Politics And Current Events

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:46 am

And that - right there - is why Donald Trump is leading in the polls.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:20 am

Penn State, Princeton Academics Caught Accepting Secret Funding To Challenge Climate Change
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/11494 ... limate.htm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:28 am

Who trusted a sociology professor with his opinions on global warming?

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:30 am

The coal industry, for one. :)

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:33 am

Yeah, but he's every bit as crooked, self-serving and ego maniacal as any any career politician.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 am

Yeah, but he's every bit as crooked, self-serving and ego maniacal as any any career politician.
The difference being that he doesn't pretend to be otherwise. He's tapping into all of the resentment towards government built up over the last few decades. Rightful or not,, most of that lives in the Republican party. They fanned the flames on this for an extended period of time and the chickens are coming home to roost. I'm not sure where I read this idea, but a distinct difference between Trump and Perot, is that the latter was able to tap into both Republicans and Democrats. My view of that is that, as a result, Trump has a much more concentrated and effective force behind him. He's trouncing the field right now and Perot would not have been able to do that in just one party.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:39 am

Perot's base was upper middle-class professionals whereas Trump's is blue-collar Reagan Democrats who have become GOP over the past 30 years.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:45 am

Reagan Democrats
ie the center. Trump is plying on the absolute cynicism of the right.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:55 am

He's tapping into all of the resentment towards government built up over the last few decades.
That's some of it, but I think Trump's greatest asset is the backlash against "political correctness". His voters are so paranoid about the war on Christmas/Christianity, not being able to say they're po'ed about illegal immigrants and Muslims, etc. that they think Trump is some sort of second-coming for ranting against all of that. I really don't understand how so many people are so stupid to not realize that Trump is just manipulating them and saying what they want to hear - just like every other politician. But since he's not "PC", they think he's on their side.

It's really sort of mind boggling. I hope there are some good documentaries made about this election in the coming years. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:57 am

Reagan Democrats

As is Bernie Sanders on the Left. #occupywallstreet #1%

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:58 am

Reagan Democrats

Indeed. Except the Democrats aren't buying what he's selling.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:00 am

He's tapping into all of the resentment towards government built up over the last few decades.
That's some of it, but I think Trump's greatest asset is the backlash against "political correctness". His voters are so paranoid about the war on Christmas/Christianity, not being able to say they're po'ed about illegal immigrants and Muslims, etc. that they think Trump is some sort of second-coming for ranting against all of that. I really don't understand how so many people are so stupid to not realize that Trump is just manipulating them and saying what they want to hear - just like every other politician. But since he's not "PC", they think he's on their side.

It's really sort of mind boggling. I hope there are some good documentaries made about this election in the coming years. :lol:
Yes, he's also a nationalist. My father - a lifelong Republican - views him as a Mussolini style character. :scared:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:16 am

Reagan Democrats

Sanders and Trump have about the same support in the primaries.

It is just that Sanders only has one opponent and Trump has 14 and Trump has three 24/7 news channels broadcasting his every move.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:17 am

Yes, he's also a nationalist. My father - a lifelong Republican - views him as a Mussolini style character. :scared:
Which is also true. As Tif and I discussed Trump is a European right-winger and has no real "conservative" policy positions.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:21 am

Reagan Democrats

It is just that Sanders only has one opponent and Trump has 14 and Trump has three 24/7 news channels broadcasting his every move.
What do you think he would have if there were 15 DEM candidates? A lot lower than Trump would be my guess.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:22 am

Which is also true. As Tif and I discussed Trump is a European right-winger and has no real "conservative" policy positions.
Which adds to the GOP establishment being in such a tizzy. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:23 am

What do you think he would have if there were 15 DEM candidates? A lot lower than Trump would be my guess.
Sanders would be Rand Paul.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:24 am

Yes

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:28 am

The genius of Trump's campaign is that he's a collision of resentment, nationalism (economic and patriotic) and fear of the unknown (terrorism, Islam).

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 am

So he's just a standard run-of-the-mill right wing populist.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 am

The only politician I believe in is the one who looks to reduce the role (and the influence) of politicians.

Do you know anyone who fits that bill?

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:44 am

They are less common here than in Europe, mind you.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:50 am

They are less common here than in Europe, mind you.
True, true.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:13 am

There are many similarities. However I can't imagine Trump ever becoming (in the words of Italo Balbo) a "boot licker" to a Hitler style character.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:39 am

Trump bows to no one.