Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Doesn't anyone here believe the media is playing a large role in the partisan divide of this country through their slanted coverage?
Sure. But there is always going to be a partisan slant in the media. Trump is a jag and just fueling the flames. He feeds off of it. Hell you can argue he won the election because he fully leveraged the partisan media
:thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:20 pm

http://www.psypost.org/2017/06/study-pe ... ents-49187
“When it comes to emotionally charged, morally contentious decisions, people who self-identify as conservatives tend to make these decisions based on their emotive, intuitive responses to the scenario in question (their gut feelings), whereas those who identify as liberal tend to put gut-feelings aside and make decisions based on an attempt to reason logically and consciously about the scenario,” Sulikowski told PsyPost.
:pop:

Also, the study itself is behind a paywall. If anyone wants the PDF, I can e-mail it to you, just PM me your address.
Not surprising. The hallmark of being conservative is "Get the F out of my life, stop trying to tell me what I should do or how I should do it." It's a very self-centered (not as an insult) philosophy. Look at the single payer discussion before the weekend, the sentiment was I don't care what you do, just let me opt out of it.
Liberals typically look to systems in attempts to benefit. To create said systems there has to be another layer of inspection to produce the desired effect.
I mean, I've been saying for a while now that.....
In before tif describes conservatives as both racist and irrational.
Oh.

Never mind.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Doesn't anyone here believe the media is playing a large role in the partisan divide of this country through their slanted coverage?
Sure. But there is always going to be a partisan slant in the media. Trump is a jag and just fueling the flames. He feeds off of it. Hell you can argue he won the election because he fully leveraged the partisan media
:thumb:
He got over $2 billion in free media because of the incessant coverage of his campaign. By far the worst offender was MSNBC.

But at the end of the day, the real blame there lies with the media consumer. You and me. The networks wouldn't have provided that much coverage if people were not watching.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 pm

http://www.psypost.org/2017/06/study-pe ... ents-49187
“When it comes to emotionally charged, morally contentious decisions, people who self-identify as conservatives tend to make these decisions based on their emotive, intuitive responses to the scenario in question (their gut feelings), whereas those who identify as liberal tend to put gut-feelings aside and make decisions based on an attempt to reason logically and consciously about the scenario,” Sulikowski told PsyPost.
:pop:

Also, the study itself is behind a paywall. If anyone wants the PDF, I can e-mail it to you, just PM me your address.
TIL SJW warriors, the activist Left and campus crusaders are conservative. :pop:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Hey, if you want to claim them, by all means. ;)

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Yes Trump is a **** ing moron and needs to get off twitter, which he won't because he is a psychotic child, but CNN and all MSM media outlets need to get off their high horses. They are all dishonest ratings pushing garbage throwers.

But yes someone needs to slap the phone out of Trump's hand and strap him in a straight jacket tied to a bed.
In what way, specifically, is the MSM dishonest? There have been very rare stories here and there that were proven false... is there something more than that?

Dishonest as in slanting coverage and stretching the truth. They may not be telling outright lies all the time but they definitely toe the line between truth and broadcasting their opinion as fact.
This goes back to reporting versus writing columns.... so where are the actual news stories that "toe the line"?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes Trump is a **** ing moron and needs to get off twitter, which he won't because he is a psychotic child, but CNN and all MSM media outlets need to get off their high horses. They are all dishonest ratings pushing garbage throwers.

But yes someone needs to slap the phone out of Trump's hand and strap him in a straight jacket tied to a bed.
In what way, specifically, is the MSM dishonest? There have been very rare stories here and there that were proven false... is there something more than that?

Dishonest as in slanting coverage and stretching the truth. They may not be telling outright lies all the time but they definitely toe the line between truth and broadcasting their opinion as fact.
This goes back to reporting versus writing columns.... so where are the actual news stories that "toe the line"?

Every "news" channel is sensationalistic garbage. Name a program that doesn't spin the news coverage or report? The same damn news story is covered radically different between CNN, MSNBC and foxnews.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:08 pm

One thing that is interesting to me is how Trump picks his targets. Why CNN and not MSNBC? Why morning Joe and not Rachel Maddow? Why WaPo and not the huffington post?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm

One thing that is interesting to me is how Trump picks his targets. Why CNN and not MSNBC? Why morning Joe and not Rachel Maddow? Why WaPo and not the huffington post?

