even at like, 10 years old I knew Twister was dog ****

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Wed May 08, 2024 7:27 pm

We've got SISTERS!

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Wed May 08, 2024 7:58 pm

Twisters is centered on Kate Cooper (Daisy Edgar-Jones), a young woman with a vertiginous history with a cataclysmic twister she faced when she was in college, and she’s been haunted by the experience ever since.
:lol:

I'm imagining Quint's speech about the USS Indianapolis in this context.
,,, sometimes that twister goes around ya...but sometimes it don't go around ya. Sometimes that twister barrels right atcha. Right into ya trailer. And the thing about a twister is its got this strong wind, invisible wind, like a Dyson fan's wind. When it comes atcha, it doesn't seem to be blowin'. Til it touches down, and that invisible wind rolls brown and green, and then...ah...then you hear that terrible low pitched locomotive. The sky fills with debris, and despite you hidin in ya bathtub, that twister comes in and...it rips you to pieces.

MR25

Movie Thread

Postby MR25 » Wed May 08, 2024 8:25 pm

IT'S THE WONDER OF NATURE BABY

*guitar solo from "Child in Time"*

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2024 8:52 pm

I rewatched A Perfect Storm fairly recently. It does not hold up.
Take it back.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:53 am

"Hold up" implies a certain level of quality that probably didn't exit in the first place.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 09, 2024 7:00 am

Diane Lane is in it. Of course it holds up.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2024 9:14 am

She's the best part of it. Everything else is baaaaad. The movie didn't age well at all. Maybe tif's right and it was bad in its time as well, but it feels very early 2000s and not in a good way. The cheesiness of the dialogue is matched by the cheesiness of the score. The CGI is that perfect 2000 level CGI where it's nowhere near good enough to pass as believable but it was the best it ever was at the time so we tried to buy into it. Nowadays it's like looking back at PS1 games and wondering how we ever thought these graphics were amazing. The romances (all of the time) are so forced, especially with John Hawkes. They desperately try to give every crew member a backstory which should result in you caring more about them but instead it just creates this jumbled mess of a story where too much is crammed into what is essentially a disaster film about a storm. John C Reilly's acting his ass off as usual but I still don't care about his story. Speaking of acting, Clooney and Marky Mark are cartoonishly bad. DD is correct though, Diane Lane is great. And all of this is not even touching that the only part of this that is "based on a true story" is that the boat went fishing and was lost to the storm. Everything else after they left town is a total fabrication and holy moly it shows. Like, there's a **** shark scene in this movie.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 9:22 am

Man, that's wild. Even when it came out I thought Diane Lane was the worst part. She makes no real effort to assimilate into the role, she just as easily could've wandered in from the set of Under the Tuscan Sun to deliver her lines, except she decided to put on the absolute worst, thickest New England accent when the rest of the cast just used their own accents. :lol:

It's one of my all-time favorite movies. It's kind of like Shawshank in that I'll watch it from any point any time I catch it on TV.

Is this what it feels like to be eddy?

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2024 9:27 am

I get that it's stupid fun and rewatchable in the same way that Armageddon or The Core is stupid fun and rewatchable. But it's not a good movie.

And I've always had a thing for Diane Lane so that's probably clouding my memory here.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 09, 2024 10:31 am

Man, that's wild. Even when it came out I thought Diane Lane was the worst part. She makes no real effort to assimilate into the role, she just as easily could've wandered in from the set of Under the Tuscan Sun to deliver her lines, except she decided to put on the absolute worst, thickest New England accent when the rest of the cast just used their own accents. :lol:

It's one of my all-time favorite movies. It's kind of like Shawshank in that I'll watch it from any point any time I catch it on TV.

Is this what it feels like to be eddy?
If you mean loving a movie and then not understanding why everyone else hates it, then yes, welcome to my world (I remember liking that movie a lot too)

Speaking of Diane Lane and best movies ever, please, everyone go watch Streets of Fire. I think it may be her first movie. It's definitely a movie.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Thu May 09, 2024 12:57 pm

Man, the Death Wish series is so bad...

I'm towards the end of Death Wish 2 right now...the characters that are not Charles Bronson are so weird, awkward, stilted...like, there's no way folks were doing some of this stuff in 1982...even though that's one of the weirdest times in our history...

