Music Thread

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat May 18, 2024 10:10 pm

Last weekend my MIL cleaned out a crawlspace under her steps and found a small box filled with probably 70 or so 45s. Some were hers, but others were her mom and dad's, so my wife's grandparents. Basically stuff from the 50s and 60s. Bobby Darin, the Supremes, Pat Boone, Johnny Cash, the Big Bopper, a comedy bit from Andy Griffith about football, and a ton of other stuff. Lots of old country and borderline bluegrass.

We ordered and received a little record player on Thursday and fired it up. Been having a blast listening thru some of this stuff.

I'm thinking of heading down to the Exchange on Mcknight to see what they have. I think there's another music store on Babcock as well. I've been warned that this can become a dangerous hobby, but looking forward to building out a decent selection for us to play. Our dance parties with our puppy just got a huge upgrade. :D
This one is right in my wheelhouse. I don't really collect 45s, I'm more an album guy. But that's a great find.

It's not that dangerous, you can get a ton of stuff for cheap. I've been collecting since I was in grade school, more or less. My collection currently stands at 1,000 records, all catalogued on Discogs. Total of the median sales values of my collection is around $11,000, so about $11 a record. I only recently passed $100 as my top item- an original press of Albert King's "Born Under a Bad Sign" album. It only gets dangerous investment-wise if you start getting into rare stuff- original blue note pressings, northern soul singles, certain Beatles releases. You can get a lot of cool stuff for next to nothing.

For singles, I recommend Jerry's in Squirrel Hill and The Attic in Millvale. Music to my Ear is the one on Babcock. It's very clean and organized. Jerry's is like a record warehouse exploded, although since Jerry sold it and passed away it's a bit more organized. The Attic is chock full and very tight quarters but for specific stuff, and Record Store Day, it's our go-to (my daughter collects too).

One of the regrets of my life is that I didn't tell my parents (and to be fair they didn't ask specifically) I wanted my grandparents' Victrola when they passed away and they asked what I wanted. I used to mess with that thing all the time. It played 78s, 45s, and had a radio. I would have loved to have that.

My wife told me for my birthday, she'd like to get me a vintage record player. While I'd have liked to have that one specifically for sentimental value, since that's not a possibility I'm thinking more 50s-60s vintage. Something I can spin the older more beat up stuff in my collection on.

faftorial

Music Thread

Postby faftorial » Sat May 18, 2024 11:03 pm

Last weekend my MIL cleaned out a crawlspace under her steps and found a small box filled with probably 70 or so 45s. Some were hers, but others were her mom and dad's, so my wife's grandparents. Basically stuff from the 50s and 60s. Bobby Darin, the Supremes, Pat Boone, Johnny Cash, the Big Bopper, a comedy bit from Andy Griffith about football, and a ton of other stuff. Lots of old country and borderline bluegrass.

We ordered and received a little record player on Thursday and fired it up. Been having a blast listening thru some of this stuff.

I'm thinking of heading down to the Exchange on Mcknight to see what they have. I think there's another music store on Babcock as well. I've been warned that this can become a dangerous hobby, but looking forward to building out a decent selection for us to play. Our dance parties with our puppy just got a huge upgrade. :D
This one is right in my wheelhouse. I don't really collect 45s, I'm more an album guy. But that's a great find.

It's not that dangerous, you can get a ton of stuff for cheap. I've been collecting since I was in grade school, more or less. My collection currently stands at 1,000 records, all catalogued on Discogs. Total of the median sales values of my collection is around $11,000, so about $11 a record. I only recently passed $100 as my top item- an original press of Albert King's "Born Under a Bad Sign" album. It only gets dangerous investment-wise if you start getting into rare stuff- original blue note pressings, northern soul singles, certain Beatles releases. You can get a lot of cool stuff for next to nothing.

For singles, I recommend Jerry's in Squirrel Hill and The Attic in Millvale. Music to my Ear is the one on Babcock. It's very clean and organized. Jerry's is like a record warehouse exploded, although since Jerry sold it and passed away it's a bit more organized. The Attic is chock full and very tight quarters but for specific stuff, and Record Store Day, it's our go-to (my daughter collects too).

