Politics And Current Events

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:35 pm

So I fear I'm back to meow's explain-it-like-I'm-a-five-year-old territory........ if this is a policy failure, why is it limited to this one specific institution? What are the unique factors?
Svb is the bank of choice to startups. And by bank I don't mean bank they go to for investment banking advice. I mean its the bank they use for bank stuff like depositing checks and writing checks.

So from like 2021 to 2022, svb's customers deposited $130 billion into the bank. That money came from startups raising money in the stock market through IPOs. I read something like 40 percent of all IPO dollars ended up in svb deposit accounts.

Over the last 15 months, tech startups have slowly spent that money without raising more money. As we all know there are a lot of startups that burn through cash and don't have a real business model for making money. So that $130 billion that came into has left the bank without any new money coming in.

Most normal depositors spend money, but they also obviously have money coming in, whether it's a paycheck from an employer or revenue if the depositor is a business. These tech startups did the spending part but not the depositing parts.

Meanwhile, svb took that $130 and had a few options: lend it or sit on it. It's hard to lend a hundred billion dollars. It's not hard to but a hundred billion dollars of treasury bonds and mortgage backed securities. Its safer to buy bonds than it is to lend to businesses and it's easier to liquidate bond holdings. Over the past 40 years, these bonds have had stable prices.

The last 12 months, the prices of bonds have dropped. It has been like a 10 percent drop or something. And it's definitely the feds fault that the price dropped.

So svb's depositors have been spending money, so the deposits in svb have shrunk. Svb has to sell the bonds so that there is cash in these actual accounts.

News came out that they sold like $20 billion in bonds at a $1.8 billion loss. That isn't enough to kill a bank. But it's close. So the bank went to the stock market to raise $2 Billion to plug the loss. They could have survived (at least afor a while) if the stock sale went through AND depositors slowed the rate of withdrawals.

But word got out that svb was hurt, and there was a panic. So customers tried to withdraw 42 billion in a day. No bank could survive 25 percent of their customers trying to withdraw all of their money in a day.

So tldr; if you want to know what's different about svb, it is that their depositors have different spending and depositing habits. They deposited a lot very quickly and withdrew it quickly even before the bank run. While all of this was happening, svb's investments lost value quicker than any time in the last 40 years even though these investments were about as safe as you can get.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:37 pm

Wasn't a main issue that they bought treasuries with a huge long term too? Foolish to have everything tied up for that long.
Short terms government bonds yielded 0.25 percent in 2022. What's not foolish about investing money in something with a yield that pathetic

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:42 pm

So I fear I'm back to meow's explain-it-like-I'm-a-five-year-old territory........ if this is a policy failure, why is it limited to this one specific institution? What are the unique factors?
Svb is the bank of choice to startups. And by bank I don't mean bank they go to for investment banking advice. I mean its the bank they use for bank stuff like depositing checks and writing checks.

So from like 2021 to 2022, svb's customers deposited $130 billion into the bank. That money came from startups raising money in the stock market through IPOs. I read something like 40 percent of all IPO dollars ended up in svb deposit accounts.

Over the last 15 months, tech startups have slowly spent that money without raising more money. As we all know there are a lot of startups that burn through cash and don't have a real business model for making money. So that $130 billion that came into has left the bank without any new money coming in.

Most normal depositors spend money, but they also obviously have money coming in, whether it's a paycheck from an employer or revenue if the depositor is a business. These tech startups did the spending part but not the depositing parts.

Meanwhile, svb took that $130 and had a few options: lend it or sit on it. It's hard to lend a hundred billion dollars. It's not hard to but a hundred billion dollars of treasury bonds and mortgage backed securities. Its safer to buy bonds than it is to lend to businesses and it's easier to liquidate bond holdings. Over the past 40 years, these bonds have had stable prices.

The last 12 months, the prices of bonds have dropped. It has been like a 10 percent drop or something. And it's definitely the feds fault that the price dropped.

