Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Not once in the last eight years have I heard something like, "Syria can either be Islamic or a democracy. It can't be both."
That's largely because no one in the last half century has really regarded Syria as a democracy at all.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:56 pm

I know that people like to be reactionary and all of that, but is it really necessary to ignore the fact that Kerry was obviously discussing the future?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:59 pm

And is there a single person in the entire world who believes President Trump will act in accordance with this policy? It's aimless chest puffery at this stage of the game, take-my-ball-and-go-home stuff.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Not once in the last eight years have I heard something like, "Syria can either be Islamic or a democracy. It can't be both."
That's largely because no one in the last half century has really regarded Syria as a democracy at all.
this

dafuq

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:00 pm

I know that people like to be reactionary and all of that, but is it really necessary to ignore the fact that Kerry was obviously discussing the future?

It is cowardly to basically create a **** storm for an incoming administration. They should have done this years ago if they were going to, not 3 weeks until they leave.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:06 pm

It is cowardly to basically create a **** storm for an incoming administration. They should have done this years ago if they were going to, not 3 weeks until they leave.
This is my problem with it. If that's the policy the Administration wants to assume, then fine. But pulling this now is solely aimed to flustercuck things up for the incoming Admin. As others have mentioned though, Trump has pretty clearly established that he will be an ally of Israel, so it's probably just as likely this is Obama wanting to give Bibi a big F U before he leaves.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm

so it's probably just as likely this is Obama wanting to give Bibi a big F U before he leaves.
It would seem so.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Can I get in on the FU train to Netanyahu?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:22 pm

so it's probably just as likely this is Obama wanting to give Bibi a big F U before he leaves.
It would seem so.
I'm sure this was planned since Bibi went against the Obama administration and spoke to congress despite pleas not too.

While I don't like how this was done, F Netanyahu. The Likud party feels they have carte blanche

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:25 pm

The more I think about a war between Israel and New Zealand the more humorous I find the idea to be... how in the hell would that work?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:28 pm

The more I think about a war between Israel and New Zealand the more humorous I find the idea to be... how in the hell would that work?
Israel doesn't want to mess with the Kiwi... just look how terrifying.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:28 pm

No more kosher Marmite.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Israel would take about 24 hours to erase NZ from the planet...23 hours to get there, 1 hour to erase. If they're looking for their own spot, this is a good fight to pick...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Israel's not going to do a god damn thing about New Zealand.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Well, of course...but it would be fun if they did...what a way to start a world war...invading New Zealand...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:19 pm

Then I'd have to jump on board this train:
Just nuke the whole region so that the true Israel can settle there. Then nuke it again.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm all for nuking Oceania...I'm just not sure why you are for it...

;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:29 pm

First we nuke Israel, and then we nuke @mikey's place.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Chicken patties will survive that impact.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:30 pm

The sides would be overdone, though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:32 pm

SAN ANTONIO -- Spurs coach Gregg Popovich spoke Friday about his frustration with Tuesday's election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States.

"I'm still sick to my stomach, and not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenor, tone and all the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic," he said before the Spurs' home game against the Detroit Pistons. "And I live in that country where half the people ignored all that to elect someone. That's the scariest part of [the] whole thing to me.

"It's got nothing to do with the environment, Obamacare and all the other stuff. We live in a country that ignored all those values that we would hold our kids accountable for."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1802 ... on-victory

Thats exactly how I felt
Eh. Kind of. But values, character, etc...voting for trump isn't THAT different than voting for whoever. They're all maniacs.

The bigger issue, of course, is that he's a completely unqualified buffoon.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Chicken patties will survive that impact.
And so will I, as I'm surrounded by delicious lead paint...

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 pm

SAN ANTONIO -- Spurs coach Gregg Popovich spoke Friday about his frustration with Tuesday's election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States.

"I'm still sick to my stomach, and not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenor, tone and all the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic," he said before the Spurs' home game against the Detroit Pistons. "And I live in that country where half the people ignored all that to elect someone. That's the scariest part of [the] whole thing to me.

"It's got nothing to do with the environment, Obamacare and all the other stuff. We live in a country that ignored all those values that we would hold our kids accountable for."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1802 ... on-victory

Thats exactly how I felt
Eh. Kind of. But values, character, etc...voting for trump isn't THAT different than voting for whoever. They're all maniacs.

The bigger issue, of course, is that he's a completely unqualified buffoon.
What are you talking about?

yes generally politicians are scum, Chris Christie, Cheney, etc but no one has been such a clearly awful choice before in the entire political history of this country

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:03 pm

I am just questioning the social constructs we've created in addressing the issues that particular group of people faces because it seems like the constructs are allowing and encouraging that group to keep on the same road. Why doesn't that community realize that? What is their threshold
That community isn't a single organic being that can make collective decisions. There are large swaths of people that can't keep jobs because of mental illness or just basic inability to function in our defined social constructs. It's not a black, white thing.
We need to help those people.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:12 pm

I agree that we need to help those people. I just think the government is the least efficient way to do it.