You know what really grinds my gears...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:37 pm

Lol, the guy who does emission testing says he can’t do the waivers because you need some special license for it, and is insisting on the full test. I’m annoyed enough now that I’m going to search for a shop that can do the waiver because I’m not giving the state a **** penny for that.
An exemption and a waiver are not the same thing, but for the exemption all you need is a certified emissions inspector to verify that the vehicle has been owned for one year and driven less than 5,000 miles in the prior year. Mrs K's Mazda has been exempt for several years. Also, I believe most shops will still charge you for the exemption sticker...

https://www.autoexpresspa.com/blog/2019 ... aiver-.htm
Yeah, that’s what I thought, as well. I need to figure out specifics, because if the exemption still requires the scanner to read “ready”, then I have no choice but to drive it until things check out. My scanner showed the cat, an o2 sensor, and maybe one other item that was not ready. This is still all a money grabbing scheme.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:49 pm

Mrs. F’s Flex is throwing a cat code intermittently. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Drives fine so we’re hoping for a sensor.

The ‘09 Subie gets inspected on Weds, it got a new cat last year so wouldn’t anticipate issues but still glad it’s only gotten 4800 miles since 12/2/21. Beaver being an emissions county while Butler isn’t, wtf.

Son’s Fusion has a turbo overspeed code, that’s a little scary.

I hate that effing check engine light.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:39 am

Lol, the guy who does emission testing says he can’t do the waivers because you need some special license for it, and is insisting on the full test. I’m annoyed enough now that I’m going to search for a shop that can do the waiver because I’m not giving the state a **** penny for that.
An exemption and a waiver are not the same thing, but for the exemption all you need is a certified emissions inspector to verify that the vehicle has been owned for one year and driven less than 5,000 miles in the prior year. Mrs K's Mazda has been exempt for several years. Also, I believe most shops will still charge you for the exemption sticker...

https://www.autoexpresspa.com/blog/2019 ... aiver-.htm
The only piece of information I'm missing is whether or not the shop would have to check the OBD even if my car is exempt from emissions testing. I'm going to call a nearby shop today to find that out.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:12 am

Mrs. F’s Flex is throwing a cat code intermittently. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Drives fine so we’re hoping for a sensor.

The ‘09 Subie gets inspected on Weds, it got a new cat last year so wouldn’t anticipate issues but still glad it’s only gotten 4800 miles since 12/2/21. Beaver being an emissions county while Butler isn’t, wtf.

Do you have a way to reset the codes? I have VAG-COM for my VW and I can read and clear any codes.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 am

Do you have a way to reset the codes? I have VAG-COM for my VW and I can read and clear any codes.
No, I need to get one.

Dealer cleared the fusion and most of them came back, but it was on a Saturday and they didn't have their techs who can address it in that day. Flex I feel like isn't really anything major.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 am

With an exemption you still have to have the sticker on the car, right? And you still have to pay for it. So what's the point?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 am

With an exemption you still have to have the sticker on the car, right? And you still have to pay for it. So what's the point?
If you are exempt but have a CEL what happens?

My car has been exempt since I started WFH 8 years ago.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:40 am

Save a few bucks not getting it actually tested?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 am

Still need the sticker, but it costs less.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:47 am

When I lived 2 miles from work, I got the exemption. I believe I got an exemption sticker and not the typical emissions sticker. My mechanic also told me I had some emissions code that required attention, but he passed the car every time due to the exemption. Think it had something to do with the gas cap, so nothing major.

I don't remember paying for the exemption, though. Maybe like $2 for the sticker, but not the full blown cost of the inspection.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:52 am

Yeah, I forget the cost, but it's a lot less than a normal test. Even if it was $2 cheaper, I'm not open to just paying for a test my car is exempt from. That's just stupid.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:57 am

Sure. If you walk in with your registration and say "hey, I've met the requirements for an exemption" and they give you a sticker and send you on your way that's cool. But when you start having to do research and call around to other shops to teach this shop how to do its job you've already lost the value to me.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:05 am

I thought there was some new legislation passed that would exempt all new vehicles from the test as well? What happened to that?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:07 am

This is a new shop to me, which explains the issues with the exemption. I'd rather spend time now sorting it out knowing that I have to go through this ever year. Now I know not to use them for inspection/emissions. All of this research is being done while I work, so there's no value lost.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:08 am

It passed the Senate but not the House. And Wolf opposed it. That was a few years ago, not sure where it died specifically.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:08 am

It passed the Senate but not the House. And Wolf opposed it. That was a few years ago, not sure where it died specifically.
**** democrats.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:25 am

If you are exempt but have a CEL what happens?

My car has been exempt since I started WFH 8 years ago.
I don't think it matters. The Mazda had a CEL on the last two times I had it done, and they stickered it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:32 am

I called the old shop I used to use and confirmed that they don't care about codes, or the readiness state for exemptions, so I'm all set for next week.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:34 am

I just scheduled my inspection for Thursday. It's a brand new car with less than 50 miles on it. What a waste of money.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:44 am

the iOS text reactions (the like, dislike, emphasize, etc) are really starting to annoy me

the worst one is “x questioned your text” when I ask a question or am trying to come up with group plans. it’s so passive aggressive. if you had a question, ask it. Reacting to my text just confuses me

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:02 am

On Android, those reactions are sent as separate texts to me haha

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:04 am

On Android, those reactions are sent as separate texts to me haha
I notice this in my wife's neighbor group text. " So and so loved 'leaf pickup is tomorrow' "

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:04 am

Yeah. Super annoying. Though the Android messaging app is getting better at integrating them.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:04 am

It wouldn't be bad if it didn't send a notification for each reaction. My family is big on reactions so I'll get one actual message in the family chat followed by every single family member hearting it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:05 am

Or the guy that shows up to the group chat 8 hours late and 'emphasizes an image' as he likes everything he scrolls past while catching up.