Randomness Dos

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:42 am

Went to Philly over the weekend for a friend's wedding. First getting there was nice, although there was some huge bike race in the Manayunk area where the reception was. There were bikes everywhere at our hotel. Reception was awesome, at the Manayunk brewery. I was expecting there to be maybe 2-3 beer selections, but was surprised when they had all 10 or so of their beers available. I tried about half of them and they were all pretty good. Sunday, we went slightly tourist and went and saw the LOVE statue. Got to love all the "park rangers" there asking to take your pictures. Luckily I read in advance and knew what they were trying to do (con you out of some $$ by holding your camera hostage). We had friends with us so we just rotated the cameraman. Parked underneath in some dirty grimy parking garage that smelled like a portajohn. Walked around the various piles of smelly milky looking liquid to get there... just disgustingly foul. Made our way to Jims Cheesesteaks for a sandwich which was very very good. Again though, navigating through some foul smelling areas all the while trying not to make eye contact with anyone because it looks like they want to rip your soul out through your skull. After that we decided we'd had enough and just headed back home. Why does it seem like everyone in Philly hated me?

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:44 am

No one was smiling in the city yesterday because of the traffic caused by the freakin' bike race...

Craig

Randomness Dos

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 am

Good.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:53 am

the omnipresent piss smell is the worst thing about philadelphia. and it has some bad things.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Yeah, it does smell like piss more often than not...

Here's a fun one: One of my good friends lives up near 3rd & Vine. He parked a few blocks away near an overpass. Well, as unluck would have it, somehow a bum's **** was lit on fire near his back bumper and melted a portion of his tail light (well, the clear portion that protects the light itself, ya know)...so that provided me a wealth of giggles...

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:02 pm

in fairness, i actually do like philadelphia a great deal. and i think south jersey is a great place to live.

but that piss smell...

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Yeah I really enjoy Philadelphia as well, but the piss smell comments are dead on.

Actually, come to think of it, Slappy spent a few years in Philly. Maybe that explains all of his rambling "piss baby" posts.

columbia

Randomness Dos

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:58 pm

I always viewed it as a trash smell.

the wicked child

Randomness Dos

Postby the wicked child » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm

What is the draw of the "Triple Crown"?

I understand this is the first time it has happened in my lifetime, but I guess I don't get it... The Flyers haven't won a cup in my lifetime, and I sure as **** am not gonna celebrate if that day ever comes.

Guess I don't see the interest outside of gambling.

slappybrown

Randomness Dos

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Co-sign with columbia that its more trash than piss IMO.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Pretty interesting story about a "Confederate" US town in Brazil.

http://www.businessinsider.com/american ... 015-6?op=1

llipgh2

Randomness Dos

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Have a nice day is a nice touch. Scary as it is, the escape is interesting. Id see a movie/documentary about it.
I definitely would, too. I want to see how they pulled it off.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:17 pm

I understand this is the first time it has happened in my lifetime, but I guess I don't get it... The Flyers haven't won a cup in my lifetime, and I sure as **** am not gonna celebrate if that day ever comes.

it's more important than x team winning a championship because a team wins a championship in every sport every year.

it's like when someone gets the Grand Slam in golf or something. It happens so rarely and is a mark of one competitor dominating the field.

I think it's a big deal and I barely care about horse racing

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:20 pm

I barely care about horse racing
Neither does the horse. Or at least that's what turns me off.. It's not a human. There's no emotion. It's just an animal running. I watched all 3 and they are exciting, I just wasn't that pumped for the triple crown. There's no pressure on a horse like there would be for a golfer going into the 4th major or something.. Idk, just my 2 cents

MR25

Randomness Dos

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Plus, the tracks are different lengths (all within a quarter of a mile of each other, but as past history has shown us, it can make all the difference between finishing 1st in the Derby and Preakness, but losing the longer Belmont). It would be comparable to Usain Bolt winning the 100, 200, and 400 meters in the same Olympics.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Neither does the horse. Or at least that's what turns me off.. It's not a human. There's no emotion. It's just an animal running. I watched all 3 and they are exciting, I just wasn't that pumped for the triple crown. There's no pressure on a horse like there would be for a golfer going into the 4th major or something.. Idk, just my 2 cents
Just an FYI, the jockey that was riding American Pharoah on Saturday... that was his 3rd shot at a triple crown. I'm sure he was feeling a ton of pressure to get the horse to run the race of his life.

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Yeah, it does smell like piss more often than not...

Here's a fun one: One of my good friends lives up near 3rd & Vine. He parked a few blocks away near an overpass. Well, as unluck would have it, somehow a bum's **** was lit on fire near his back bumper and melted a portion of his tail light (well, the clear portion that protects the light itself, ya know)...so that provided me a wealth of giggles...
I don't know how anyone lives in the city. Just way too cramped for me. We were going up 9th street I believe, getting to Jim's... just no room to do anything. I guess you don't have a yard.. but having every room in your house only be 15 feet wide would drive me nuts. Plus.. if you have a car, I'd never want to leave. You'd lose your parking spot in a hurry.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Jim's Steaks at 4th & South...?

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Just an FYI, the jockey that was riding American Pharoah on Saturday... that was his 3rd shot at a triple crown. I'm sure he was feeling a ton of pressure to get the horse to run the race of his life.
That I did not know. I wonder how much influence a good jockey can have. We were all talking about that when we were watching Saturday

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:46 pm

From what they were saying, it's a lot. A jockey has to be aware of positioning, pacing, feel and know what the horse can and can't do, etc.

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Jim's Steaks at 4th & South...?
Thats the one. We went there on a recommendation from my wife's coworker. It was very good.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah, you can buy weed there too if you know how to ask. :idea:

I used to be in that area all the time, as my dad owned a shop on Fabric Row - about two blocks away...

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:55 pm

We parked next to some biker bar... which sadly, was the most normal place I felt around the area :pop:

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:00 pm

there are some nice spots on that stretch of land, Mac, but that is a terrible part of town to walk or drive through. aside from the sea of humanity, that's where some of the infamous "flash mobs" happened a few years ago, IIRC.

and regarding mikey's comment...i was walking in a nice center city neighborhood on saturday with some friends, and a dude with 2 fistfuls of loose weed was stumbling around trying (and failing) to explain to strangers what he was up to. i've never seen anything quite like it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Randomness Dos

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Supposed to pick up marriage license today. Just realized I forgot the form that has the little info on it. Can't wait for all the govt employees to give me a hard time