One of the regrets of my life is that I didn't tell my parents (and to be fair they didn't ask specifically) I wanted my grandparents' Victrola when they passed away and they asked what I wanted. I used to mess with that thing all the time. It played 78s, 45s, and had a radio. I would have loved to have that.

My wife told me for my birthday, she'd like to get me a vintage record player. While I'd have liked to have that one specifically for sentimental value, since that's not a possibility I'm thinking more 50s-60s vintage. Something I can spin the older more beat up stuff in my collection on.
Did you have many without a UPC code? And narrow it down to the specific release on discogs.

genoscoif

Music Thread

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 18, 2024 11:17 pm

Thank you...this entire post is amazing!

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat May 18, 2024 11:33 pm

Did you have many without a UPC code? And narrow it down to the specific release on discogs.
Oh yes, I've spent many hours trying to get a good angle to make out runout etchings and find the exact pressings.

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:59 am

Yeah, that's good stuff Ronnie. How do you store/sort them?

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun May 19, 2024 10:55 am

Yeah, that's good stuff Ronnie. How do you store/sort them?
I sort them alphabetically by artist, then earliest release to most recent.

I use the IKEA Kallax bookshelves which are 1’ cubes and perfect for record storage.

nocera

Music Thread

Postby nocera » Sun May 19, 2024 1:01 pm

Speaking of vintage record players, I just bought a 1948 Philco 1405 that has two arms, one for 33s and another for 78s. Never seen that before. My father in law is real into restoring vintage record players/radios (retired dudes, right?) so he’s currently fixing it up for us.

Not my photos:
Last edited by nocera on Sun May 19, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm

I like how things used to be made to be able to be fixed, even smaller electronics like that.

nocera

Music Thread

Postby nocera » Sun May 19, 2024 2:42 pm

Oh my FiL is happier than a pig in **** working on this. I’ll get photos whenever he does something like replace the tubes or restores a belt. He also put me on the case to find schematics and manuals. Not surprisingly, there are communities on the internet full of nerds into exactly this and they digitized the original manuals from the late 40s. It’s cool looking through those manuals and how detailed they were compared to today’s. They are full on schematics with details on how to care and repair every single part down to drawings and measurements of individual washers and screws.

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun May 19, 2024 7:14 pm

I don't think I have ever seen one with two tone arms like that. Pretty sweet. You should have a different stylus for 78s than 33/45s and that's a pretty genius way to avoid switching it.

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 23, 2024 11:24 am

So this happened yesterday..... it's my Birthday/Father's Day/Anniversary/possibly Christmas present. It was way more than I would have spent otherwise, since we don't have our own accounts I'm the one who has to figure out the financials on it... but I've wanted something like this forever. It sounds great already but will be fully restored, cleaned up, re-greased, and delivered. Can't wait to get it.

https://sweetmodern.com/products/1962-b ... 46373/c55/

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 pm

So this happened yesterday..... it's my Birthday/Father's Day/Anniversary/possibly Christmas present. It was way more than I would have spent otherwise, since we don't have our own accounts I'm the one who has to figure out the financials on it... but I've wanted something like this forever. It sounds great already but will be fully restored, cleaned up, re-greased, and delivered. Can't wait to get it.

https://sweetmodern.com/products/1962-b ... 46373/c55/
That is beautiful :thumb:

nocera

Music Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 23, 2024 5:31 pm

I have to admit I was skeptical of shad’s “beautiful” comment before I clicked the link. He’s right. That thing is gorgeous.

faftorial

Music Thread

Postby faftorial » Thu May 23, 2024 6:00 pm

Agreed. That's a beauty.

People post consoles on r/vintageaudio almost daily and most are utter crap solid state units from the late 60's and ones from the 70's that are made out of plastic. I look forward to seeing the innards of this one. I have a 1965 Realistic Tube integrated amp (point to point wiring) with a whopping 15 AMPS that I need to get out. I'm guessing it was pulled from a console as it didn't come with a cover. The thing is built like the tank and the knobs are heavy and spin like no other electronics I've used.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:38 pm

One of the HGTV fixy-reno shows from places in the south where you can buy and down-to-the-studs renovate a house for $12 recently did a project where they found one of those old combo TV+record player+radio things with wonky/missing electronics and turned it into a console table/bar. It was *borat* Very Nice.