Maybe bc they are considered to be the more moderate of the outlets, compared to Fox News, MSNBC and huffington post.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Bigger name brands...more central to the foundation of what he is attacking...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:16 pm

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/w ... oogle.com/

Good old government telling when you are to let your child die.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Attacking the moderate media seems like a bad idea to me, but then again, I'm not the president.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Attacking the moderate media seems like a bad idea to me, but then again, I'm not the president.

"Moderate"

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Lol'd

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 pm

He's also pals with Mika and Joe (as well as the guy who runs CNN). So there is that aspect to it as well.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Bigger name brands...more central to the foundation of what he is attacking...
I agree with... mikey.

No one needs a maniacal cheeto puff to underscore the politics of HuffPo or Maddow. By going after outlets like CNN and WaPo - organizations that are, imo, by and large sound journalistic outlets - he can undermine and delegitimize the media as a whole. "It's us against them, folks!" It's a way of hardening his base, and inoculating himself from the reporting of the deluge of negativity he seems to bath in.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:35 pm

"Moderate"
If you're playing f*ck, marry, kill, but instead left, right, middle with MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN, I think we know where the stations sit. In the apparent ultra-liberal media, CNN is left-center compared to MSNBC.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Why would someone use the far end of a scale to initiate a comparison...?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:41 pm

GMAFB They've already wasted how much money and tied up a hospital bed for nearly a year.
Both the pope and the president stopped short of criticizing the court rulings or the hospital.
Because they know it's the right decision. It should have been made in October.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:05 pm

GMAFB They've already wasted how much money and tied up a hospital bed for nearly a year.
Both the pope and the president stopped short of criticizing the court rulings or the hospital.

Yeah I figured you wouldn't care that a government was making the decision regardless of what people want. I mean you need the government to make all your decisions, so it makes sense.

I mean we all know doctors have never been wrong before... :roll:

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Yeah I figured you wouldn't care that a government was making the decision regardless of what people want. I mean you need the government to make all your decisions, so it makes sense.

The government isn't "making" the decision, the doctors are. The Supreme Court backed them.

It happens in the US fairly frequently. We had a elderly patient who had a child that wouldn't let the patient pass away, and the hospital was able to obtain medical power of attorney. The daughter had no say in her care. Not sure why these stories pop up every so often.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:26 pm

The government isn't "making" the decision, the doctors are. The Supreme Court backed them.

It happens in the US fairly frequently. We had a elderly patient who had a child that wouldn't let the patient pass away, and the hospital was able to obtain medical power of attorney. The daughter had no say in her care. Not sure why these stories pop up every so often.

They had a doctor in the USA say that they would try a new treatment, the courts in Britain overruled saying they weren't allowed to try it even after raising all the money. That is effectively the government saying f$ck you to the parents.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:30 pm

They had a doctor in the USA say that they would try a new treatment, the courts in Britain overruled saying they weren't allowed to try it even after raising all the money. That is effectively the government saying f$ck you to the parents.
The argument from the doctors was the baby couldn't even go home to die because of unnecessary pain it would cause the baby. If that's the case, then how would we expect the baby to survive an eight hour flight to the US?

Again, these arguments always turn into the "government" or the "doctors" are sticking it to whoever. I sort of doubt that one doc came up with this entire plan.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I would hope for someone to have mercy and let me go. I sure as hell hope that assisted deaths are more common in future, should I reach the worst stages of having cancer (for example).

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 pm

I would hope for someone to have mercy and let me go. I sure as hell hope that assisted deaths are more common in future, should I reach the worst stages of having cancer (for example).
I deal with it fairly frequently. The amount of patients that unnecessarily suffer because of family members actions is honestly insane. It's incredibly sad when you know someone has no chance to survive but you are forced to continue treatment and cause pain/harm to these patients for no reason.

It goes back to the "death panel" debate....it was so **** stupid because those "death panels" would have been a great way to educate family members on palliative and hospice care