...but Perron is better in traffic, better finisher, more physical, more willing to go to the net, better skill, better hockey sense...I mean, at least at some point Perron was a finisher in his career, I'd rather bet on that...Hagelin, maybe because of his stupid visor, is pretty soft and has no shot at all...

He was just traded for a waive-able player that was clearly tracking towards being a bust (Emerson Etem) and now he nets David Perron...hoping for the best, but the only thing we get out of this is speed...but speed is only useful if you can do something with it...Hagelin is always in a hurry, if only he had some place to be...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:31 am

Hate it. Although I probably shouldn't be, considering we swapped a soon-to-be UFA for a much-needed LW with term.
Last edited by Gaucho on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:44 am

Perron's a free agent at the end of the season, and was unlikely to sign here. I don't care how much everyone talks about his upside, he has been a complete bust here outside of the first month in a Pens jersey.

Good riddance.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:54 am

So Hagelin is Konstantin Koltsov 2.0?

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:56 am

Looks like DK scooped the P-G and Trib. Neither site has the news up yet.

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/01/1 ... ng-perron/

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 am

Molinari had it posted, but it's in the Sports Blogger section (link).

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:51 am

Interesting. Maybe a change for the sake of change move. At least Rutherford won't be able to throw a four year deal at Perron.
Last edited by columbia on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:55 am

I don't hate the trade, but I'm not celebrating it either. Perron has been in a bit of a funk all year. I do think he's a better player than what we've seen, but perhaps a change of scenery will do him well. I wish him the best of luck in California. As for Haglin, he's one of those players that I've irrationally hated since he's come to the league. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but let's see what he can do. The contract situation makes the trade a little better if he can be productive. For some reason I thought Haglin was much younger than Perron. He's not. They're both 27, but Perron has been playing in the NHL since '07, where as Haglin went the college route and has been in the NHL since '11

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:07 am

As for Haglin, he's one of those players that I've irrationally hated since he's come to the league.
It's the way he wears his visor. It angers people.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:09 am

As for Haglin, he's one of those players that I've irrationally hated since he's come to the league.
I don't think that's it. I think it's just his face. Of course I can see more of his face because of the way he wears his visor, so maybe you're right. :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:12 am

I don't think that's it. I think it's just his face. Of course I can see more of his face because of the way he wears his visor, so maybe you're right. :lol:
That's why I can't stand him. You're not in the A or in the Coast where you have to wear a visor. And I'm pretty sure he got grandfathered in and isn't required to wear one. It doesn't matter. Either wear it properly or don't wear it.

Also, I don't like this move, but whatevs. Neither player is/was moving the needle for this team

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:14 am

Hagelin always seemed to give us fits when he was with the Rangers...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:16 am

Part of the reason he was hated was a) he killed the pens and b) he is sort of an annoying little f***ker. He is smaller but I think he has a little more grit in the sense of he won't take any crap from other players

relantel

Postby relantel » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 am

A first for Hagelin? Yikes.

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 am

You can defend Perron all you want, he was a bust here and it wasn't for lack of opportunity. His game the other night against Carolina was downright awful. I was excited when we acquired him, but after his productive start he went downhill quickly. Sure he has a history, but he wasn't producing or helping now.

Hagelin will address our speed and can help fill the void left on the PK by the Bonino injury. I'm not a fan of the term, but maybe just maybe they view him as a Dupuis type fit with Sid due to his speed.

I liked Perron but there's no hiding the fact that he wasn't an effective player here. What have you done for me lately? Not much unfortunately.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:43 am

You can defend Perron all you want, he was a bust here and it wasn't for lack of opportunity. His game the other night against Carolina was downright awful. I was excited when we acquired him, but after his productive start he went downhill quickly. Sure he has a history, but he wasn't producing or helping now.

Hagelin will address our speed and can help fill the void left on the PK by the Bonino injury. I'm not a fan of the term, but maybe just maybe they view him as a Dupuis type fit with Sid due to his speed.

I liked Perron but there's no hiding the fact that he wasn't an effective player here. What have you done for me lately? Not much unfortunately.
I agree with this sentiment. And Perron has basically had a bad 1 1/2 years when you consider he wasn't playing well at all for the Oilers before the trade to Pittsburgh. He had a short run before his injury here, but that is a long time ago.

It sucks we basically gave up a first for Hagelin essentially, but Perron's value has diminished. While Hagelin hasn't had a great year for the Ducks (who has), he had two very good years for the NYR before that.

I think his speed and versatility is important. I mean, he's basically a younger Pascal Dupuis in many ways, maybe with slightly better hands.

I still think the Pens are a tough 2nd pairing defenseman and another forward away from really competing. Maybe that happens in trades this year, maybe we do some work in the offseason.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:50 am

I don't really care for this deal. Perron's upside is much higher in almost every way compared to Hagelin. Hagelin is one of the fastest players in the entire league, no question. But he has limited use. He has no other redeeming quality really...

Don't care about losing Clendening, never cared for him and he never played. But I was scared we were gonna move on from Perron when his value was low instead of trying to re-sign him when his value is low. It's a poor judge of talent I think.

Team speed is improved, flow is improved, and I know people get upset with Perron because he hasn't scored the requisite number of goals in the last month or two so therefore he's useless or whatever...but Perron is better in traffic, better finisher, more physical, more willing to go to the net, better skill, better hockey sense...I mean, at least at some point Perron was a finisher in his career, I'd rather bet on that...Hagelin, maybe because of his stupid visor, is pretty soft and has no shot at all...

He was just traded for a waive-able player that was clearly tracking towards being a bust (Emerson Etem) and now he nets David Perron...hoping for the best, but the only thing we get out of this is speed...but speed is only useful if you can do something with it...Hagelin is always in a hurry, if only he had some place to be...

People want to see FHCMJ fired
Mikey objects
FHCMJ fired

People carp about Perron
Mikey objects
Perron traded

You're on some kind of hot streak. :?:
Whatever you do, do not object, if people start complaining about Malkin. :pop:

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:51 am

Mikey objects
FHCMJ fired

People carp about Perron
Mikey objects
Perron traded

:lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:59 am

Typical c-unit...

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:59 am

Mikey objects
FHCMJ fired

People carp about Perron
Mikey objects
Perron traded

I didn't like the trade, but this gives me optimism.

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:08 am

There's no defending Perron. He struggled in Edmonton before coming to the Pens, started out hot here, then faded quick and never found it again.

Sorry but I'm not banking on a guy figuring it out after struggling for all but 3 weeks in the last 1.5 seasons. I'm not saying Hagelin is the guy, but moving on from Perron isn't the worst idea in the world. He wasn't helping, and didn't look to be figuring it out.