Travel Thread

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 am

Back to Atlanta next week for work✈️.

Meh.
having lived here all my life I can imagine how boring ATL must be for work. let me know if you need dining advice. I know all the great places the locals go to.
next time you're at the airport check in on Facebook but rather than just choose "Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport" do a search on "Jackson". the results are hilarious and make for unique check-ins.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 am

My wife and I spent last week in Cancun with some of her family. Weather wasn't great, but we spent most of the week in the rainforest, so it worked out. I had never been to Cancun before and was completely unaware of all of the awesome stuff to do outside the resorts. As much as I love just chilling on the beach, it was the outside activities that made the trip and are what I'll remember most. Don't think enough American tourists take advantage of these opportunities.

Resort: GR Solaris Cancun - nice rooms, great view, nice beach and pool area, mediocre food, pretty sure they make their drinks hoping you won't order another one. 3/5 stars, will stay at a different resort next time.

Outside Activities:

- Xcaret Park: Ecological park along the coast that features Mayan ruins, recreation of a Mayan village, snorkeling, speed boat activities, an underwater ocean walk, swimming with sharks, swimming with dolphins, and a swim through a natural underground river.

- Xplor Fuego: Xplor Park is an adventure park that is essentially across the highway from Xcaret. Its usually open from 9 to 5, but reopens from 5:30 to 11:30 as "Xplor Fuego". Going at night was pretty amazing. It kept the crowd small and it was raining in the middle of the rainforest, which gave off a Jurassic Park vibe. The park covers a decent amount of land, weaving its way through the rainforest and the underground caves. Activities include: a series of 7 ziplines above the rainforest canopy, the highest of which is 150 feet; a cave swim through a stalactite filled cave; rafting through an underground river; and finally, a 5 km course for amphibious vehicles, going through the jungle, over suspended bridges, and through water filled caves.

- Xenotes: This was easily my favorite place that we went to. Cenotes are sinkholes that are thousands of years old and were of great importance to the Mayans. A guide takes you to four different cenotes throughout the day where you get to zipline, snorkel, kayak, rappel, and cliff jump.

- Tulum: Site of Mayan ruins along the Caribbean Sea. In better condition, and in a better location for visiting, than Chichen Itza. There's something eerie and amazing about seeing the still red handprints of the Mayan painters that colored the settlement walls hundreds of years ago.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:32 pm

What was the cost per ticket for each of those excursions?

I was in Cancun back in 1991 and we went out to Xel-Ha and Tulum for a day trip. Xel-Ha had the best snorkeling I have experienced.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:05 pm

We did a package deal which ran about $300 per person total, with transportation provided.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Has anyone flown from Pittsburgh to Salt Lake City before? Got invited to a wedding at Logan, UT and looking to see how anyone got around there...

ExPatriatePen

Travel Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Has anyone flown from Pittsburgh to Salt Lake City before? Got invited to a wedding at Logan, UT and looking to see how anyone got around there...
Logan is drop dead gorgeous... but you'll need a rental car as it's a decent distance north of the airport

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Logan is drop dead gorgeous... but you'll need a rental car as it's a decent distance north of the airport
good to know, thanks. I'm guessing via Salt Lake City is the best way to get to Logan? I may have to extend this to a longer weekend to enjoy the town.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:17 pm

Also, not sure if you have any lodging suggestions for Logan, UT? I guess it probably doesn't really matter as this themed B&B has a Swiss Family Robinson Tree house room.

http://www.anniversaryinn.com/logan

ExPatriatePen

Travel Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:19 pm

I don't have any first hand knowledge of accommodations, but yeah, extend your trip. You'll love it out there! And yes.. SLC is the closest and best airport.

The U

Travel Thread

Postby The U » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Has anyone been to Colombia....specifically Cartagena? If so, any thoughts?

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 am

Has anyone been to Colombia....specifically Cartagena? If so, any thoughts?
so glad you spelled it correctly......

