Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:13 pm

I have the fall crud. Congestion, fatigue, fogginess. Just in time for a few days in Hilton Head. Joy!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:41 pm

Same except mine is a scratchy throat and slight cough. If I'm sick for Thanksgiving I'm going to be pissed.
Hope it passes quickly, good luck :thumb:

Ditto for DG!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:43 pm

My affliction ended up being a stomach bug. As usual, I had it the mildest with very brief digestion issues and then I slept for 18 of 24 hours. I've felt much better as the day went on today.

The other three were not as fortunate but thankfully this seems to be a 12 hour quick hitter.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:14 pm

I skipped the family’s thanksgiving dinner due my bug. Fever reached 102 Wednesday evening but I’ve been fever free since. Tested negative for covid twice. Of course my wife’s uncle went to thanksgiving despite not feeling great and tested positive this morning.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:15 pm

Selfish. I can’t stand people like that.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:43 pm

I just don’t understand testing the next day and not, you know, before you go to somebody’s house.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:23 pm

I had a cough that started probably a month ago. Pretty much the only symptom of whatever it was my daughter brought home. Coughed at least three weeks and towards the end, started getting a pain in my rib area. I thought it was probably just a pulled muscle but the cough's been gone at least a week and the pain's still there. Not constant, just when I move my arm certain ways, cough, sneeze, or breathe really deeply.

I can't imagine I broke a rib freaking coughing, but Dr. Google says it's possible although unlikely, so if it's still painful Monday I'm going to have it looked at.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:39 pm

6 hours post COVID and flu shot and so far, just feel like I got punched in the arm.
#TeamPfizer FTW!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:49 pm

@RonnieFranchise for the last 10 years or so, I get the fall crud and cough for a month plus. Maybe it's a middle age thing? But I definitely got whatever I had this week from filthy college students. I really hope it's not that again...I haven't had the full crud since 2019.

@shoeshine boy my double shots were the easiest, symptoms-wise, of any of my COVID boosters. Almost nothing except a sore arm for a few hours. #TeamModerna tho

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:54 pm

@DigitalGypsy66 I had asthma when I was a teenager and haven't had an attack since college, but when I get a cold, it hangs on double what a normal person gets. Fortunately, I don't seem to get sick too often.

The U

Postby The U » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:22 pm

I had a cough that started probably a month ago. Pretty much the only symptom of whatever it was my daughter brought home. Coughed at least three weeks and towards the end, started getting a pain in my rib area. I thought it was probably just a pulled muscle but the cough's been gone at least a week and the pain's still there. Not constant, just when I move my arm certain ways, cough, sneeze, or breathe really deeply.

I can't imagine I broke a rib freaking coughing, but Dr. Google says it's possible although unlikely, so if it's still painful Monday I'm going to have it looked at.
Google: costochondritis

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Google: costochondritis
Finally went to the doc and we have a winner

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:16 pm

Well done Dr. @The U!

The U

Postby The U » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:20 am

:D

I just need you to venmo me your $35 copay and we’ll be all set

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:28 am

When you run the insurance you’ll find we met our out of pocket maximum this year!

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:46 am

So they put me on prednisone for the costochondritis, which didn't touch it, so now I'm on indomethacin which is an NSAID and has turned up my tinnitis to about a 5. But my ribs feel better. I gotta travel next week and drag stuff through airports so I'm sticking with the meds.

Also supposed to avoid alcohol which sucks when I'm traveling in the holiday season with my work friends. Oh well.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:58 pm

Mrs Tif started a new medical procedure a couple weeks ago. It's a blood infusion that takes a few hours to administer; first two treatments are two weeks apart, then you repeat at six months and reevaluate. It's not the big C, but it's certainly not an unserious condition either. And the infusions are done at the same places as chemo, so the lobby reads "Oncology and Hematology", which certainly gets your attention.

Bill for the first round was $22,500. So all-in for the first stage of treatment the total will be around $90,000 billed in half a year.

Insurance brought our out-of-pocket down to three digits, because she's in pharma/biotech and has excellent insurance. But I'm reasonably sure this medical condition doesn't select people based on their occupation, so I can't imagine what it's like needing what very much amounts to critical medical care without that kind of coverage.

Richest country in the history of human civilization and a motherf**ker can't get sick without going into hock.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:30 pm

Not to compare to Mrs tif at all, but for a couple months now, I've had pain in my shoulder with certain movements absolutely crippling me. But because of insurance, I am waiting until the new year until I get the MRI, because if I need surgery, I don't want those costs split between 2023 and 2024. So dumb that I basically have to live in pain for a few months because of insurance

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:41 pm

So they put me on prednisone for the costochondritis, which didn't touch it, so now I'm on indomethacin which is an NSAID and has turned up my tinnitis to about a 5. But my ribs feel better. I gotta travel next week and drag stuff through airports so I'm sticking with the meds.

Also supposed to avoid alcohol which sucks when I'm traveling in the holiday season with my work friends. Oh well.
I had costrochondritis like 2 years ago and they basically told me to suck it up and stop being a little b*tch. Lucky you for getting something. Took like 8 weeks to heal itself

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:17 pm

I was in an accident and my ribs pulled away from my breastbone.

Diagnosed as costochondritis and doc gave me 10 hydrocodone and I only took one before bed to sleep without pain. Never finished that bottle but understand how you could get hooked on them.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:58 pm

**** up my back putting up the outside decorations. Hopefully the Au Pair has some massage skills to help out.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:02 pm

I had costrochondritis like 2 years ago and they basically told me to suck it up and stop being a little b*tch. Lucky you for getting something. Took like 8 weeks to heal itself
It's the weirdest pain. A lot of the time, it's fine. Sometimes I wake up at night in agony, roll over and it's good. Sometimes I try to stand up and it hurts too bad, sit down, stand back up and it's good. Sometimes it aches all day. Sometimes it feels like someone it trying to rip my ribs out right by my sternum to the point I'm like, seriously am I having a heart attack? Others it's way over on my side. The meds have kept it mostly at bay the past couple of days.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:55 pm

It's the weirdest pain. A lot of the time, it's fine. Sometimes I wake up at night in agony, roll over and it's good. Sometimes I try to stand up and it hurts too bad, sit down, stand back up and it's good. Sometimes it aches all day. Sometimes it feels like someone it trying to rip my ribs out right by my sternum to the point I'm like, seriously am I having a heart attack? Others it's way over on my side. The meds have kept it mostly at bay the past couple of days.
That was mine at first until my Dr said F off. The spot where my sternum meets my ribs hurt so GD bad

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm

**** up my back putting up the outside decorations. Hopefully the Au Pair has some massage skills to help out.
Is she hot?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:58 pm

Is she hot?