Politics And Current Events

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:23 am

If you are wearing something equvilant or better than what you would normally be expected to wear, I don't see a problem with it.
if you're interviewing, you need to show 100% respect and commitment to who you're interviewing with. it shows that you can assimilate. you need to put the organization's standards and interests above your own. you have opportunity to show who you are and what you can do in the Q&A, but if you come in wearing clothes that aren't a total conformity to corporate standards, then it shows you are going to potentially be a problem down the road, and aren't going to be an engaged employee.

in this case, that would DEFINITELY have been true. so even if the interviewer used aesthetics as 100% of their criteria, it would have been very effective in weeding out an undesirable.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:24 am

I mean, I completely agree that it shouldn't matter, but the fact of the matter is that it DOES matter to most people that are in the position to hire you. I think this is entirely a pick your battles wisely kind of thing. As a person that is being interviewed, you have no freedom or leverage to do whatever you feel like doing. You need to tow the company line. I still think there's more here than what is being published... I'd be willing to bet that the person they hired is just as, if not more qualified for the position.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:25 am

I mean, I completely agree that it shouldn't matter
it definitely should matter, though. you need to use everything in your arsenal as an interviewer to figure out the person you're dealing with.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am

I mean, I completely agree that it shouldn't matter
it definitely should matter, though. you need to use everything in your arsenal as an interviewer to figure out the person you're dealing with.
I'm talking more in a perfect world where you can get to know the person entirely before making the hiring decision. The problem is that you have so little time in an interview that you need to put your absolute best foot forward. Being late and not dressed in business attire is not your best foot.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 am

Your outfit does nothing to show me respect. Being on time, shaking my hand, not cutting me off when I'm asking questions are how to show me respect.

I realize I'm one of the few people who believes what your wear does not reflect respect for me as an interviewer. Especially if you could wear the same outfit to work normally in the office. To me, looking at someone dress is superficial judgment and I just don't agree with that. Obviously most disagree on its importance. I do come from a startup not corporate world, so that probably plays into this as well.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 am

And I know its not a perfect world, so I do wear an interview dress. However, whenever I get to interview people their outfit does not play into my opinion of them. Its the only way I know how to stick to my guns and still have food on my table.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:38 am

Your outfit does nothing to show me respect. Being on time, shaking my hand, not cutting me off when I'm asking questions are how to show me respect.
the conformity element of it is more important than the respect. you need to show that if you get this job, you are going to stay at this job. when you come into an interview in that kind of outfit, you are expressing your individuality. this is a great thing in life. it can be a good thing professionally. it is not a good thing in an interview.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:43 am

Maybe I just respect people more who dont conform :slug:

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:45 am

You respect nobody more than others in this thread? :slug:

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:47 am

You respect nobody more than others in this thread? :slug:
:scared:

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:00 pm

I'd hire the slob.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:45 pm

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/progr ... -clubbing/

Dear people of the current college generation... unless the job interview you're going to specifically states that you can wear casual or business casual attire, dress in a full business attire when going to interviews. I don't understand how this is something people don't get, especially for careers...

In the original facebook entitled rant of hers: "If I had been a man would it have mattered what I was wearing?" YES! Yes it would have!
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what she was wearing.
I think they had a bad opinion of her to begin with, since she was late for her interview. I would not have hired her based on her being late, if I had a similarly qualified candidate in as well. Being late shows far less respect than clothing choices.
It wasn't like she just showed late; she called them ahead of time. As someone who has unexpectedly found myself in traffic that delays me far more than a reasonable 15 cushion would protect against, I'm totally sympathetic to that.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 pm

lol... where would you rather eat?

Here:
or here:
This is how my brain works, as regards restaurants......

I'd be willing to bet the place in the first picture has outstanding soul food, cooked by someone who was born with a ladle in their hands, and the place in the second picture serves under-seasoned and overpriced slop that tastes like it came out of a microwave.

So, yeah, I'll go to the first place.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:03 pm

I do agree with tif that there's nothing wrong with her attire (as shown).

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm

I do agree with tif that there's nothing wrong with her attire (as shown).
If that is indeed what she was wearing, I can't imagine a hiring manager that would find that outfit 1) workplace inappropriate, or 2) representative of 'clubbing' attire.

Well..... I can think of one......

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:14 pm

I may just in general be a skeptic, but I still think there's far more to the story than just her attire...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:15 pm

even if that's the whole story, judging her by the attire proved to be very effective

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:15 pm

I may just in general be a skeptic, but I still think there's far more to the story than just her attire...
That's certainly possible. I'm just commenting on the available info.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Cue up the get off my lawn rant:
There's no way that's "professional attire." That's what this generation believes is dress up. Suits, blouses, a conservative dress is professional.
I mean I wouldn't call her a slob but that's standing up in front of my high school speech class atire.

She's also interviewing for a very competitive job programmers are coming out left and right. Being qualified for the job simply isn't enough.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:37 pm

I wore shorts and a t-shirt the last time I worked exclusively as a programmer. And so did the owners of the company.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:44 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with her outfit.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm

I wore a suit to my last interview, the other guy wore jeans and a seahawks hoodie. Guess who got hired?
Both of us. :o

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm

I hate dressing up. I didn't even wear a suit to my wedding. I hate that you have to get all dressed up for interviews, but it's something that has to be done. Outside of funerals its the other time you would see me in a full suit and tie. Even when I interviewed for an internal position in my company for a promotion I dressed up in a suite and tie because that is what is expected. I may not agree with it, but it's just how it goes.

I am thankful though that on a day to day basis at work I can wear jeans/polo/sneakers and have no one say a word to me. If a "higher up" is coming in then I thrown on a pair of khakis and a nice pair of shoes.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with her outfit.
I guess we'll just have to disagree

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:54 pm

Does anyone find it strange that a certain someone has declared their candidacy for President for almost a week now and still has not had a single on the record interview with anyone?