Politics And Current Events

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:31 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:33 am

Baseball has been declining for years, but allowing and not punishing the Astros nearly enough for cheating and having them back in the WS so soon is just what baseball needed. I tell ya.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:35 am

Yep. It's a shitshow.

And if they don't get games down to 3 hours and below, it's going to end up like bowling on ESPN 8 or whatever. Like who under the age of 50 is going to watch 4+ hour non-playoff games?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:55 am

Before I say this, let me just say that I have done zero reading on the matter beyond just what is posted here, mostly because Idgaf. But…. I’m Pretty sure the truth is in a middle ground between this is all Alec Baldwin’s fault and none of this is Alec Baldwin’s fault. But then again, this is America. No grey. Only black and white.
This is a mentally exhausting society to live in.
I’ve been having this very same discussion at work. We are asked to care about too many things. Can we go back to only caring about not nuking the whales?
I’m officially on team shafnutz on this one now. The impact of all of this has now extended past college campuses. It’s not like I’m scared of getting “cancelled”. It’s easy IRL to not offend people. But Jesus Christ…everything is a thing now. The pronouns in the email signatures radicalized me.

The Chappell thing…it’s a catalyst. I think a lot of his trans jokes are lazy, unfunny and overly insensitive. He’s the kind of guy who gets dragged through the media and his material turns into a hissy fit about it. BUT…he’s making a good point about the following:

He doesn’t hate individuals who are trans. He hates the trans community. Those are 2 very very different things. He hates people who have an issue with understanding proportionality. People who are militant against others acting in good faith and also suck all the oxygen out of the room by not understanding that other people have problems too.

I’m a well to do white, non-Jew male and my life is littered with problems. Deep deep problems. But absolutely nobody cares. That’s fine. I don’t need you to. But, in turn, I don’t care about you either. I care about institutional discrimination. I don’t give a sh*t, however, if you think people aren’t delicate enough with your whole deal. You’re on your own in life. Anything you get from others is a bonus. So kindly F off if you think your problems are the only problems that matter.

And really…even seeing all the t shirts and lawn signs that say “Kindness!!!!”. Stop it. Stop the pressure. Stop the forced sentiment. Stop stop stop. Life is hard. Chill out.

…and I think Chappell is giving plenty of liberals like me an exit plan from this whole mess.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:59 am

Cancel shmenguin.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 am

Cancel shmenguin.
I'll just put him on ignore.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:14 am

my issue with Chappelle is that the trans community accuses him of the same thing he accuses white people of. He literally had a "I had a trans friend so I can't be transphobic" bit. He talks about empathy being a two way street but then refuses to look at how else that street can be applied.

his special had some funny jokes but a lot of it came off as misguidedly preachy

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:21 am

This whole Baldwin discussion is weird. There are a dozen or more people that have some fault here, with Baldwin shouldering the most of any individual. You know. Because he **** killed someone.
It's people who only have an appetite for delicious irony if it negatively impacts people they already don't like.

Go online and support Trump and say Covid isn't real, then die from Covid? Nom, nom, nom....deeeeelicious. more please!

Spend your days opining about gun control and touting the dangers of the gun epidemic in this country, then kill someone with a real gun (stop referring to it as a prop gun) while playing make-believe for a sh*t ton of money? What a tragedy...it didn't have to happen. Can't imagine what he's going through. Not his fault.

I know many disagree, but I don't see the value in relishing in either scenario. It just shows a total lack of empathy. Making fun of, shaming, gleefully cheering on tragedy is just so.....Trump-like to me.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am

Don't worry, we'll spin this so it's both a tragic accident AND an opportunity to talk about gun control...

There we go.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

^Yes.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:40 am

Gun fanatics don’t care about mass shootings. They care about being able to retain their lifestyle. I don’t think this is controversial or material for a gotcha tweet. We already know the divide. There’s no irony at play here.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 am

Cancel shmenguin.
I very much doubt that.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 am

Cancel shmenguin.
I very much doubt that.
Was a joke plus ignore is worthless here.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 am

This whole Baldwin discussion is weird. There are a dozen or more people that have some fault here, with Baldwin shouldering the most of any individual. You know. Because he **** killed someone.
It's people who only have an appetite for delicious irony if it negatively impacts people they already don't like.

