BEER

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:27 am

Grabbed the Southern Tier Overpack'd sampler. Only tried the Nu Skool IPA and the Citra Hopped Live (their pale ale but with Citra hops), but it's great for summer beers. I think I'd be disappointed with them both as typical IPAs as they don't have much of a malt backbone to them, but for summer porch sippers, they're good. Still need to try the Tangier, Pilsner, and 2xSmash.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 am

I got a Unibroue assorted 6 pack yesterday.

Had the Tout Le Monde and Blanche. Both were the low ABV beers. Looking forward to trying the others that I haven't had yet. I think they're Don de Dieu and Trois Pistoles.

Robot B9

BEER

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm

I got a Unibroue assorted 6 pack yesterday.

Had the Tout Le Monde and Blanche. Both were the low ABV beers. Looking forward to trying the others that I haven't had yet. I think they're Don de Dieu and Trois Pistoles.
As a malthead, i really like Trois Pistoles and Maudite. The 17 Grande Reserve is excellent, too.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Count me as a fan of the Troi Pistoles and Don de dieux.

tifosi77

BEER

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Bourdain in a wine snob (and can afford to be), so I wouldn't expect him to care about beer.
http://www.winemag.com/2015/12/18/antho ... ftspeople/
So what is your “I want to go out and get hammered” go-to?
I’m a beer drinker.

Are you a hops guy, more of a lager…?
If it takes more than three seconds to describe the beer I’m drinking, you’ve really defeated the purpose. I feel the same about wine. I don’t need to know what side of the hill it’s grown on. The older I get, the more rough and rustic I’m enjoying my wines. I’m moving away from Bordeaux and toward unpredictable Burgundies, which [are] always a spin of the wheel and half the fun. Or Côtes du Rhône. Or no-name Italian.
That's how he feels about 'coffee culture', too.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:02 pm

He still strikes me as someone who doesn't know enough about beer or care to know enough about beer to talk about it on any deeper level. And that's fine. But it also seems odd for someone like him to persistently take up such a condescending attitude about craft beer. There's miles between his surface-level take on beer and the strawman writing tasting notes in his moleskin tablet at the bar.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Are you a hops guy, more of a lager…?
If it takes more than three seconds to describe the beer I’m drinking, you’ve really defeated the purpose. I feel the same about wine. I don’t need to know what side of the hill it’s grown on.
Okay, fair enough... but then:
The older I get, the more rough and rustic I’m enjoying my wines. I’m moving away from Bordeaux and toward unpredictable Burgundies, which [are] always a spin of the wheel and half the fun. Or Côtes du Rhône. Or no-name Italian.
Didn't you just do what you said you don't like?

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/25/here-are ... azine.html
For the first time in eight years, there is new beer atop the list of "Best Beers in America."

Two Hearted Ale, an IPA from Michigan based Bells Brewery, has been named the country's best brew, according to Zymurgy Magazine's 15th annual ranking. The survey asks members of the American Homebrewers Association, which publishes Zymurgy, to choose up to 20 of their favorite commercial U.S. beers available for purchase in an online voting system.

After the votes were tallied, Two Hearted bested Russian River's Pliny the Elder, which had finished in the top spot for eight consecutive years.

"This is an incredible honor for us. We got our start as homebrewers—that's how my dad got going—so we really identify with the homebrewing community," said Laura Bell, CEO, Bell's Brewery in a press release. Bell's father Larry, started the brewery in 1985.

Bell's and fellow Michigan based brewery Founders Brewing were the only breweries to place more than one beer in the top 10.
1. Bell's Two Hearted
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder
3. Founders Breakfast Stout
4. 3 Floyds Zombie Dust
5. Bell's Hopslam
6. Founders KBS
7. The Alchemist Heady Topper
8. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
9. Sierra Nevada Celebration
10. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:06 pm

9 and 10 are the only ones I see with any regularity.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Bells and Deschutes distributes up here. I've had all 10 before, but can buy 1, 3, 5, 6ish, 8, 9, and 10 with out much trouble. 6 is pretty rare though and I'd have to seek it out.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Bells Two Hearted? Wut.

It's literally a non-descript IPA that bars treat similarly to Dogfish 60 in that it's almost always on tap. Did they do something different this year with it?

