Comedy and Humor

meecrofilm

Comedy and Humor

Postby meecrofilm » Thu May 09, 2024 2:56 pm

It's about who the target is. If it's a Sagat roast and you toss in something about him and the Olsen Twins in there, who's really the butt of that joke? At who's expense are the laughs coming from?

People who did **** deserve to be roasted for said ****, especially when they're a singular target. If you start to get into pure speculative stuff and/or tragedies where the roastee isn't even the focal point of the joke, then yeah, you're in hack territory.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:17 pm

*Olsen butt*

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:20 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that he was off-limits because they left the entire person and subject alone for the rest of the time. To not even go to that subject, when every single other possible angle was hit and hit hard for over three hours, makes it pretty clear what the rules were...
Exactly. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's just how you get people to play the game.

When you watch a 'true crime' docu-series on the Netflix, by around the 80th or 90th minute you can often sort of tell how things are going to play or based on who and who has not consented to be interviewed. Similarly, if you watch a roast and get 5 or 6 sets in and find yourself going "huh, no one has really made fun of [X person] for [Y super obvious reason] yet", guess what.

In this case, I think it shows the regard Tombrady still clearly has for Kraft.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Comedy and Humor

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 09, 2024 3:24 pm

a drake is a male duck

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:11 am

It's about who the target is. If it's a Sagat roast and you toss in something about him and the Olsen Twins in there, who's really the butt of that joke? At who's expense are the laughs coming from?

People who did **** deserve to be roasted for said ****, especially when they're a singular target. If you start to get into pure speculative stuff and/or tragedies where the roastee isn't even the focal point of the joke, then yeah, you're in hack territory.
Remember the Olsen countdown? Twenty years ago this year.

genoscoif

Comedy and Humor

Postby genoscoif » Fri May 10, 2024 8:56 am

Schultz addressed it on his podcast. Brady kissing his kids and Kraft were the 2 off-limit topics. Ross went right out and fired a shot, and Brady shut it down. Schultz didn't think it was scripted at all, and actually sounded like he respected Brady for basically putting an end to it. Thought being it was a live event, and if Ross got away with it other comedians had bullets ready to fly if the safety seemed off. The kids thing I totally understand, but Kraft was at the freaking roast. IMO you lose any bubble of protection if you're sitting in the front row. It screamed of 'I'm only coming if they don't talk about me'

Schultz also gave some interesting behind the scenes takes. Mentioned how the producer (I think) reviews the jokes and will let a roaster know if there have already been a ton a jokes about a certain topic. So Schultz going on late (last?) he took out some b/c they had already been beaten to death in the first 2 1/2 hours. He also said Bledsoe is a G, and him and his brothers ended up going to the Comedy Store? after the roast to hang out with a bunch of the comics. Said he was just fun.

3 hours is definitely too long, but there were some absolute zingers in there.
-Glaser with Kevin Hart is 5'4" 150 lbs...155 after the Rock finishes
-Hart with the 8 Karate classes a day and she's still a white belt
-All the Gronk stuff
-Tony's entire set
-The one that was my favorite, and probably cut the deepest, was Bledsoe's 2 things you'll never know the feeling...First overall pick in the draft and a 28th wedding anniversary. THAT is the right kind of savage

CBear3

Comedy and Humor

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 am

3 hours is definitely too long, but there were some absolute zingers in there.
-Glaser with Kevin Hart is 5'4" 150 lbs...155 after the Rock finishes
-Hart with the 8 Karate classes a day and she's still a white belt
-All the Gronk stuff
-Tony's entire set
-The one that was my favorite, and probably cut the deepest, was Bledsoe's 2 things you'll never know the feeling...First overall pick in the draft and a 28th wedding anniversary. THAT is the right kind of savage
Easily my favorite line I've seen after the fact.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 am

Was this anything like "when Emma Watson 18" being a top Google search in 2008?

meecrofilm

Comedy and Humor

Postby meecrofilm » Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 am

Was this anything like "when Emma Watson 18" being a top Google search in 2008?
There was a whole website dedicated to it. The most recent refresher I got on that was while watching "The Good Place," I think there was a reference to someone from The Bad Place being the guy who made said website.

tifosi77

Comedy and Humor

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:38 am

Heard about this on SXM this morning. She seems fun.

The Tom Brady roast was a Super Bowl of cruelty

blackjack68

Comedy and Humor

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:38 pm

Jason Kelce crying about it too.

MWB

Comedy and Humor

Postby MWB » Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 pm

I like a lot of sally jenkins stuff, but if she’s complaining about a roast that’s just dumb.

dodint

Comedy and Humor

Postby dodint » Fri May 10, 2024 12:58 pm

That's because he's an attention starved dodint. He can't fade into obscurity fast enough.

shafnutz05

Comedy and Humor

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:34 pm

That's because he's an attention starved dodint. He can't fade into obscurity fast enough.
Unfortunately, living near Philly I think I'm going to have to see/hear him for years

NTP66

Comedy and Humor

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:05 am

Eli from the top rope

RonnieFranchise

Comedy and Humor

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat May 11, 2024 9:04 am

Clearly some people don't understand the "roast" concept. People take over the top shots at the roastee, those associated with the roastee, the fellow roasters, and then the roastee takes over the top shots at the roasters. Easy concept. It's supposed to be cruel.

Some are funny, some aren't so funny, but it's pretty simple. It's just not some peoples' type of humor, Sally.

nocera

Comedy and Humor

Postby nocera » Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 am

In a professional roast, the roaster says something nice about the roastee when they're done. Something about how much they love them, so just keep that in mind.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Comedy and Humor

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat May 11, 2024 9:44 am

Boom roasted.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Comedy and Humor

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 14, 2024 11:18 pm

finally got around to watching it

It was good but they definitely could’ve gotten it down to 2.5 hours easy. Genuinely don’t know why Affleck spoke because he didn’t say anything funny or interesting. Ferrell as Burgandy was…ok but could’ve been cut. Segura and the one unfunny guy who doesn’t wear a shirt weren’t particularly great. Peyton wasn’t very funny either but I know why he was there at least. Cut out 3 of those 4 and nothing is lost and it maintains a better runtime

that said, some really great acts too. Glaser, Sam Jay and Edelman in particular were my favorite. Edelman’s “Jeff Ross is the type of Jew that makes you want to join Hamas” was other worldly funny

also I agree with Ross when in the beginning he said “we needed this”. It’s sad because this roast is a type of comedy that just doesn’t exist anymore. Whether the jokes go from well-meaning to being mean is hard to tell exactly but you can’t tell where that line is if you never approach it

also, for the Sally Jenkins’ of the world, I highly recommend watching this

also also the Brady 9/11 joke floored me. I was amazed he went there but it was ridiculously funny