Non Political Current Events Thread

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am

Thoughts and prayers.
i mean...yeah, i don't want to hear it anymore either. but there's nothing for the feds or state & local to with a case like this. i think you can actually legislate your way out of the adam lanza type of situation, but if some rogue piece of trash wants to go shoot up a public place with his one rifle, it's gonna happen. there are drastic measures that could theoretically reduce the bloodshed, but they've already been blocked by the SCOTUS. so thoughts & prayers it is.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:55 am

Thoughts and prayers.
i mean...yeah, i don't want to hear it anymore either. but there's nothing for the feds or state & local to with a case like this. i think you can actually legislate your way out of the adam lanza type of situation, but if some rogue piece of trash wants to go shoot up a public place with his one rifle, it's gonna happen. there are drastic measures that could theoretically reduce the bloodshed, but they've already been blocked by the SCOTUS. so thoughts & prayers it is.
I would advocate for required gun registration, but that is obviously a non-starter. The common refrain is about how the current laws don't stop gun violence, so why make new laws? So I think the tact should be enforcing the current laws. As far as I know, there is little in effect to ensure that those parties required to input the data for the gun registration database do so. I'm not sure what the hell ATF does, but it would probably make a ton of sense to give some government agency responsibility for the complete and accurate input of that information.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Thoughts and prayers.
I would advocate for required gun registration, but that is obviously a non-starter. The common refrain is about how the current laws don't stop gun violence, so why make new laws? So I think the tact should be enforcing the current laws. As far as I know, there is little in effect to ensure that those parties required to input the data for the gun registration database do so. I'm not sure what the hell ATF does, but it would probably make a ton of sense to give some government agency responsibility for the complete and accurate input of that information.
maybe this guy went the Craigslist backdoor route, but i don't know if that's likely. let's say he is just an aggrieved idiot who already owned a weapon. a central registry doesn't fix that. we also can't force people to clinically reveal how sociopathic they are. and even if we could, we'd have to pick the demarcation point where we strip away a constitutional right - which seems to go nowhere.

every avenue to real change is a non-starter because of whose culture has the most influence in our federal government. in the meantime, the people who are obstacles to change will look at 3 deaths (including a 6 year old), lump it with some disingenuous statistic that diminishes its impact and merrily go along with their day. rinse. repeat.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:03 pm

every avenue to real change is a non-starter because of whose culture has the most influence in our federal government. in the meantime, the people who are obstacles to change will look at 3 deaths (including a 6 year old), lump it with some disingenuous statistic that diminishes its impact and merrily go along with their day. rinse. repeat.

What change do you seek, and why do you think "the people who are obstacles to change" are serving as obstacles to that change?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:11 pm

What change do you seek, and why do you think "the people who are obstacles to change" are serving as obstacles to that change?
what do you want to get out of this question? we've been through this. in the spirit of your recent posts, this is something that 2 parties disagree about, each with their own distinct, explainable motives. and we don't need to churn up unpleasantness on something that's so subjective.

the changes i seek are very drastic and would only negatively impact a culture that i'm not a member of. there's no way to talk about this constructively. my effort here today was to try to direct TL into more pragmatic analysis with what would and wouldn't have helped this specific case.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:37 pm

what do you want to get out of this question? we've been through this. in the spirit of your recent posts, this is something that 2 parties disagree about, each with their own distinct, explainable motives. and we don't need to churn up unpleasantness on something that's so subjective.

the changes i seek are very drastic and would only negatively impact a culture that i'm not a member of. there's no way to talk about this constructively. my effort here today was to try to direct TL into more pragmatic analysis with what would and wouldn't have helped this specific case.

Your tone expressed disingenuity for those who do not share your beliefs. If you recognize that both sides of this issue disagree based on distinct, explainable motives, then I respectfully submit that it would be improper to imply that the other side is disingenuous.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Your tone expressed disingenuity for those who do not share your beliefs. If you recognize that both sides of this issue disagree based on distinct, explainable motives, then I respectfully submit that it would be improper to imply that the other side is disingenuous.
i've always found your explanations (and the company you keep here) to be disingenuous. it doesn't mean that your actual opinions behind the scenes are nullified. i simply don't respect the method of argument. i'm allowed to believe that something is inauthentic, no?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 pm

i've always found your explanations (and the company you keep here) to be disingenuous. it doesn't mean that your actual opinions behind the scenes are nullified. i simply don't respect the method of argument. i'm allowed to believe that something is inauthentic, no?

