Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:01 pm

Again, on the Twitter thing.

So what?

Don’t like it? Don’t use the platform, not like it’s a paid service or something you deserve to be run your way.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:56 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:13 pm

The longer this goes, the more I think this has Russia/Russian trolls involved somehow.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:17 pm

I don't know - maybe we, as a culture and society, shouldn't rely on third party apps and websites to rely on news and information? Apps that are subject to manipulation in order to - guess what - generate wealth for shareholders/owners?

If you want news, go directly to journalism websites and apps. Let's not see how an algorithm (based on engagement metrics, which lead to advertising revenue, which leads to stock valuation) decides to get us that news content. Go directly to the source.

Of course those sources have bias, which we all should be aware of...but that's a different discussion.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:49 pm

The longer this goes, the more I think this has Russia/Russian trolls involved somehow.
It really does feel like something. I can’t believe Musk is this inept. What it is - either a Russian mission, a Trump nut tickle or something for Elon’s own personal gain - I have no idea. But it just smells too fishy

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:41 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:48 am

That's sorta something I've thought for a while. We tend to think of politics as a continuum, A flat horizontal line where left and right perpetually diverge. But to me it's more like a clock face; maximum deviation from a common starting point is just another common point of overlap 180° out-of-phase whichever direction you go.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:37 am

That story out of Brussels is pretty wild

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:43 am

Looks like she was taking bribes.

These gulf states autocrats are out of control.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:55 am

Looks like she was taking bribes.

These gulf states autocrats are out of control.
Yep, they pretty much have a bottomless pit of money and operate with complete impunity.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:28 pm

That's sorta something I've thought for a while. We tend to think of politics as a continuum, A flat horizontal line where left and right perpetually diverge. But to me it's more like a clock face; maximum deviation from a common starting point is just another common point of overlap 180° out-of-phase whichever direction you go.
It’s called the Horseshoe theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe ... 20together.

everything in moderation

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:32 pm

One side wants universal healthcare, the other side wants to exterminate Jews. So basically the same.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:35 pm

If you squint hard enough

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:39 pm

lol that’s not the far left. That’s what Fox News fearmongers as the far left

the far left want to exterminate the heads of corporations and police

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:42 pm

I scanned the beginning of the article, it’s comparing right wing and left wing despots.

It’s mostly just funny to think about what a left authoritarian would be in the country, like we are so far from that it’s incredible. The Democratic Party is basically the institutionalist party, so would they would be the victims of the left wing authoritarian. The republicans are just slowly using the courts and gerrymandered state legislations to end elections.

The liberals are managing an extremely difficult electoral circumstance where they refuse to offer the left any meaningful progress, and are now relying on enough center and center right voters (ideologically) to support them against the garbage party.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:44 pm

Yeah, and a revolution would be forced to combat the moneyed interests that refuse to cede to the new government.

But again, there is no actual left wing authoritarian movement. Unless you mean podcasters.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Yeah, and a revolution would be forced to combat the moneyed interests that refuse to cede to the new government.

But again, there is no actual left wing authoritarian movement. Unless you mean podcasters.
oh absolutely. it’s not evenly distributed. there are many more far rightists than far leftists in the US

interestingly, I found this on the wiki article about far left politics

According to political scientist Paolo Chiocchetti, radical left parties have failed to concretise an alternative to neoliberalism and lead a paradigm shift towards a different path of development model, despite electoral gains in the 2010s;[22] when they were in government, such parties were forced to put aside their strong anti-neoliberalism and accept neoliberal policies, either proposed by their larger allies or imposed due to the international context.[23] This view is also shared by Mudde[24] and political scientist Yiannos Katsourides in regards to SYRIZA.[25]

Historian Gary Gerstle writes that, in the neoliberal era, with the collapse of communism, the globalization of capitalism and, in the Western world particularly, the end of any imperative for compromise between the capitalist class and the workers, the hard left has been rendered largely powerless and no longer feared by ruling elites.
It makes sense. There’s no far left equivalent of Bolsanaro, Trump, etc. It’s like generally liberals realized that far left views are a little bonkers but conservatives still haven’t learned that about far right views

meow

Postby meow » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:17 pm

How is this a one score game?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:23 pm

How is this a one score game?
far leftists have a good defense

meow

Postby meow » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:31 pm

Got dang libertards

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:40 pm

:lol:

While the far left may talk about nationalizing healthcare/energy/industry and defunding/disbanding the police, the group they really want to exterminate is white men...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:50 pm

:lol:

While the far left may talk about nationalizing healthcare/energy/industry and defunding/disbanding the police, the group they really want to exterminate is white men...
like I said, heads of corporations and police lol

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:57 pm

interestingly, I found this on the wiki article about far left politics

According to political scientist Paolo Chiocchetti, radical left parties have failed to concretise an alternative to neoliberalism and lead a paradigm shift towards a different path of development model, despite electoral gains in the 2010s;[22] when they were in government, such parties were forced to put aside their strong anti-neoliberalism and accept neoliberal policies, either proposed by their larger allies or imposed due to the international context.[23] This view is also shared by Mudde[24] and political scientist Yiannos Katsourides in regards to SYRIZA.[25]

Historian Gary Gerstle writes that, in the neoliberal era, with the collapse of communism, the globalization of capitalism and, in the Western world particularly, the end of any imperative for compromise between the capitalist class and the workers, the hard left has been rendered largely powerless and no longer feared by ruling elites.
It makes sense. There’s no far left equivalent of Bolsanaro, Trump, etc. It’s like generally liberals realized that far left views are a little bonkers but conservatives still haven’t learned that about far right views
Yeah, capitalism won, convincingly. And whether the efforts of the most powerful intelligence agencies worked non-stop to put their thumbs on the scale there are partly, or fully responsible for that outcome is up for debate.

But where we are now is the neoliberal world order, previously operating under a sort of "end of history" vision of global events, having just destroyed labor movements and actual left wing politics, are stuck with the sub-class masses aligning with the only alternative to that order.

The only meaningful challenge to this current social structure is from the right, and the moneyed interest, while opposed to MAGA radicalism, is not going to actually stick their heads out against this movement, because like Trump on 1/6 "the mobs aren't after us".

I think a worst case-scenario is like the situation in Rwanda with neighbors killing each other.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:21 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida-la ... 1670724426

Wonder where all the less affluent Floridians go to? Imagine if your property insurance bill was 5K per year for a 2900 sq ft house.
Low- and middle-income homeowners are the hardest hit, real-estate agents say. Home buyers already are contending with mortgage interest rates that have roughly doubled this year.

Susie Fernandes, a real-estate broker in Fort Lauderdale, said some clients no longer are qualifying for homes they thought were within budget, after factoring in higher insurance premiums. “People are downsizing,” she said. “It’s become an affordability crisis.”