Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 pm

tif... your questioning is very much off base here. As PFiDC said, you're asking for something that never would have happened at the time of the marriage as the entire idea of same-sex weddings is a relatively new (historically speaking) event. I realize that you don't think it (the miracle) ever happened, but expecting them to be able to answer a hypothetical that never had any chance of occurring is really out there.
If the teachings of the 1st century CE aren't applicable to a 21st century reality, then what good are they?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

I was unaware of the teachings on gay weddings in the 1st century anywhere in the Bible.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 pm

A church should absolutely be able to say no to performing or renting space for a gay wedding without any legal recourse.
But do you think Jesus himself would have refused to attend a same-sex wedding, and refused to turn water into wine for the married couple?

This is a pretty simple yes-no question.
This of course assumes Jesus turned water-into-wine at every wedding he attended.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:28 pm

I was unaware of the teachings on gay weddings in the 1st century anywhere in the Bible.
Precisely.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 pm

A church should absolutely be able to say no to performing or renting space for a gay wedding without any legal recourse.
But do you think Jesus himself would have refused to attend a same-sex wedding, and refused to turn water into wine for the married couple?

This of course assumes Jesus turned water-into-wine at every wedding he attended.
Honest question: Does the bible mention him attending any other weddings? As a matter of course, we can certainly presume he did.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Are you trolling, or do you really not see the differences?

I want you to answer the question.
I think I'm done engaging with you in these threads. It's tiresome. It reminds me of trying to communicate with EPP and none of the benefits of EPP actually being helpful on some subjects. Enjoy your time here, but I'm done with you.

You take everything so personally.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:49 pm

So apparently when the Rand Paul campaign site launched today, you could tag yourself on a map with a moniker like 'I endorsed Rand!' or something. All of the images they were using were from stock photo galleries.

In the grand scheme of things, it's sort of a non-story. But it's still highly derpy.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:54 pm

I think I'm done engaging with you in these threads. It's tiresome. It reminds me of trying to communicate with EPP and none of the benefits of EPP actually being helpful on some subjects. Enjoy your time here, but I'm done with you.

Doesn't sound like he's taking it personally, it's that he doesn't get anything out of discussing issues with you.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Honest question: Does the bible mention him attending any other weddings? As a matter of course, we can certainly presume he did.
I am sure.

Every miracle that was performed, every healing Jesus did had a larger point (along with his compassion on the individual).

"And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen." -- John 21:25

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:57 pm

So apparently when the Rand Paul campaign site launched today, you could tag yourself on a map with a moniker like 'I endorsed Rand!' or something. All of the images they were using were from stock photo galleries.

In the grand scheme of things, it's sort of a non-story. But it's still highly derpy.
According to the Twitters that has changed.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:02 pm

According to the Twitters that has changed.
I watched some of his press conf and it was fairly raucous (no country music for once at a GOP presidential announcement). He had the old man out there as his father but no passing of the torch.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Doesn't sound like he's taking it personally, it's that he doesn't get anything out of discussing issues with you.

Some people just don't like others with completely opposing views. Which is the case with him.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 pm

are we almost at the point where you say, "lighten up, i was just trying to play devil's advocate"...because it would be good to fast forward to that point

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:20 pm

No I'm done talking about this subject, it's getting to be ridiculous.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Some people just don't like others with completely opposing views. Which is the case with him.
It's not your content, it's your style. It's adversarial.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:31 pm

This is why we can't have nice things.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:32 pm

I don't understand how asking someone to answer a question describing differences is adversal. Especially after being asked if you are a troll or clueless. But whatever. I'm done discussing this topic.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:34 pm

A business's goal is to make money. A non-profit, a charity, exists for other reasons. They may need money to operate, but profit is not their driving force.

Tif's question about the first miracle could as easily be summed up by saying "Would God still perform a miracle for a sinner?" Seeing as how Christianity says he died for our sins, that all mortals sin (including the hetero couple @ Cana) I think the answer is a resounding yes.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:41 pm

A business's goal is to make money. A non-profit, a charity, exists for other reasons. They may need money to operate, but profit is not their driving force.

Tif's question about the first miracle could as easily be summed up by saying "Would God still perform a miracle for a sinner?" Seeing as how Christianity says he died for our sins, that all mortals sin (including the hetero couple @ Cana) I think the answer is a resounding yes.
This belongs on the Religion thread and takes a bit of biblical knowledge (so I will link to the relevant passage), but do you think Jesus would have created wine out of water for the marriage of Herod?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NKJV

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:44 pm

This is why we can't have nice things.
This isn't the old board and I don't think there's anything wrong with the conversation. C2i stepped out and said why. nobody didn't seem to understand why. I tried to clarify, based on what I've seen. There are certain styles on a message board that come across as adversarial, at least in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong. It's up to each of us to continue the conversation or not, but I don't think it's become personal.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:37 pm

This belongs on the Religion thread and takes a bit of biblical knowledge (so I will link to the relevant passage), but do you think Jesus would have created wine out of water for the marriage of Herod?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NKJV
Was Herod a mean drunk?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 pm

This is a stupendous troll job.

Greece: Germany owes us 279 billion euros
Germany owes Greece 279 billion euros in compensation for war damage. At least that's what the Greeks say. The Germans say the claim is nonsense.

The issue of German war debt towards Greece has been raised many times before -- most recently in 2010 and 2012, when Greece was negotiating the terms of its 240 billion euros ($260 billion) international bailout package.

But this is the first time Athens has put an official number -- roughly $300 billion -- on World War II reparations.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Thumbs up to the Greeks for the attempt.

Maybe next the French will sue the Italians for reparations for Rome's storming of Gaul.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Don't know. But whether Jesus would have done something does not control over whether an adherent of that religion necessarily should so something—at least legally. And Christians are not the only religious folks that may want to refuse to service a gay wedding. What about a Muslim baker? I'm pretty confident that Mohammad would have refused to attend a same-sex wedding. In fact, I'm pretty confident that Mohammad would have ordered the gay couple executed.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm pretty sure he would have, too. I was just curious what the Christians among us thought of the matter.