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 23, 2024 10:26 pm

The tube sound is what did it for me. We were listening to the various units with the owner while I was trying to decide, it's incredible what they can do today with all the modern tools, but back in the 50s/early 60s they were doing all this stuff with vacuum tubes. They have a Motorola with an early subwoofer. The separation they got of the highs to the mains with the lows to the sub just using tubes, just blows me away.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu May 23, 2024 11:13 pm

Speaking of vintage record players, I just bought a 1948 Philco 1405 that has two arms, one for 33s and another for 78s. Never seen that before. My father in law is real into restoring vintage record players/radios (retired dudes, right?) so he’s currently fixing it up for us.

Not my photos:
I picked up a shell of an old Philco Model 60 cathedral about two weeks ago at a yard sale. For $10, it was one of those things that I figured I'd find some use for. If I didn't, at worst it's a decoration that will collect dust on a shelf somewhere.

(also not the actual item, but the same model)

I don't plan on doing anything too detailed with it. Probably throw an Amazon dot in it and maybe some LED lights where it would provide a soft glow through the mesh and where the radio dial used to be.

faftorial

Music Thread

Postby faftorial » Thu May 23, 2024 11:26 pm

The Philadelphia Battery Company.

Ford bought them in the early 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philco

I have a tube Philco radio I used to listen to Pens games on when I smoked in the kitchen in the mid 90's.

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 24, 2024 8:45 pm

Not my photos:
I picked up a shell of an old Philco Model 60 cathedral about two weeks ago at a yard sale. For $10, it was one of those things that I figured I'd find some use for. If I didn't, at worst it's a decoration that will collect dust on a shelf somewhere.

(also not the actual item, but the same model)

I don't plan on doing anything too detailed with it. Probably throw an Amazon dot in it and maybe some LED lights where it would provide a soft glow through the mesh and where the radio dial used to be.
I love this. I need more art deco stuff in my life.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 25, 2024 8:23 am

We all do.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun May 26, 2024 7:30 pm

The seller had another one there that was gutted, but he cut the top off so he could use it as a planter. :sigh:

I did thing about doing something similar with using light inside so it would produce some glow out of the top, but my sister told me "Don't do it. He really butchered that thing. It can't be saved."

dodint

Music Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 30, 2024 10:58 pm

Pumped Up Kicks was 13 years ago. how

faftorial

Music Thread

Postby faftorial » Fri May 31, 2024 2:01 pm

Elmo get slapped down over lawsuit:
A federal judge in California on Monday threw out the entirety of a lawsuit by Elon Musk’s X against the nonprofit Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH), ruling that the lawsuit was an attempt to silence X’s critics.

“X Corp.’s motivation in bringing this case is evident,” U.S. District Judge Charles R. Breyer wrote in a 52-page ruling. “X Corp. has brought this case in order to punish CCDH for CCDH publications that criticized X Corp. — and perhaps in order to dissuade others who might wish to engage in such criticism.”

“Sometimes it is unclear what is driving a litigation, and only by reading between the lines of a complaint can one attempt to surmise a plaintiff’s true purpose,” Breyer wrote. “Other times, a complaint is so unabashedly and vociferously about one thing that there can be no mistaking that purpose. This case represents the latter circumstance. This case is about punishing the Defendants for their speech.”
https://archive.ph/2aVgI#selection-1636.0-1665.408

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 31, 2024 5:35 pm

I just found out that these are a thing:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/promed ... ker-system

I had the Klipsch Promedia THX 2.1 system before the drivers in both monitors got punctured during one of our moves. These would be an excellent addition to my office space.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:03 am

Ill Communication turned 30 this week, if you can believe that. Such a huge record for my college years, which is strange thinking about as we are in the middle of dorm room reservations for my son at the very same college. Evidently a deluxe edition is coming out later this summer.

Speaking of deluxe editions, the 40th anniversary (!!!!) of Synchronicity will have a new remastered edition out this summer as well. This was the first album I really got into, and to this day it's one of my favorites. My issue is that I don't want to start collecting physical media for outdated mediums. We purged a lot of crap to move in 2022, and I'm digging that lean life. But man, would I love to get a remastered Synchronicity. All of the Police's albums don't sound great on CD or even lossless streaming on Apple Music. Just not mastered well, and most haven't been touched in 20 years. I may just bite the bullet and buy it.