Three ridiculously dressed, oddly effeminate dudes all dancing in wildly different ways together in a gazeebo to a boombox...and then they grab the boombox, try to hike up a woman's dress at a bus stop, then get on the bus, then get off the bus in the suburbs to go buy automatic weapons in someone's backyard, then start shooting at cops...all while saying the most stilted dialog imaginable...

Ugh, these STINK...

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Thu May 09, 2024 1:14 pm

Oh your god...according to the credits, the muggers names are: Nirvana, Stomper, Jiver, Cutter (Laurence FIshburne), and Punkcut...

****** die.

Don't come at me on this one, eddy...this stinks, and you know it stinks haha

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 09, 2024 3:23 pm

Oh your god...according to the credits, the muggers names are: Nirvana, Stomper, Jiver, Cutter (Laurence FIshburne), and Punkcut...

****** die.

Fun fact: Jimmy Page did the soundtrack to death wish 2 and it easily the best thing about that movie. I actually enjoy the soundtrack quite a bit and that's about the only thing I'll say about DW2

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm

****** die.

Fun fact: Jimmy Page did the soundtrack to death wish 2 and it easily the best thing about that movie. I actually enjoy the soundtrack quite a bit and that's about the only thing I'll say about DW2
Heh, very funny that you mention that. I noted that Jimmy Page got a "Music By" or whatever credit in Death Wish 3 (which is somehow even worse...). So, I looked that up and it turns out that he had no involvement in the movie, but it was just re-arranged DW 2 stuff.

I couldn't continue to Death Wish 4. Freakin' Bronson is like 64 when he's shooting a person in a small apartment with an anti-tank missile launcher...holy hell, what a trainwreck...

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 09, 2024 3:34 pm

That's enough bad talk about Bronson. Please watch chatos land and white buffalo to make up for the sour taste death wish left. Thanks. Love how he was born in Ehrenfeld, PA

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu May 09, 2024 4:03 pm

That's enough bad talk about Bronson. Please watch chatos land and white buffalo to make up for the sour taste death wish left. Thanks. Love how he was born in Ehrenfeld, PA

Ebert who once interviewed Bronson and wrote, "There is that about Charles Bronson, and it is unsettling. He really does seem to possess the capacity for violence. It is there in his eyes, and in his muscular forearms, and in the way he walks. Other actors can seem violent in their roles; Lee Marvin, certainly, and Robert Mitchum and Clint Eastwood. But they don't seem violent in person. Bronson does. Maybe that's because he has been there, and violence isn't strange to him: back when he was Charles Buchinsky from the coalfields of Ehrenfeld, Pennsylvania, he did time twice, once for assault and battery and once for robbing a store. There were hard times early on in Ehrenfeld, and in the Air Corps, and working in mob gambling joints in Atlantic City. Director Michael Winner once told me: "After we've been on a picture a few weeks, the crew starts coming around and asking, When does it happen? When does he blow up? Actually I've never seen him blow up. But he seems to contain such a capacity for it that people tend to brace for it."

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat May 11, 2024 10:29 am

Rewatching the POTC movies. Curse of the Black Pearl is so much fun. It’s a pretty perfect action/adventure film and it has possibly my favorite character introduction of all time.

Dead Man’s Chest loses some of the fun and charm of the original but the world building is really great.

At World’s End kills any remaining fun and is way too dour for a family pirate movie. I mean the damn thing starts with a kid being hung.

I haven’t started the post Verbinski films yet but from what I remember they’re largely meh.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:29 pm

The Captain Jack intro is pure perfection.

That movie punched so far above its weight. From an Oscar nominated pirate to an iconic score written sort of by accident. It's just a great ride.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:05 pm

Watched Ghostbusters Frozen Empire tonight for family movie night. It was okay, but definitely too long.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:08 am

Roger Corman, Giant of Independent Filmmaking, Dies at 98

So many people you probably never even realized got their start on one of his sets. The movies weren't always what you'd call 'good' but he was certainly one of the most important figures in the history of the movie business.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun May 12, 2024 8:26 am

Dang. What a legend. 98 is one heck of a run though.

I enjoyed his cameos in movies like Silence of the Lambs too.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun May 12, 2024 8:26 am

Also, RIP the first victim in Jaws, Susan Backlinie.
https://thedailyjaws.com/news/susan-bac ... ay-aged-77

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:39 am

The Fall Guy was great. Lots of callbacks to action movies and of course the OG TV series.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed May 15, 2024 7:59 am

Not sure what's happening here, but I fully support him using his own money for this.