Politics And Current Events

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 am

But won't that bring into question the adjective "fake" then...?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:23 am

I wonder why the press isn't paying attention to things beyond his daily missives? Less Joffrey, more Jefferson, please.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 am

Interesting story on birthrates in the US:

http://myfox8.com/2017/07/03/us-teen-bi ... -time-low/
The teen rate is a “phenomenal decline,” said Dr. Elise Berlan, a physician in the section of adolescent medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Berlan, who did not conduct this research, said the reason she’s so excited is “because we know that the vast majority of teen births are unintended.”

What’s fueling the declines?

“Data [from previous years] really suggests it is access to contraceptives and use of contraceptives that has really led to these kind of changes,” said Berlan, who noted that “most teens are using some form of birth control” and the top method is “the condom, followed by withdrawal and the pill.”
Who knew that education and access to birth control could do such things?

Also:
On the flip side, the increase in births to older moms is also important, said Martin.

For women between the ages of 30 and 34, the birth rate increased by 1% over 2015 — the highest rate for this age group since 1964. The birth rate for women who are between 35 and 39 is up 2% over 2015, representing the highest rate since 1962.

Even older women, those between the ages of 40 and 44, showed a swelling increase of 4% over 2015 — the highest rate for this group since 1966, according to the statisticians, while the rate of birth for women who are older than 45 is also a record high though the number of births remains essentially unchanged compared to last year.

Joyce A. Martin, a co-author of the report and lead statistician, also noted the declining rate of nonmarital births — births to people who aren’t legally married — in 2016, which fell 3% compared to the previous year.

The report, first in a new annual series, provided additional vital statistics.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 am

Yes Trump is a **** ing moron and needs to get off twitter, which he won't because he is a psychotic child, but CNN and all MSM media outlets need to get off their high horses. They are all dishonest ratings pushing garbage throwers.

But yes someone needs to slap the phone out of Trump's hand and strap him in a straight jacket tied to a bed.
In what way, specifically, is the MSM dishonest? There have been very rare stories here and there that were proven false... is there something more than that?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 am

Not to mention many people let go for those false stories. It's not like the MSM is unchecked just writing whatever it wants. Slanted? Sure... outright lies? Not often.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am

Yes Trump is a **** ing moron and needs to get off twitter, which he won't because he is a psychotic child, but CNN and all MSM media outlets need to get off their high horses. They are all dishonest ratings pushing garbage throwers.

But yes someone needs to slap the phone out of Trump's hand and strap him in a straight jacket tied to a bed.
In what way, specifically, is the MSM dishonest? There have been very rare stories here and there that were proven false... is there something more than that?

Dishonest as in slanting coverage and stretching the truth. They may not be telling outright lies all the time but they definitely toe the line between truth and broadcasting their opinion as fact.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:48 am

Doesn't anyone here believe the media is playing a large role in the partisan divide of this country through their slanted coverage?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 am

Interesting story on partisan hacks gaps, and the perceived "civility" since Trump has taken office...

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/03/535044005 ... tions-down

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:55 am

Doesn't anyone here believe the media is playing a large role in the partisan divide of this country through their slanted coverage?
Sure. But there is always going to be a partisan slant in the media. Trump is a jag and just fueling the flames. He feeds off of it. Hell you can argue he won the election because he fully leveraged the partisan media

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:56 am

No.
I would suggest the divide in this country isn't any worse than it's been the last 50 years. The internet and social media just allow people to live in an echo chamber, reaffirming their beliefs as "correct." People get used to that and start to expect that in their daily routine in the real world which is why people seem more dug in.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am

Bannon has told colleagues in the White House that he wants the highest income tax bracket to "have a 4 in front of it," Axios said, based on conversations with unnamed sources.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc.com ... althy.html

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'd love to one day make enough money for that to bother me.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:04 am

I'm a flat taxer and would be totally fine with 20% on all forms of income - and no deductions. Strip the IRS down to about a server admin and a spokesperson.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am

I'm a consumption taxer as I feel a flat tax hurts those at the bottom far more than those at the top, but stripping down the IRS all the same would be fine in my book.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am

I'm a consumption taxer as I feel a flat tax hurts those at the bottom far more than those at the top, but stripping down the IRS all the same would be fine in my book.
Sure. You'd have to establish a floor, for folks who wouldn't be taxed. What that would be, of course, would be a point of debate.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am

Consumption tax ftw.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 am

Sure. You'd have to establish a floor, for folks who wouldn't be taxed. What that would be, of course, would be a point of debate.
Absolutely. I'd imagine that line being close to 40-50 K, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Same for consumption tax though. I wouldn't want all things taxed the same. Fruits and vegetables shouldn't be taxed at the same rate as a fancy watch. Needs and wants kind of thing.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 am

Same for consumption tax though. I wouldn't want all things taxed the same. Fruits and vegetables shouldn't be taxed at the same rate as a fancy watch. Needs and wants kind of thing.
All caps are necessary to prove a point:

THIS EXACT RESPONSE IS WHY THE TAX CODE IS NINE BILLION PAGES. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RATES. THE WORLD IS COMPLICATED.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:44 am

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm

http://www.psypost.org/2017/06/study-pe ... ents-49187
“When it comes to emotionally charged, morally contentious decisions, people who self-identify as conservatives tend to make these decisions based on their emotive, intuitive responses to the scenario in question (their gut feelings), whereas those who identify as liberal tend to put gut-feelings aside and make decisions based on an attempt to reason logically and consciously about the scenario,” Sulikowski told PsyPost.
:pop:

Also, the study itself is behind a paywall. If anyone wants the PDF, I can e-mail it to you, just PM me your address.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:05 pm

As always, the comments are the best (re:columbia's post)

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:07 pm

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/pennsy ... hat-77026/

tl,dnr: initial ruling that a PA/NP operating under an MD's license is OK to consent a patient prior to procedure. plaintiff appealed ruling and it was overturned.

plaintiff had complications after brain surgery (stroke, brain injury, partial blindness). plaintiff said they would have considered less risky alternative if the MD had reviewed the risks more clearly. news flash - you are having brain surgery. things can go wrong.

this is a silly ruling, imo, and continues to be a reason healthcare will be expensive in our country if we cannot leverage advanced practice providers (part of this is patient perception that they MUST see a physician, etc.)

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm

http://www.psypost.org/2017/06/study-pe ... ents-49187
“When it comes to emotionally charged, morally contentious decisions, people who self-identify as conservatives tend to make these decisions based on their emotive, intuitive responses to the scenario in question (their gut feelings), whereas those who identify as liberal tend to put gut-feelings aside and make decisions based on an attempt to reason logically and consciously about the scenario,” Sulikowski told PsyPost.
:pop:

Also, the study itself is behind a paywall. If anyone wants the PDF, I can e-mail it to you, just PM me your address.
Not surprising. The hallmark of being conservative is "Get the F out of my life, stop trying to tell me what I should do or how I should do it." It's a very self-centered (not as an insult) philosophy. Look at the single payer discussion before the weekend, the sentiment was I don't care what you do, just let me opt out of it.
Liberals typically look to systems in attempts to benefit. To create said systems there has to be another layer of inspection to produce the desired effect.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:18 pm

In before tif describes conservatives as both racist and irrational.