I have enough in my queue right now…

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Illumination making the Mario movie, I think it will be good

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:31 pm

We’ll see. The casting just doesn’t look good.

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:38 pm

Excellent

I've never see that print without the movie logo in the lower right, but I like it better this way.
A quick search only yielded Pinterest bs. Where might one acquire this absolutely perfect effin poster sans the Jaws logo?

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Excellent

I've never see that print without the movie logo in the lower right, but I like it better this way.
A quick search only yielded Pinterest bs. Where might one acquire this absolutely perfect effin poster sans the Jaws logo?
Looks like it's sold out.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/21207347/Chum-Chart

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm

Shoot, that gallery is in LA; victory is mine!

success_kid.jpg

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Shoot, that gallery is in LA; victory is mine!

success_kid.jpg

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am

Watched Netflix's Kate the other day. Pretty decent action flick, with a few John Wick-lite gun fight scenes. And in contrast to the Eastwood film above, the child actor was actually pretty good.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Watched Netflix's Kate the other day. Pretty decent action flick, with a few John Wick-lite gun fight scenes. And in contrast to the Eastwood film above, the child actor was actually pretty good.
I watched it last weekend and enjoyed it.
Thought it was a little odd how attached the kid got to Kate, given that she killed her father, though.

RonnieFranchise

Movie Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Cry Macho (HBO Max) was pretty good. Good to see 90-year-old Clint riding around on a horse and seemingly moving around like someone 15 years younger. Sweet story, but the lead kid wasn't a great actor. Definitely worth checking out.
Saw it at the drive in last weekend. I enjoyed it. Definitely somewhat along the Gran Torino formula but dressed up as a road movie.

Other half the double feature was Old. M Night Shyamalan has just nothing left in the tank. It sucked.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:06 pm

Cry Macho (HBO Max) was pretty good. Good to see 90-year-old Clint riding around on a horse and seemingly moving around like someone 15 years younger. Sweet story, but the lead kid wasn't a great actor. Definitely worth checking out.
Saw it at the drive in last weekend. I enjoyed it. Definitely somewhat along the Gran Torino formula but dressed up as a road movie.

Other half the double feature was Old. M Night Shyamalan has just nothing left in the tank. It sucked.
You just saved me 2 hours (was about to turn on Old), so thank you.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:20 pm

John Hammond has managed to build a theme park featuring living dinosaurs using state of the art genetic technology but the raptor transport gate isn't automatic...

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:54 pm

John Hammond has managed to build a theme park featuring living dinosaurs using state of the art genetic technology but the raptor transport gate isn't automatic...
You think that’s bad wait til you hear about the concrete moat and the feeding area.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:54 pm

ffs

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:18 pm

And all systems - security, surveillance, paddock fencing, park-wide electricity - shame the same single point of failure, with no redundacies. (Unless that's addressed and I don't remember it)

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:45 am

And all systems - security, surveillance, paddock fencing, park-wide electricity - shame the same single point of failure, with no redundacies. (Unless that's addressed and I don't remember it)
You have Arnold and Nedry running the entire place and there are definitely comments about Hammond going to lowest bidder, probably was running low on cash. That is all, no need to discuss any more failures from the movie because there aren't any.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm

The last two movies I've seen in theatres now are the worst two movies I have seen in theatres ever.

I watched The Card Counter (I think that's what it was called) on Saturday.
Starts off fine. A nice explanation of card counting and some general gambling principles to make it approachable for non-gamblers. Great. Good movies give you all the rules in the first 15 minutes (and don't change them, ad lib them 104 minutes into them like Inception's dumb b*tch ass). We have a little George Clooney Jr. type action with Oscar Isaac - the lone actor who brought even a shred of dignity to this. So, basically, this guy (William Tell) has some demons because he was part of the whole Abu Ghraib (sp?) torture thing. Gambling holds him together. Fair enough premise.