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:51 am

Any cool places to visit in Georgia? Going to the Masters in April and looking to explore Georgia the weekend before. Only thing on my list is Creature Comforts Brewery in Athens. Looking to raise hell, so any fun places?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:10 pm

dalton is really neat. there are lots of mexicans and carpet dealers

columbia

Travel Thread

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 pm

Don't stay in Augusta for any longer than needed. It's a true armpit.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Source of the post dalton is really neat. there are lots of mexicans and carpet dealers
Chewie, we're home.
Source of the post Don't stay in Augusta for any longer than needed. It's a true armpit.
don't plan on it, only going to the Monday practice round of the Masters so we're trying to figure out a way to stay close sunday night so we don't get stuck in traffic on Monday morning. It will probably result in sleeping in a car/woods with a lot of whiskey. Look for me on the news the evening of Monday, April 4 as we'll be the 4 idiots who get tossed from the course.

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 am

I'm going to Tampa for the Pens game on February 5th. Didn't get into the hotels I wanted, I'm in the Hilton Downtown Tampa.

Has anyone stayed here? It seems like a decent hotel, good location in regards to the Amalie Arena.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:25 am

Don't stay in Augusta for any longer than needed. It's a true armpit.
Aye, it's not called Disgusta for nothing. :pop:

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33 am

We're a year plus out, but there are initial negotiations for a trip to the Orlando-area attractions and then a few days in Bradenton for some spring training action in February 2017. The Orlando part we've got down pretty well, but I know nothing about Bradenton or Pirate City. Any hotel recommendations, and stuff to do if it's raining while we're there? We'll have our two kids with us - they will be 10 and 8 by then (yikes!)

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:01 am

Any cool places to visit in Georgia? Going to the Masters in April and looking to explore Georgia the weekend before. Only thing on my list is Creature Comforts Brewery in Athens. Looking to raise hell, so any fun places?
Athens in general is a great town. in the Summer it's pretty dead because most of the college kids have gone back home but in the Spring you should be good to go. lots of great bars and local music venues. ask the brewery guys which are their favorites.

if you do any time in ATL there are things to do depending on what interests you. around Centennial Olympic Park we've got the Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola. the College Football Hall of Fame is down there too but I haven't been to that yet. a few blocks away is CNN Center where you can take a tour of the studios. We've got a new streetcar that connects the park with the MLK historic site. if you're into more outdoor stuff Stone Mountain Park (REALLY big rock) is just east of the city and can be a fun day in Springtime weather. :)

let me know if you need food recommendations for ATL. :)

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:49 am

@blackjack68

Whats the best way to get to Medford, NJ from Pittsburgh? Stay on the PA turnpike until it hits the NJ turnpike? GPS is telling me to take exit 326 for 76 toward 202/476/philly/valley forge but I'm pretty sure that will be a death trap with traffic, especially if we are leaving here around noon....

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:24 am

@blackjack68

Whats the best way to get to Medford, NJ from Pittsburgh? Stay on the PA turnpike until it hits the NJ turnpike? GPS is telling me to take exit 326 for 76 toward 202/476/philly/valley forge but I'm pretty sure that will be a death trap with traffic, especially if we are leaving here around noon....
Sorry, just seeing this.

What they told you is the most direct route, but as you noted, at that time of day you could see lots of rush hour traffic. If you are getting to that point before 4 or after 6:30, I would go that way.

If arriving into that area between 4-6:30, I would just stay on the PA Turnpike into NJ and then get on 295 South to Route 70. There will be traffic, but at least it will be moving.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:59 pm

@blackjack68

Sorry, just seeing this.

What they told you is the most direct route, but as you noted, at that time of day you could see lots of rush hour traffic. If you are getting to that point before 4 or after 6:30, I would go that way.

If arriving into that area between 4-6:30, I would just stay on the PA Turnpike into NJ and then get on 295 South to Route 70. There will be traffic, but at least it will be moving.
If you left on time, you should be approaching the Carlisle area soon.

Beveridge

Travel Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:01 pm

I envision Eddy stuck in traffic cursing blackjack for not posting a response sooner.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Now I do, too. Good times.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:59 pm

@blackjack68

Did you make it okay?