You know what really grinds my gears...

JC2

Postby JC2 » Thu May 09, 2024 2:24 pm

A weekend trip usually works fine for us. You can hire someone (I think we use Wag) to stop in 3x a day to make sure they get out and get fed - much cheaper than boarding, but there might be an accident inside on occasion. Our dogs are 13 and 10.

Anything more than 4 days is usually a boarding trip, though.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 09, 2024 3:00 pm

we found an in-home pet sitter and I’m trying not to exaggerate, it’s been one of the best 5 decisions in my life

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 09, 2024 3:07 pm

Again if we are using my niece as the guilt trip here...she will be going to this travel tournament regardless of what happens with these dogs haha.
Yeah that’s really the biggest thing. The parents **** up but I wouldn’t want their **** up to screw bee over. But as long as she’ll be able to go regardless then it kind of doesn’t matter.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with you setting boundaries with them and being like “we already had plans for the weekend” or whatever. Their problem is not your problem

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 09, 2024 3:10 pm

we found an in-home pet sitter and I’m trying not to exaggerate, it’s been one of the best 5 decisions in my life
do you tip?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 09, 2024 3:16 pm

If so, how much?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:19 pm

Inch and a half

meow

Postby meow » Thu May 09, 2024 3:20 pm

do you tip?
of course we tip. what kind of a question is that

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:21 pm

Update on the whole situation...it seems like my MIL is taking the younger dog tonight and we are getting the older one. There is a slim chance the younger dog won't get along with my MIL's huge ass dog, and if that is the case we will end up with both but not until Friday night.

Still a cluster and I'm still annoyed about the whole thing. I told my wife this can't happen come the end of July or August when they go on vacation for a week or whatever. We will not end up with two dogs plus ours for a while week. We can take one and they can board the other or find someone to go take care of them three times a day.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 09, 2024 3:32 pm

do you tip?
like as much as a dog groomer?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:33 pm

Just got a message from our utility company that they're going to permanently fix our power issue from a few weeks ago... in an hour. Great, I guess, but I would have loved more than an hour's notice, as I am in the middle of a 12-hour multi-color print on my 3D printer. I guess I'll get to see how the power loss resume feature works.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:42 pm

do you tip?
I would tip more than a groomer if someone is coming to your house and letting your dog out multiple times and walking them/feeding them/playing with them etc.

meow

Postby meow » Thu May 09, 2024 4:06 pm

do you tip?
I would tip more than a groomer if someone is coming to your house and letting your dog out multiple times and walking them/feeding them/playing with them etc.
this person comes and stays at the house. she gets like a 40% tip

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 4:11 pm

We had one in Allison Park and it was great. Especially so because we had a fenced in yard and a dog door.

JC2

Postby JC2 » Thu May 09, 2024 7:02 pm

I 100% believe that.

My girlfriend typically works from home which is great, but when she travels, I become infinitely less flexible at work.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 09, 2024 7:10 pm

I call BS on not having $ to board dogs but having the $ to have your kid play travel ball involving out of town tournaments.

Oh and dance. Now didn't realize they were not up to date on vaccinations, that I will buy.

Our 6 year old cocker has a couple autoimmune blood disorders (thrombocytopenia and anemia) and the vet has recommended she not get vaccinations because it is a likely trigger for these conditions. (Dr. Google says this has not actually been proven but what am I paying the vet for then?)

Her vaccinations are good through June 15 so we're going on vacation June 1-9 to get her in under the wire.

She's had a number of other health issues that we are legit coming to a point that we can't continue to pay for. She was never insured and by the time these issues arose, nobody would insure her. So we are out of pocket. Pittsburgh vet hospital quoted $3-$5k for hospitalization, next time sadly she will likely not make it. There's just not that kind of scratch.

Anyhow, next time we go away we'll probably look for a dog sitter. Or not have everyone go away overnight till she passes away.

Right now she is on day 5 of a belly illness and I'm not sure how long I can deal with her various issues. It is grinding me down financially and mentally.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 pm

Utility company came out to perform the permanent fix on our line. Shut down the power, removed the temporary line, and then left. They now say that line was bad (funny, worked until they took it down), and will be replacing the temporary line while they fix the original issue. ETA 10:30pm. Still not worth spending $20k on batteries, but man is this **** annoying. PECO is incompetent.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:01 pm

I just was stuck behind someone driving 5 mph under the speed limit and using their turn signal on bends in the road.

I wish I was kidding. How do you obtain a drivers license and **** USE A **** TURN SIGNAL ON A ROAD THAT HAS NO TURN OFF

Probably wouldn't be nearly as miffed if I hadn't spent 5 miles behind some NTP66 from Ohio who speed matched but was slightly behind the dude in the right lane on 279 by Mt Nebo/Camp Horne. Meanwhile 4 **** people behind me are flashing their high beams and dude was **** clueless.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun May 12, 2024 12:43 pm

When a stoplight is out and cars just decide to fly through without stopping.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:03 pm

The ending to dog saga just gets more annoying. My niece finished up their tournament at like 11am. My MIL texted my SIL and asked what their ETA might be in the afternoon. They then say they are going to the park for a couple hours. Fine I get it…annoying but whatever.

We hear not a word until 615 when they say they are getting ready to leave but have to get gas first. Then they say they have to stop and pick up my BIL’s car before they come get the dogs. We are roughly 3 hours away from Cedar Point. They tell us their ETA to pick up the dogs is sometime after 10.

The lack of communication and just overall respect for our time….drives me insane. As I says before not the first time this has happened.

So my MIL and my wife texted them and said hey we have a key to your house we are just gonna go drop the dogs off around 8 as we all have to work tomorrow.

I got no sleep the last two nights cause their dog is old and just paced up and down the hall at night. Then had to go outside …rinse and repeat. I love that dog but it’s just tiring. She is obviously old and losing her mind as she just paces around all day here.

I told my wife we absolutely will not watch her for a week when they go on vacation later this year.
Last edited by skullman80 on Sun May 12, 2024 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun May 12, 2024 7:09 pm

I feel for you skully.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun May 12, 2024 7:12 pm

That's outrageous behavior from adults.

At least your MIL was siding with you but yeah, I'd never watch their pets again.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 pm

Next time take your niece to the tournament and make them stay home and watch the dogs

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 pm

"Suck it up, for the children." -meow

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 pm

I’m not sure why my gears are so grinded over this but they really are this time. I feel bad cause the older dog is super sweet and overall is a great dog, but she just needs so much care and attention at this point.

These last few nights honestly felt like we had Geno back alive cause how their dog was acting was the exact same way he was the last 6 months he was alive especially at night and me not sleeping because of it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am

Super annoying. My sister in law does the same crap... i think she purposely waits until the last minute so you can't say no without feeling guilty.

I was with meow - just help em out you'll be alright and they are who they are - until yesterday morning when they extended the trip beyond its original intent and basocally hid from you. Sorry... when you decided to have dogs and elected to use free pet care, you ceded your ability to spontaneously extend your stay.

My advice is make sure you have the conversation about the summer trip now. Not the morning of when they try to guilt you into helping again. Hell, I'd even plan a weekend getaway or an overnight trip to a concert or something during that same week.