Then some kid gets involved with him for fairly unclear reasons. Tye Sheridan plays this character (Cirk - which is "Kirk with a C") and he offers absolutely nothing. No emotion. No action. Nothing to root for or against. It's really just unclear why he's here. So, for some reason, Clooney Jr. takes him under his wing because he wants to help him pay off his student loan debts and, again, for no obvious reason, reunite him with his mother. Whatever.

Clooney Jr has a financial backer of sorts and she later becomes a love interest. In this heavy (well, attempted "heavy", there's no actual emotion that the audience can feel), dark drama, the lone woman character who has to shoulder all of this excess weight is Tiffany Haddish. And she delivers a pitiful performance. Not just because her character was written by a fourth grader (I assume) but because she is so painfully out of place and just horrible at delivering scripted lines. The combo of the writing and her inability to act in this arena makes it one of the worst performances I have ever seen. I can't imagine what the takes looked like that didn't make it. There were times where I legitimately cringed after she delivered a line, which I guess is an emotion in its own right, so I stand corrected...

Anyway...after a brief flash of blackjack, about 100% of the gambling in the movie after the first five minutes is Texas Hold'em. Now...here's the thing about card counting: it's a blackjack thing. It's not a poker thing. So...why did...so...but...whatever.

Yeah, so, then a bunch of nothing happens. Then Willem Defoe is introduced as Clooney Jr.'s old army boss or whatever and he got off scot free despite his orders for the soldiers to carry out the torture or whatever. So, Clooney Jr. gets up from a poker game where he's down to the last three people for a million bucks or whatever it is. Gets up mid-hand, goes to Defoe's home and they have a torture bee with each other. Defoe dies in the process. And instead of Clooney Jr. going back to the card game and winning and signifying that he has freed himself of his guilt or something...he just calls the cops on himself, which means he's going back to jail...which we had already established that he hated so much he once tried to kill himself in prison (by way of another inmate)...

Oh, also, Defoe kills Cirk off screen at some point for unclear reasons...but Cirk initiated it, so it's hard to figure out who to root for there too.

I asked my gf which movie was worse, this or Pig. And we both agreed this is worse because the premise is absent, the title is misleading, and the production quality of this movie is way worse...there are just varying sound levels throughout a lot of the outdoor scenes, it's as the microphone is attached to a nearby bumble bee and he just flies around randomly trying to pick up as much of their contrived conversations as they can. At least Pig was a first-year film student's movie with a zillion dollar A/V budget. This is just a mess from top to bottom.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:06 pm

I'm a huge F13 fan. I don't mind Nightmare on ES but always been a Jason guy.

I'm rewatching the NoES series and it's bad. Like really bad. The acting is so much worse and F13 ain't exactly Citizen Kane. The original is fantastic. 2 is special for what it is. The rest are hot garbage. However, New Nightmare, if I recall correctly, is pretty good. The concept is great at least. A nice precursor to Scream.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:36 pm

Freddy vs Jason is a good time

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 pm

No Time To Die is getting good reviews, mostly. 2:43 runtime tho. :shock:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382320/cr ... _=tt_ov_rt

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Freddy vs Jason is a good time
I don't understand when fans of either series knock on it. How much better could it have been given what it is? It's the second best NoES movie (I don't consider part 2 to be part of the series. It stands alone). Jason's fist kill is spectacular. The plot is actually creative and brings the 2 together seamlessly. It's the best of both worlds and, as you said, a good time.

I also believe FvJ is actually NoES 7. It's an Elm Street movie with Jason in it.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:48 am

I think I've said it before but out of the entirety of all the NOES/Friday the 13th/Halloween movies ...you might have 5 or 6 that are actually any good.

Lots of guilty pleasures in there but a whole lot of crap too.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:57 am

I think I've said it before but out of the entirety of all the NOES/Friday the 13th/Halloween movies ...you might have 5 or 6 that are actually any good.

Lots of guilty pleasures in there but a whole lot of crap too.
Agreed. We're starting our Halloween rewatch tonight and while there's a special place in my heart for all of them, some are tough to get through. I'm looking at you, Curse of Michael Myers.