So svb's depositors have been spending money, so the deposits in svb have shrunk. Svb has to sell the bonds so that there is cash in these actual accounts.

News came out that they sold like $20 billion in bonds at a $1.8 billion loss. That isn't enough to kill a bank. But it's close. So the bank went to the stock market to raise $2 Billion to plug the loss. They could have survived (at least afor a while) if the stock sale went through AND depositors slowed the rate of withdrawals.

But word got out that svb was hurt, and there was a panic. So customers tried to withdraw 42 billion in a day. No bank could survive 25 percent of their customers trying to withdraw all of their money in a day.

So tldr; if you want to know what's different about svb, it is that their depositors have different spending and depositing habits. They deposited a lot very quickly and withdrew it quickly even before the bank run. While all of this was happening, svb's investments lost value quicker than any time in the last 40 years even though these investments were about as safe as you can get.
:fist:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:50 pm

Also, anyone saying that they shouldn't have invested in such risky assets needs to get a grip on reality. They were safe. That's like avoiding ice cream because it's a choking hazard compared to drinking water.

With that in mind, loney is right, they had to have known there was a need to hedge against raising rates.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:56 am

Thank you for that, Roo. That's very helpful.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:16 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 am

well, that's unfortunate

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:21 am

That's one way to look at it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am

Thanks KtK for the summary.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:59 am

The gop “peace plan” is to try and make Ukraine give Russia land. It’s not hard to convince a dumb person to adopt this position because it hits the nativist bingo card. But i am almost 100% sure the sustainability plan is to use US soft power for as long as they can to make Russia’s invasion a failure

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:05 am

I'll never understand Americans supporting Russia. It just doesn't make sense, but then again, these people are the dumbest of the dumb.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:24 am

I'll never understand Americans supporting Russia. It just doesn't make sense, but then again, these people are the dumbest of the dumb.
Putin is the strongman MAGA wishes Trump could be.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:02 am

wait, I can make my heart grow with ivermectin?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:29 am

Wasn't a main issue that they bought treasuries with a huge long term too? Foolish to have everything tied up for that long.
Short terms government bonds yielded 0.25 percent in 2022. What's not foolish about investing money in something with a yield that pathetic
You're right, but that would be true if SVB was buying the 10 yr notes in 2015. The $130 billion was after the pandemic hit and the world started to "heal." I think everybody knew some level of inflation was coming, and there wasn't much of a reason to continue handing out free money with low interest rates anymore. So why wouldn't you offset some of that risk by supplementing with short term bonds at a low rate so that there's some positive value available?
And as you just described the start-up business mode of spending with little deposits, you'd think they'd have planned for short term withdrawals.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:21 am

Plant, grow

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:23 am

Oh man

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:25 am

Adios, muchacho

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:26 am

One of my whacko neighbors is committed to revealing the truth about covid vaccine deaths. Every time he finds someone who dies and who had posted about getting the vaccine, he shares their obit and their vaccine pic (for example, fb profile photos with the I got my vaccine banner) as proof. It doesn't matter if they died of cancer, suicide, in a car accident, etc. It's all because of the vaccine according to him.

He's also a huge advocate for Ivermectin. I really want to post that Vice article on his page, but I know it wouldn't do any good.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:26 am

Shaf... lol

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:28 am

Shaf... lol
Nah. We can post that jabroni every other post for a few pages as far as I care. It makes me smile every time I see it

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:31 am

Shaf... lol
Damn. I'm work traveling so not on my A game per usual :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:32 am

I can't believe we're three years in and still handing out Herman Cain awards.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:34 am

I just read through that ivermectin article. WTF. And that dude was taking it for a decade. No wonder his heart was twice the size it should be. And they are trying to say it was due to natural causes.

And the people taking it and complaining of severe side effects, yet seeking advice from this tards, man.....

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:36 am

He's also a huge advocate for Ivermectin. I really want to post that Vice article on his page, but I know it wouldn't do any good.
Smart man for staying out of it. It really wouldnt' do any good and probably just have people attack you, and with how nuts some are, maybe physically.