You are absolutely entitled to believe whatever you want to believe. And if your goal here is to blow off steam by throwing a little poop at people who disagree with you, then by all means fling away. This is just a message board, after all. But in real life, that is not a constructive way to resolve disputes, reach consensus, or productively debate.

I recognize I might come off rather high-handed on my methods of argument, but I argue stuff for a living. In my world, throwing insults, implying that the other side is stupid or disingenuous, and other standard fare of internet arguments do not work. (None of those things are actually valid arguments, anyway—they are all fallacies of distraction.) Throwing insults only weakens your own arguments. I've tried to help people argue more productively, or at least gain a little more insight into why people believe the things they do. You may, of course, feel free to ignore me.

What company do I keep, BTW?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Great, there are two political threads now

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:40 pm

:face:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:43 pm

The death toll in the Kyoto Animation arson attack has unfortunately risen to 35:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... T9nC-hKhpg

In contrast to US practice, the police have yet to release a list of victims and have said they will not do so until all of the victim's funerals are complete. But some families have confirmed deaths, including the family of Yasuhiro Takemoto, who was one of KyoAni's best-known and most-prolific directors. RIP.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Yeah. I really wanted this thread to be enjoyable discussion about relatively non controversial current events. Didn't take long for gun control to rear it's ugly head, and for the sht slinging to begin. Oh well.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 pm

I think it's pretty clear gun control/shootings should go in the political thread, since that's where the subject inevitably ends up. I'll cross my fingers that people are better behaved from here out.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:26 pm

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/a ... 205945.php
Capital One, the Virginia-based bank with a popular credit card business, announced Monday that a hacker had accessed about 100 million credit card applications, and investigators say thousands of Social Security and bank account numbers were also taken.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Great

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Yeah. I really wanted this thread to be enjoyable discussion about relatively non controversial current events. Didn't take long for gun control to rear it's ugly head, and for the sht slinging to begin. Oh well.
My bad. I just posted about the shooting since it was nonpolitical. Should have put it over there knowing it would turn that way.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

My bad. I just posted about the shooting since it was nonpolitical. Should have put it over there knowing it would turn that way.
lynch NAN

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:18 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Capital One, the Virginia-based bank with a popular credit card business, announced Monday that a hacker had accessed about 100 million credit card applications, and investigators say thousands of Social Security and bank account numbers were also taken.
Maybe I'll get another $125 gift card!

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:31 pm

I have a Capital One card, but I never applied for it. Rather, Capital One bought Cabela's credit-card business and transferred all of the accounts. I hope I'm not included in this.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:49 pm

lynch NAN
That's racist. :pop:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:28 am

Finally, a breach that I'm not included in!

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am

https://www.wtae.com/article/police-sea ... t/28547837

People need to quit licking, peeing, pooping, and doing whatever they are doing to food at super markets.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Three Rivers Regatta canceled this year in Pittsburgh, organizers blame event management company
“After careful deliberation over the past several days and in consultation with both county and city leaders, we came to the difficult but necessary conclusion that we had no choice but to cancel this year’s regatta,” said Charles D. Scholz, a member of the Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta Board of Directors and an attorney with Houston Harbaugh who is also representing the board.

“We learned late last week that the event management company charged with overseeing all aspects of the regatta failed to provide the necessary assurances for a safe, sanctioned and fully coordinated event. They did not secure the mandatory insurance for it, which forced us to withdraw our application for an event permit,” Scholz said.

The Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta has hired LionHeart Event Group for the past several years to manage the event, according to the press release.

Responsibilities of the event group included purchasing insurance, securing permits, acquiring sponsors, collecting sponsorship money, contracting with food vendors, working with the race boat organizations, and working with the city and others to provide security, the press release said.
https://www.wtae.com/article/live-press ... a/28551588

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm

To be fair, churches have a lot of practice being silent.
Not enough, imo.