5AF Parenting Thread

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:17 pm

Winter soccer update. Lost the first game 10-1, the second one 6-1, and this one 11-1. Granted, every team in the league plays much higher in their fall leagues, but most of the girls on the team just wait for things to happen. Wait for the ball, wait for the forward to come to them, just wait. It’s incredibly frustrating to watch, and I can’t imagine that they enjoy these weekly beatdowns. The effort is just not there.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:23 pm

Littlest Franchise is learning to drive. She was taking a left at a stop sign onto a street that was backed up at a light and she could not fit the car in without blocking the opposite lane of traffic. Dipshit behind us starts honking at her.

Teachable moment that no matter how badly dad wanted to get out of the car and rip that dadhole's carotid artery out, you can't do that.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:27 pm

Littlest Franchise is learning to drive. She was taking a left at a stop sign onto a street that was backed up at a light and she could not fit the car in without blocking the opposite lane of traffic. Dipshit behind us starts honking at her.

Teachable moment that no matter how badly dad wanted to get out of the car and rip that dadhole's carotid artery out, you can't do that.
Oldest snakette is also learning to drive. I can relate on a couple different occasions. Sometimes it's hard being the adult.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:44 pm

We're in the "no I'm not" "no it isn't" "I won't" phase of childhood and I'm about over it.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:22 am

:lol:

My ten year old, who is overall a great kid is in that weird bridge between little kid and angsty teenager.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:04 am

Oldest snakette is also learning to drive. I can relate on a couple different occasions. Sometimes it's hard being the adult.
I have this dream that one day I can’t take how bad another driver is and I go to their car, take the keys from the ignition and throw them into the woods before driving away

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:05 am

I have this dream that one day I can’t take how bad another driver is and I go to their car, take the keys from the ignition and throw them into the woods before driving away
I've had this same dream.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:06 am

mini meow is sick enough to miss school for the first time in his school career today. makes me think how I was chronically sick as a kid and missed a decent amount of school. he’s been a very healthy kid so it sucks seeing him down and out

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:19 am

OUr daughter is 4 mos. old and dealing with her like 3rd sickness. Mostly given to her by our son, who insists continually getting in her face directly after daycare to say hi. Super fun times, lol.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:12 am

I actually read Ronnie's post while driving with my 15 year old. :lol: He's getting better and feeling much more comfortable with driving. But driving down here sucks compared to our little town where my older son learned to drive. Our area is overdeveloped and under-infrastructured, naturally. So not enough road capacity and then you add in crazy contractors and northeastern transplants who think they are on the Long Island Expressway, and it's rough. Hyper aggressive drivers tailgating, honking if you don't sprint through an intersection, etc. Last night was fine, overall, but it's very stressful for me compared to my older son's learning experience.

In mid-March, we have to have 40 hours on the road before takes his driver's ed class. At the end of that class, he'll take the road test for his restricted (under 16 license).

And what's odd is that a lot of my kids' friends have no interest in driving. A few of my older son's friends are 17 or 18 and don't drive and are in no rush to do so. I don't like driving, and never have, but I did want to get my license at the appropriate age.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:16 am

I grew up driving all sort of vehicles before I got my permit, so the "learning how to drive" thing was an absolute breeze for me. I am not looking forward to the 10 years from now where I have to teach my daughter how to drive. Certainly isn't going to be mom's job. That'll be a me thing.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:20 am

I almost completed this dream last summer and then I realized as I was out of my car yelling at this **** that I am surrounded by MAGA and he will probably shoot me, so I came back down to earth, got in my car and drove away. Nice little dopamine buzz though

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:29 am

good thinking pal, they love killing people

Sam's Drunk Dog

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:32 am

I imagine most people have cars now that are push button ignitions.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:34 am

I really, really want one of those big magnets they used in one of the Fast and Furious movies to move the underspeed dipshits in front of me out of the way.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:37 am

Today is Friday, which has been our pizza night for a few years now. I typically make pizza, but from time to time we order out.

Today is national pizza day.

Today at breakfast, my daughter looks at me and says "I don't want pizza tonight. Can we have something else?"

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am

National pizza day? I was actually going to suggest something else for dinner tonight, but not now.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:55 pm

We're not just having pizza tonight, we're having breakfast pizza.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:14 pm

We're having Costco pizza. What up

Shyster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:28 pm

What goes on a breakfast pizza?

skullman80

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm

What goes on a breakfast pizza?
We've always put fruit on ours, and the "sauce" is usually the white marshmallow whipped stuff, and the dough is sugar cookie.

Shyster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:34 pm

We made something like that in home ec class when I was in middle school. Suger-cookie crust with cut fruit on top, and I want to say the sauce was sort of like a glaze (like glazed donuts) that had tapioca in it.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:38 pm

Perfect breakfast pizza:

The "sauce" is just a light spread of olive oil... LIGHT spread. Put on some carmalized onions, bacon, sausage, scrapple, and smoked gouda. You bake it to about a minute or two from being done, then you add an egg. I prefer lightly beaten before going on, some prefer to have some yolk still runny... you pick. Then when it comes out of the oven you put a light drizzle of maple syrup on it.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:42 pm

We do Pimento cheese as the "sauce", scrambled egg, bacon, and a little cheese on top.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:01 pm

The day that I assumed would be coming sooner or later came...

The school is going to start doing some targeted intervention on little c2i for reading/literacy. I struggled so much as a kid with reading, but was smart enough to compensate for it until about 4th grade when they started some intervention stuff with me. Not saying little c2i isn't smart like me, but they check much earlier and are more thorough in their evaluations these days, which is good. Catch it early, get them the help early, get them caught up early so they don't fall behind.

We just got a letter in her take home folder. No heads up, no message from the teacher, she didn't even bring it up at our first parent teacher conference earlier this year. Maybe it just didn't become apparent until later? Who knows... I'll see if we can set up a time to chat with her to see what's going on and what we could possibly do to help.