Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:33 pm

You can tell she doesn’t believe a word of it either

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:34 pm

Any of you anti-gun types starting to warm to the idea that a purpose (if not the main purpose) of the Second Amendment is so that the people can have guns to shoot politicians and overthrow a tyrannical government?
This is what people like you don’t get. Your pea-shooter means nothing against the military. You’re not defending yourself from tyrannical government. You just like your loud toys. It’s okay that you like them but to claim the 2nd amendment has any truth to defending from tyrannical government in present day is disingenuous.

It was written in a time when everyone had muskets. Now, if the government decides you’re a problem a sniper would pick you off before you could do anything or a drone. Heck you want to round up yourself and 10,000 of your buddies? You still have zero chance. It has zero present day application past wanting to keep your boom stick.
Or they'll just carpet bomb your whole neighborhood.
The best - I assert only - defense you have against a tyrant is not the gun(s) in your safe, it is the reluctance in the heart of a pilot that keeps them from dropping a 2,000-lb JDAM on the head of a fellow American at the whim of that tyrant.
Absolutely, a leader doesn’t become a tyrant without the support of the military. That’s why I’m saying all the 2nd amendment chest puffing is disingenuous. If this country truly crossed into tyranny there’s no amount of civilians that would stop the military.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:37 pm

It was written in a time when everyone had muskets.
The question isn't one of assymmetry, that has always existed in its way.

When the 2nd Amendment was drafted, debated, and ratified you were expected to bring your own weapon to militia muster. Statutory legislation after the Constitution was ratified bore this out, with mandates as to what equipment (specifically) you were expected to maintain for that militia service. It wasn't so much that 2A also protected weapons of war, it was that it only protected weapons of war, for that limited purpose.

When the military reorganized in the early 20th century, the structural need for that went away. The militia was formalized into the National Guard and the Army became a standardized permanent force, and citizens were no longer expected/required to maintain their own small arms for the purpose of their muster. It was really only after this shift that you started to see the notion of the "individual right" theory gain any traction.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm

Absolutely, a leader doesn’t become a tyrant without the support of the military. That’s why I’m saying all the 2nd amendment chest puffing is disingenuous. If this country truly crossed into tyranny there’s no amount of civilians that would stop the military.
There was a scene from a show not long ago - maybe The Crown - that talked about this, the necessity of active complicity from the military in doing some light coup-ing.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:08 pm

I’ve never liked the “citizens would get destroyed by a tyrannical government” argument because it’s a tremendous oversimplification. Iraqis and the Taliban gave the US military hell without being overly technologically advanced. And I know they were particularly funded by Russia and other groups but you don’t think a China or Russia or a EU would fund an American resistance group?

also, while the US could bomb the **** out of a resistance group, it would be hugely unpopular and would be a bad military decision imo. So I can’t reasonably think of a scenario where the US would bomb its own soil

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 pm

I’ve never liked the “citizens would get destroyed by a tyrannical government” argument because it’s a tremendous oversimplification. Iraqis and the Taliban gave the US military hell without being overly technologically advanced. And I know they were particularly funded by Russia and other groups but you don’t think a China or Russia or a EU would fund an American resistance group?

also, while the US could bomb the **** out of a resistance group, it would be hugely unpopular and would be a bad military decision imo. So I can’t reasonably think of a scenario where the US would bomb its own soil
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/ ... -1985-move

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:24 pm

It was written in a time when everyone had muskets. Now, if the government decides you’re a problem a sniper would pick you off before you could do anything or a drone. Heck you want to round up yourself and 10,000 of your buddies? You still have zero chance. It has zero present day application past wanting to keep your boom stick.

So I guess when Trump becomes dictator, you'll just paint a bullseye on your forehead to make it easier when Trump sends out the drones and snipers to kill all his political opponents.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm

I can't see how swordbombing some redneck nazis on their way to make the south rise again would be that unpopular.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 pm

Popular opinion is something tyrants are famously reluctant to test.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:56 pm

I keep guns in my home because I am 43 times more likely to a kill a family member, friend or acquaintance and 22 times more likely to kill myself than to kill an intruder. guns keep me safe

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 pm

You strike me as someone who has a gun slip in your pillow case.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 pm

he does but he doesn’t store a gun in it…

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 pm

I keep guns in my home because I am 43 times more likely to a kill a family member, friend or acquaintance and 22 times more likely to kill myself than to kill an intruder. guns keep me safe
Guns don't shoot themselves

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 pm

So I guess when Trump becomes dictator, you'll just paint a bullseye on your forehead to make it easier when Trump sends out the drones and snipers to kill all his political opponents.
What are you getting at here? If the military backs a tyrant me having a snub nose isn’t going to stop any concentrated force against the citizens. How is/are your gun… sorry I meant guns going to stand up to a drone? Wait smaller, a Bradley… no smaller, a Humvee with a grenade launcher or mini gun? Heck, how are you going to sleep?

It’s a fantasy to think you having a gun will help in defending yourself against any true government tyranny.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:21 pm

You could argue that if the Move On folks didn't have guns they'd have been peacefully arrested instead of having a bomb dropped on their heads and burning to death.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 pm

Anyone able to digest this newest round of student loan forgiveness? I'm in the mood for a government handout.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 pm

Anyone able to digest this newest round of student loan forgiveness? I'm in the mood for a government handout.
You didn't get relief today?

What criteria was used.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:48 pm

For a borrower to be eligible for this forgiveness they must be enrolled in the SAVE Plan, have been making at least 10 years of payments, and have originally taken out $12,000 or less for college. For every $1,000 borrowed above $12,000, a borrower can receive forgiveness after an additional year of payments.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:50 pm

Ah yes, that's who needs student loan forgiveness, those who took out $12,000 or less.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:55 pm

I'm debating on getting on the SAVE plan.

Do the covid forbearance years count towards the 20 needed for loan forgiveness?

I've been making payments since 2010. The full, monthly payment. Not an IDR plan etc. I'm at 50% paid off. :(

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:58 pm

For PSLF loans all the covid months counted towards forgiveness.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:00 pm

I just had to resubmit my PSLF for a new tally. I have 4 more months and then I’ll get full forgiveness. I’m trying to not get my hopes up and keep myself in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” mindset but I can’t express how life changing that would be.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 pm

Ah yes, that's who needs student loan forgiveness, those who took out $12,000 or less.
Actually it is. The majority of those in this range started but didn’t finish college and many of those in this range are at high risk of default.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:40 pm

I just had to resubmit my PSLF for a new tally. I have 4 more months and then I’ll get full forgiveness. I’m trying to not get my hopes up and keep myself in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” mindset but I can’t express how life changing that would be.
There’s a good Facebook group that has been helpful with PSLF stuff. I’d give the name of it but apparently it’s having some issue right now and has disappeared from fb.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:43 pm

r/pslf is a rare useful sub.