Politics And Current Events

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:36 am

That police shooting is basically an execution. And I'm surprised to see multiple opinions already issued on North Charleston. Thought I would be the only one with the "pleasure" of living there. One of my recruiter's "selling points" she used for the nuclear power program was that we'd get stationed in Charleston. In reality the base is in Goose Creek, which is a ghetto suburb of North Charleston. The entire place is just a dump. We had a "Day of Service" volunteer event on September 11th where we went into the community and repaired houses and provided neighborhood beautification. My group pulled weeds and fixed an old lady's fence while her four grandchildren sold drugs to the neighborhood. Also had tools stolen from the bed of our pickup truck while we worked in the backyard. Good times.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:15 pm

My siblings lived in Goose Creek until recently - they both sold their houses to Navy personnel, new to the area. It's a slimy part of Charleston, but not as bad as North Charleston's worst neighborhoods.

Goose Creek has a Chik Fil-a now, Dickie. Big time man. Big time!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Comcast wins fight against DirecTV’s creepy, hairy versions of Rob Lowe
DirecTV accused NAD of not having a sense of humor. DirecTV "continues to believe that the various Rob Lowe advertisements are so outlandish and exaggerated that no reasonable consumer would believe that the statements being made by the alter-ego characters are comparative or need to be substantiated," the company said in its response to the division's ruling.

DirecTV said it will appeal the ruling to the National Advertising Review Board, which is also part of the industry's self-regulation system. While the NAD only issues recommendations, it can refer cases of non-compliance to the government.
Personally, I love the ads.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't understand what Comcast's argument is here... are they mad because DirectTV is insinuating cable viewers are lesser forms of what they could be? I mean, I read the article and still am not sure what their argument is.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't understand what Comcast's argument is here... are they mad because DirectTV is insinuating cable viewers are lesser forms of what they could be? I mean, I read the article and still am not sure what their argument is.
I'm confused as well.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:16 pm

The dbag Boston Marathon bomber has been found guilty and could face death penalty.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 pm

That police shooting is basically an execution.
And w/o the video it would been a non-story as the cop's word would have been the only word.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 pm

The dbag Boston Marathon bomber has been found guilty and could face death penalty.
Good, although I'd be fine with life in prison where he's fall below the child molesters on the scale of prison scum.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:34 pm

That police shooting is basically an execution.
And w/o the video it would been a non-story as the cop's word would have been the only word.
Suspect was shot 8 times in the back, at ranges that would not have left any trace evidence indicating the shots were fired at close range, preempting the 'I-feared-for-my-life' and 'he-grabbed-my-taser' defenses the cop was already trying to establish over the radio as he was tampering with the crime scene. I'm pretty sure he'd be in a mess of trouble, video or not. But the video certainly helps.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Hmmmm.....

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Good, although I'd be fine with life in prison where he's fall below the child molesters on the scale of prison scum.
All 30 counts.

Just fry him.

Certain sects within prison would accept him.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

For any law types out there, with this Boston Bomber verdict, do they go through a whole different trial to try to determine if the death penalty is warranted, or do they make that decision after more deliberation based on the evidence presented already?

And even then, if there was a decision made, can he appeal it?

Basically, how long until we find out the outcome.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:40 pm

I'm confused as well.
Pretty sure the root cause for the complaint was rampant butthurt. But the ads make some claims about cable service as compared to DirecTV service that cannot be factually substantiated, and that's the basis for the opinion from the ad board.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:44 pm

For any law types out there, with this Boston Bomber verdict, do they go through a whole different trial to try to determine if the death penalty is warranted, or do they make that decision after more deliberation based on the evidence presented already?

And even then, if there was a decision made, can he appeal it?

Basically, how long until we find out the outcome.
I think something like a dozen or more of the 30 counts he was just convicted of carry the possibility of capital punishment. They will have to go through each of those charges individually to determine the punishment. I think the non-capital offenses will be sentenced in bulk.

Each one of the sentences will be subject to appeal. In other words, he is more likely to die of old age.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Why does it seem to me that the OK City bomber got the death penalty rather quickly (in terms of the justice system taking forever).

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

McVeigh stopped appealing his conviction(s) after a few years.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Actually, he'd probably be put in super max prison in isolation so whether he would be accepted by "certain sects" or not is moot. I'd rather be executed then spend the next 60 years in isolation.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:07 pm

I just wonder if deep down the dude has any remorse.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:08 pm

None of the other bombers (Kaczynski, Yousef, etc) were in solitary, I don't know why Tsarnaev would be.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 pm

OK City bombing was in '95 and he was executed in '01.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 pm

OK City bombing was in '95 and he was executed in '01.
Right. That is typically pretty "quick" I believe.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:15 pm

None of the other bombers (Kaczynski, Yousef, etc) were in solitary, I don't know why Tsarnaev would be.
As of 2013 he was still in solitary confinement:
Ramzi Yousef, 45, has been imprisoned since his capture in Pakistan in 1995 - two years after he killed six people and injured 1,000 others after detonating explosives beneath the North Tower.

Since the September 11 attacks, the 45-year-old Pakistani national has been in solitary confinement in a 7-foot-by-11-foot cell at the federal ADX supermax prison in Colorado, known as 'the Alcatraz of the Rockies.'

Yousef says that despite good behavior while behind bars, he remains in solitary solely because he is a terrorist - which he claims is a violation of his due process rights.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... r-bombing-

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:07 pm

As of 2013 he was still in solitary confinement:
Ramzi Yousef, 45, has been imprisoned since his capture in Pakistan in 1995 - two years after he killed six people and injured 1,000 others after detonating explosives beneath the North Tower.

Since the September 11 attacks, the 45-year-old Pakistani national has been in solitary confinement in a 7-foot-by-11-foot cell at the federal ADX supermax prison in Colorado, known as 'the Alcatraz of the Rockies.'

Yousef says that despite good behavior while behind bars, he remains in solitary solely because he is a terrorist - which he claims is a violation of his due process rights.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... r-bombing-
Didn't know that. All the other bombers (Yousef included) had been housed at the FCI in I think Indiana where the federal death row is located.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:51 pm

He'll go to the Supermax in Colorado, which is worth googling.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:55 pm

It's a particularly terrible place and seems just.