Just Another Podcast Thread

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:28 pm

Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but "The Bugle" has been added to my list of shows. Can't get enough of John Oliver

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Startup is back for season 2!

Following a dating site startup.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:24 pm

Just listened to the first episode. Very enjoyable. Interesting how the first season had ads for startups and little known tech companies, and now they have Ford ads.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm exclusively at comedy listening right now, and it's pretty much all been relegated to the earwolf network. Improv4humans is the only show I'll listen to every episode of, while there are a few others I'll check out depending on the guests.
for comedy bang bang fans...is it just me, or is lauren lapkus the worst thing to ever happen to the show?

she has the ability to occasionally be funny. that's her ceiling. sometimes ok.

but she's on so many freaking episodes. and legitimately funny people like paul f tompkins can't get enough of her. what the hell is going on in this world.
I'm not a regular listener to CBB, so I can't speak to all her appearances, but the few times I've heard her she did her "Ho-Ho" character, which I find funny. Why? I do not know :P .

And her podcast is at least good for the excellent Joe Wengert "Win-Show" episode, and the brilliant "Tom Leykis" episode with James Adomian being his ridiculous, awesome self. Scott Aukerman's appearance on it is pretty good too.

Also, a relatively new podcast I might be checking out more is called "I Was There Too" http://iwastheretoo.wolfpop.com/audio/playlists/3962

I only listened to the Stephen Toboloswky one so far, but it was definitely worthwhile.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm not a regular listener to CBB, so I can't speak to all her appearances, but the few times I've heard her she did her "Ho-Ho" character, which I find funny. Why? I do not know :P .
ho-ho is tolerable (even though she ripped off her catch phrase/affect from paul f tompkins' cake boss character). tracy rearden is the worst in every way.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:06 pm

I was listening to a slightly stale Nerdist with Adam Carolla today and was happy to hear that the podcasters managed to beat back the Patent Trolls that were trying to sue them for distributing their podcasts in numerical order. Great win.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Patent trolls are the bane of my existence.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 18, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm exclusively at comedy listening right now, and it's pretty much all been relegated to the earwolf network. Improv4humans is the only show I'll listen to every episode of, while there are a few others I'll check out depending on the guests.
for comedy bang bang fans...is it just me, or is lauren lapkus the worst thing to ever happen to the show?

she has the ability to occasionally be funny. that's her ceiling. sometimes ok.

but she's on so many freaking episodes. and legitimately funny people like paul f tompkins can't get enough of her. what the hell is going on in this world.

And her podcast is at least good for the excellent Joe Wengert "Win-Show" episode, and the brilliant "Tom Leykis" episode with James Adomian being his ridiculous, awesome self. Scott Aukerman's appearance on it is pretty good too.
she just ruined the otherwise epic 6th anniversary show as ho ho. this thing where people think she's funny is going to push me over the edge. i feel more disconnected with the general public than i ever have. i really have no idea what people are laughing at.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

I feel the same way about Fallon if that helps you sleep at night.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 am

Mystery show on Gimlet (where Startup and Reply all are from) has promise, but its one of those things that is either going to be great or completely flop. I will give it a few epiosdes

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am

I completely lost interest in Gimlet after their Startup season ended. A podcast show about making a podcast show/network was very interesting. Now they're just kind of doing the same thing other podcast networks are doing.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 am

I completely lost interest in Gimlet after their Startup season ended. A podcast show about making a podcast show/network was very interesting. Now they're just kind of doing the same thing other podcast networks are doing.
It was never clear to me how they wanted to be different, besides giving "high quality narrative podcasts" network. But so far, I like the shows they have done

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 am

Right. The idea of a podcast network was talked about as if it was some groundbreaking thing. But Carolla Digital, Smodcast Network, Earwolf, PodcastOne, and I'm sure many more all existed long before Gimlet was an idea. Not to mention NPR and other traditional radio networks that had podcasts of their popular shows.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri May 29, 2015 10:28 am

Right. The idea of a podcast network was talked about as if it was some groundbreaking thing. But Carolla Digital, Smodcast Network, Earwolf, PodcastOne, and I'm sure many more all existed long before Gimlet was an idea. Not to mention NPR and other traditional radio networks that had podcasts of their popular shows.
I also work or a startup, so it was amazing to me the speed at which he got funded with somehing that was not all together novel.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 29, 2015 10:34 am

Yeah. That first season of Startup was fascinating. That's what made Gimlet unique. Now it just produces a few random shows that are not as good as other similar shows.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri May 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Mystery show on Gimlet (where Startup and Reply all are from) has promise, but its one of those things that is either going to be great or completely flop. I will give it a few epiosdes
I agree. I listened to the first one, and didn't really like it. I'll try again, but it largely depend on the "mystery" each week.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm out on Mystery. The Britney Spears' one was awful.
here's the mystery: Some wannabe author saw a tabloid pic of Spears holding her book. How did she get it? Did she like it? Host attempts to contact Spears, and ultimately does by buying an "all-access" ticket to her concert. Asks her about the book and Spears says that of course she remembers the book (from 7 years ago) and she loved it! End of story.
I get that it's more the story behind the mysteries, but the stories haven't been good.

The U

Postby The U » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Hardcore History -Dan Carlin history podcast. (One 4 hour show every few months. Currently catching up on old topics).

SOFREP Radio - SpecOps community. (One episode per week)

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:04 am

The Late Show podcast is really interesting. Most of these companion podcasts are just garbage advertising for the show, but Colbert seems determined to make the podcast about the process of getting the Late Show ready. Should be good.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:00 am

I'm out on Mystery. The Britney Spears' one was awful.
here's the mystery: Some wannabe author saw a tabloid pic of Spears holding her book. How did she get it? Did she like it? Host attempts to contact Spears, and ultimately does by buying an "all-access" ticket to her concert. Asks her about the book and Spears says that of course she remembers the book (from 7 years ago) and she loved it! End of story.
I get that it's more the story behind the mysteries, but the stories haven't been good.
Thanks for saving me some time. I listened to the first episode and didn't care for it much. What made Serial popular was the story itself, not just the mystery aspect.

Episode 1 of Mystery was:
Hey, my friend rented a movie at a video store and when she went to return it, the store was closed. Let me talk to 3 people about this. Oh it turns out videos stores were dying in 2005 and the store closed due to dwindling sales. Mystery solved.

This exact same thing happened to me. I rented Dawn of the Dead from Hollywood Video. When I went to return it, the store was closed up. I didn't go make a podcast about it.

Plus, South Park did it.
http://i.imgur.com/ZMwSsj5.jpg

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 am

That sounds like a watered-down version of This American Life.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:11 pm

That sounds like a watered-down version of This American Life.
This american life is good story telling. Mystery show is not.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 pm

That's the thing. I think the podcast could be ok if the stories were better, regardless of the "mystery." But the stories she gets out of people aren't that interesting. I also find her really annoying.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 pm

So other than the content and presentation, it's okay.

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Wtf with marc maron. Todays guest...barack obama.