Go online and support Trump and say Covid isn't real, then die from Covid? Nom, nom, nom....deeeeelicious. more please!

Spend your days opining about gun control and touting the dangers of the gun epidemic in this country, then kill someone with a real gun (stop referring to it as a prop gun) while playing make-believe for a sh*t ton of money? What a tragedy...it didn't have to happen. Can't imagine what he's going through. Not his fault.

I know many disagree, but I don't see the value in relishing in either scenario. It just shows a total lack of empathy. Making fun of, shaming, gleefully cheering on tragedy is just so.....Trump-like to me.
This might be the closest comparison yet, but your drive to normalize and rationalize people killing themselves with stupidity by COVID is super strange at this point.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:44 am

Nah, it's probably just easier to blame it all on Baldwin.
People are doing this.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am

person is doing this.
But mostly agree. Much discussion being had on one person's outlier take on this.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am

People are also carrying water for Baldwin.

"Prop gun"
"Just an actor"
"He must feel horrible."

As I said initially, we're working our way towards him being the victim.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:48 am

Don’t blame the actor for following the protocol that the actors have always followed.
I'll address two of your posts here.

"It's always been done that way" is a terrible argument in any circumstance especially when "that way" is wrong.

You don't need to "regulate" prop guns. You just need to practice common **** sense. Clear the gun before handling it. If someone who doesn't know how to do that is handling it, you give them a 5 minute training session. If that happens, nobody dies.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 am

person is doing this.
But mostly agree. Much discussion being had on one person's outlier take on this.
Hes not doing it either. He mentioned the Swiss Cheese thing which quite literally says that multiple things went wrong and all the holes aligned.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 am

People are also carrying water for Baldwin.

"Prop gun"
"Just an actor"
"He must feel horrible."

As I said initially, we're working our way towards him being the victim.
I suppose. I agree with Tif that Baldwin's blame resides on him being a producer on this film that was creating labor issues for itself from the start. I am inclined to think that it would be other people's responsibility to manage the gun. But, they were running a trash set and had already had issues with the guns. That measures were not installed after those incidents, to me, puts blame on Baldwin the actor, but mostly Baldwin the producer (and the rest of those folks in charge).

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am

He doesn’t hate individuals who are trans. He hates the trans community.
Yeah, this is an important distinction that seems to have been lost, not just with trans people but with everything. Two members of my family are trans, and I love them dearly, try and respect their pronouns or whatever, etc. It is what it is.

But the trans community, at least the one that is most visible to most Americans, is one of the most toxic cesspools out there. I can't remember such a small minority of the population getting so much deference and kowtowing from others as they do. And if anyone dares to step out of line, even in the most inconsequential or innocent way, the vitriol, hatred, and fury they will collectively come at people with is something else.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:56 am

This discussion is pretty circular, yeah. I hope he gets sued. Beyond that, I don't put any thought into it other than participation in this thread.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:59 am

The confusing part here is the balance between intent and the fact that the buck stops with the trigger pull.

Killing a person was unintentional.

Not following gun safety protocols (as an actor) was negligence, regardless of "its a movie" and "someone else is hired to do that". Hiring a poor performing armorer (ad a producer) is negligence. Curating an unsafe culture on set (as a producer) is negligence.

All of these negligent acts led to an unintentional death.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm

I'd look to shyster or another attorney here but in civil court, the negligence of Baldwin the actor is probably a lower proportion than the others given the accepted industry standards and track record of minimal accidents by actors taking the same (i.e. no) precautions when handling a gun on set
Last edited by King Colby on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm

The confusing part here is the balance between intent and the fact that the buck stops with the trigger pull.

Killing a person was unintentional.

Not following gun safety protocols (as an actor) was negligence, regardless of "its a movie" and "someone else is hired to do that". Hiring a poor performing armorer (ad a producer) is negligence. Curating an unsafe culture on set (as a producer) is negligence.

All of these negligent acts led to an unintentional death.
For sure. If it's just an exercise in allocating blame between the actor and the armorer, i'm probably more on the 75:25 - armorer:actor. But it's not a debate I'd care enough to engage in. I think all the people responsible for running the set are negligent and should face criminal charges, Baldwin included.