You know what really grinds my gears...

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:30 pm

If it's in a personal message and not a channel, using Teams for long messages with attachments is dumb. Especially if it's somebody you message frequently. Sure, you can try to remember a keyword and search or go through a list of files to find what you need, but let's not pretend like that's an efficient way to work. You might prefer all of your communication in one place but again, that doesn't mean that it's the best tool for every form of communication.
Maybe it just comes down to what we are use to. My company has optimized slack with our systems and we have specific guidelines on how to use it and ensure good communication. So it is very smooth communication and integration. I find it to be a much better tool and like MIMH I find email to be an old system.

I agree that channels better than DMs for most things. That is the one thing that search function fails at with slack "was that message wit these 4 people or these 5 people"? But we have guidelines on this to prevent this from happening often.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:42 pm

Yeah, I don't consider Teams to be used in the same way as email. Teams is a much bigger pain in the ass for larger scale messages. Teams is also a pain in the ass to go back through the history of, unlike email...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:47 pm

I thought teams was supposed to be a more efficient way to send memes and gifs to coworkers when smarminess is needed

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:05 pm

I thought teams was supposed to be a more efficient way to send memes and gifs to coworkers when smarminess is needed

Work-approved **** talking

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:30 pm

ok I'm gonna be that guy...why would you prefer it on email? Teams is not any worse of conveying a long message vs an email
Of course it is. Teams is a messaging platform meant for back and forth communication, normally solving quick and easy problems. There is also a different response time expectation with Teams which is normally much faster than the 24-48 hour email response expectation.
"normally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there

people can use it however they want. personally I find email to be antiquated
Sure, use it how you want. That doesn't mean that using Teams for long messages with attachments is efficient or effective. It's definitely not the correct tool for that, especially if it's something that will need to be referenced in the future.
How different is teams from slack? Because slack works efficiently for long messages, storing information, and search. It's much better than email for communication and tracking, regardless of message length. And it integrated well with different apps. I have never once thought "I'd rather this be an email".
This. Except we have a corporate retention policy, so slack is meant for short term sprint adjustments and not meant to be where long term plans are housed. Regardless, send a slack and a meeting if you really want to hash something out. More efficient, easier to manage threads, and overall, just a better process than when I work with other teams that use email.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:08 pm

ok I'm gonna be that guy...why would you prefer it on email? Teams is not any worse of conveying a long message vs an email
Just when I think you can’t say anything dumber.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:09 pm

People who send Teams messages that should be sent via email. I just received a wall of text in multiple Teams messages, including pictures. I really want to reply with TL;DR
I’ve had this happened several times and I reply with, “thank you. please send this via email for documentation purposes. thanks”

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:15 pm

We have Google workspace so Chat is integrated with everything for that. I pretty much only use it for quick questions within our department or when I have to bug IT.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:16 pm

Yeah, that's more or less how I have to respond if people ask me anything substantive via messaging. Like, I'm only supposed to point them to email, can't even allude to the nature of their question, or even refer them to a specific email thread. Just "Please submit via email, thanks"

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:27 pm

Speaking of, one of the only benefits of WebEx is their ‘peek’ feature, where I can view the chat/space without my picture showing up in the “viewed by” section at the bottom. Helps me decide whether to get involved in the conversation right away or not.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:28 pm

I hate WebEx

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Yeah, it’s trash, and I don’t know why we pay for it.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:08 pm

I wasn't expecting to cause such a stir with my gear grind :lol:

To me, a Teams message is something I feel like I should respond to fairly quickly, but an email gives me time to thoroughly read over and come up with a reply at my own pace.
I’ve had this happened several times and I reply with, “thank you. please send this via email for documentation purposes. thanks”
yeah, this is basically what I did. Retension in Teams is 3 days, email is 2 years.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:14 pm

And with teams you (at least I do) have people calling me over teams. F' that. Schedule a call with me.

Or at least message me before calling.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:50 pm

And with teams you (at least I do) have people calling me over teams. F' that. Schedule a call with me.

Or at least message me before calling.
Amen

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:43 pm

oh I agree with that. Eat a duck if you’re calling me

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:55 pm

We integrated our phones into Teams, so if you call my old office phone line, it goes to my Teams.

Better than throwing out my cell to randos.

Also RE: Teams retention, is that your company's policy? I can search back multiple years

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:57 pm

For those that can go back fairly far, is it just me or does it suck ducks...? Hell, even scrolling on the left panel for all the people/groups you've interacted with is such a chore. It scrolls like back in the day when you'd click the center scroll wheel on your mouse and didn't realize it...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:06 pm

For those that can go back fairly far, is it just me or does it suck ducks...? Hell, even scrolling on the left panel for all the people/groups you've interacted with is such a chore. It scrolls like back in the day when you'd click the center scroll wheel on your mouse and didn't realize it...

It takes a long time to catch up if you scroll. The new Ctrl+F feature helps a ton though if you know what you're looking for.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:14 pm

is it different than that search bar at the top? I hope so, that search bar at the top also stinks...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:27 pm

In a way yes. It helps you search the specific chat you're in (which doesn't necessarily help if the chat is buried on the left side)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:20 am

FWIW, there are some good ways to filter messages in Teams that come in handy. If you're not aware, check out this page: https://www.amandasterner.com/post/tips ... soft-teams

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:32 am

I didn't know all of those certainly...so hopefully that helps. Thanks.

Like, I had a group chat - it was three complete boobs and me. And they kept putting requirements for projects (and changing them semi-daily) in this group chat in Teams. So, I was like, "all right, let me just export this chat into something, so I don't have to scroll in an inefficient way." No sale there.

Can I copy/paste it into a decent way? No.

All right, I'll ask the network admin...he said he couldn't do it either for some reason, I forget why, but it was a different reason than why I couldn't...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:02 pm

I think proper 'export' requires an add-on API that your IT may or may not approve of. But I'm not aware of any reason why regular old copy-paste wouldn't work. Is that something that can be disabled in settings?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:29 pm

What's the point of having a contactless uhaul pickup I do through my phone scanning my license and everything if I still have to go inside to get the keys?

Seems rather pointless.