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Bells Two Hearted? Wut.

It's literally a non-descript IPA that bars treat similarly to Dogfish 60 in that it's almost always on tap. Did they do something different this year with it?
No idea if anything has changed...but best beer in America? That seems like an odd choice.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah. Something seems really off about it.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Bells Two Hearted? Wut.

Bingo.

slappybrown

BEER

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 pm

1. Bell's Two Hearted -- old reliable, very good
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder -- never had it
3. Founders Breakfast Stout -- good, but overrated like a lot of Founders stuff IMO
4. 3 Floyds Zombie Dust -- never had it
5. Bell's Hopslam -- very very good
6. Founders KBS -- never had it
7. The Alchemist Heady Topper -- never had it
8. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA -- probably my current favorite mass produced IPA
9. Sierra Nevada Celebration -- good
10. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA -- very good, and enjoy the Pineapple and grapefruit varieties of sculpin as well

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

BEER

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 pm

i was at my local giant eagle on friday. they were sampling straub beer. they had their hopper lager which i had never had before which wasnt half bad. they were having a growler special. got a fill for 7 bucks plus two new pint glasses

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:52 pm

7 bucks for a growler is a good deal. thank you for making rural pa and st marys great again

Silentom

BEER

Postby Silentom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Of that list, I've only had #3.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 pm

For me, zombie dust and heady topper are the best beers on that list. Of the ones I can get here easily, Hopslam, Fresh Squeezed, and Sculpin are ahead of two hearted in my book, but everyone has their own tastes.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Drove down to Baltimore this weekend and stopped off at Top Golf. As I'm sitting at the bar, I start talking with the bartender about what local beers are around. He mentions a few, but made it a point to mention the only Delirium cafe in the US only a few minutes up the road.

Would I make a specific trip here? I'm not so sure. It's more cafe than anything, but they do have some Delirium swag that was surprisingly cheap.

If I were in the Frederick/Loudoun area, then I would probably pop in for one or two. Bartenders were friendly, food was good, and I was able to scratch the Delirium Argentum IPA off the untappd list.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 pm

1. Bell's Two Hearted -- old reliable, very good
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder -- never had it
3. Founders Breakfast Stout -- good, but overrated like a lot of Founders stuff IMO
4. 3 Floyds Zombie Dust -- never had it
5. Bell's Hopslam -- very very good
6. Founders KBS -- never had it
7. The Alchemist Heady Topper -- never had it
8. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA -- probably my current favorite mass produced IPA
9. Sierra Nevada Celebration -- good
10. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA -- very good, and enjoy the Pineapple and grapefruit varieties of sculpin as well
1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and a few variations of 10.

There was a place back home that was selling the watermelon sculpin for $2/bottle or $10/sixer. I don't think they knew what they had.

slappybrown

BEER

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Drove down to Baltimore this weekend and stopped off at Top Golf. As I'm sitting at the bar, I start talking with the bartender about what local beers are around. He mentions a few, but made it a point to mention the only Delirium cafe in the US only a few minutes up the road.

Would I make a specific trip here? I'm not so sure. It's more cafe than anything, but they do have some Delirium swag that was surprisingly cheap.

If I were in the Frederick/Loudoun area, then I would probably pop in for one or two. Bartenders were friendly, food was good, and I was able to scratch the Delirium Argentum IPA off the untappd list.
This looks cool

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I had one of those "I need this tonight" conversations at 5:05.

That's out of the way and enjoying Palo Santo Marron. :)

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:54 pm

1. Bell's Two Hearted
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder
3. Founders Breakfast Stout
4. 3 Floyds Zombie Dust
5. Bell's Hopslam
6. Founders KBS
7. The Alchemist Heady Topper
8. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
9. Sierra Nevada Celebration
10. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Bell's isn't my favorite on the list, but it is definitely one of my favorites. If I'm at a bar and don't feel like trying something different, this is generally what I'll get.

Out of the ones I've had, this is how I'd rank them:
Heady
KBS
Two Hearted
Sculpin
Deschutes
Breakfast Stout
Hopslam
Celebtration

shmenguin

BEER

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 pm

KBS isn't life changing but it's Breakfast Stout that is masterfully aged in bourbon barrels and it's...worse?