Randomness Dos

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 pm

A house centipede just ran across the wall behind my computer monitor. I think it's still behind my desk somewhere.

Not too happy about this.
I leave my house centipedes alone. They're very proficient anti-bug predators, so while I may have house centipedes around, I have only house centipedes. I have in fact been lying in bed, looked over to see a big house centipede just chilling on the wall, and then turned off the light and gone to bed.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 pm

A house centipede just ran across the wall behind my computer monitor. I think it's still behind my desk somewhere.

I leave my house centipedes alone. They're very proficient anti-bug predators, so while I may have house centipedes around, I have only house centipedes. I have in fact been lying in bed, looked over to see a big house centipede just chilling on the wall, and then turned off the light and gone to bed.
I am perfectly aware that they are great predators of other household bugs, but....nope.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm

The first time I encountered one of those things, I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. I had just gone lights out to go to bed. There were papers/junk/stuff on the floor of my bedroom, and I just heard the *rustle* of those tiny feet skimming across all that loose stuff on the floor. I didn't see the thing, just heard the surprisingly loud sound of it crawling across my stuff. It was probably months later before it happened again, but I still missed seeing it. Happened again just a couple night later, still didn't see the thing. On the fourth time, I had a hardcover book on my nightstand, so I just threw the book at the sound. So my first look at one of the things was an individual that had exploded all over my stuff.

Willie Kool

Randomness Dos

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:20 pm

We just find bodies - with all the legs chewed off.

#catthings

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I think part of my attitude comes from growing up in the country where at some point just about every critter found its way into our house. Bugs, mice, squirrels, snakes, toads—you name it. My best story: I go to take a shower in a bathroom that has a shower stall with a door rather than a tub. I have my glasses off, and when I open the door I notice a brown lump appears to be hanging from the handrail. WTF? So I grab my glasses, and now I can see there's a bat literally hanging out in my shower and looking at me. After putting some clothes back on, I managed to catch it in a towel and get it outside. After finding a bat in my shower (while naked), a little bug running across the floor ain't gonna phase me.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:26 pm

:lol:

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 pm

That's far from the only bat we had in the house. A bat (or sometimes bird) in the house was not an uncommon occurrence. But all of the other bats had the good manners to be openly flying around and not lurking someplace where I'm going to be naked and half blind.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 pm

In NC it was verboten to leave your garage door open at night. Best way to find a Copperhead that wanted to come in for some warmth. Then you get to fish it out with a shovel. Yay.

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:58 pm

**** that

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:13 pm

I shot a possum in my garage once. I was talking to a neighbor and I saw a large rat shape scurry in my garage, I shined a flashlight and sure enough it was bearing teeth at me from under a bicycle

I'm usually against killing critters but I had dogs at the time and I knew the guy lived under my shed and had to go.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably try to trap and release

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 pm

We had a possum come up to our window all the time in Aus and we'd give it kiwis. Longshanks was pretty humanized by the end of my semester. My flatmate let him walk up his arm onto his shoulder, I gave that a hard pass. I have a pic that I'll upload tomorrow if I remember

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Flying analysis has to leave the same way it came in...

Willie Kool

Randomness Dos

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 pm

@mac5155 That has to be the most disappointing post ever.

After two straight possum posts, see mac has posted, eagerly click thread expecting crazy Fayettenam possum story...

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:38 am

I named the house spider that lived in the window next to our front door. My wife vacuumed him up last year. His name was Larry.

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 am

@mac5155 That has to be the most disappointing post ever.

After two straight possum posts, see mac has posted, eagerly click thread expecting crazy Fayettenam possum story...
I have no recollection of posting that either. What the hello

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:16 am

I did a bad Reddit. Went down a serial killer rabbit hole and ended up at the toy box killer audio transcript. And now life has no meaning.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 am

I did a bad Reddit. Went down a serial killer rabbit hole and ended up at the toy box killer audio transcript. And now life has no meaning.
Was that one of those "scariest real life audio/video" threads? I read through one a few weeks ago and regret it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 am

I stay the f*ck out of those threads. I don't wanna know. I remember the days of Chatzy, and @malkintent and to a lesser extent @shafnutz05 always finding that stuff and sharing.

Silentom

Randomness Dos

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks for the warnings. Now I know what not to click on. I'll stick the browsing the Daystrom Institute, thank you very much.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

all the more reason to be scare of/not understand/avoid reddit

Silentom

Randomness Dos

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 am

I am perfectly aware that they are great predators of other household bugs, but....nope.
I leave them alone when I see them at home in the basement, but at work? C'mon son.

Never did find him yesterday.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 am

Source of the post Never did find him yesterday.
Because he's hiding. And waiting.

Silentom

Randomness Dos

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:17 am

Source of the post Never did find him yesterday.
Because he's hiding. And waiting.
Yeah, they don't really bother me that much. Just disconcerting to see it at eye level, approximately 26" in front of me.

Bugs in general intrigue me.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:21 am

I leave them alone when I see them at home in the basement, but at work? C'mon son.

Never did find him yesterday.
I posted a pic in the bug forum a while ago of one of these things crawling in front of my screen at work. I was put on the chump list immediately. You have been warned.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 am

Was that one of those "scariest real life audio/video" threads? I read through one a few weeks ago and regret it.
nah. it started with an albert fish thread. i kind of knew about that guy. he was a real jerk. but i DIDN'T know about the letter he wrote to the mother of one of his child victims. no biggie. it's not like i have a little girl at home who i already have anxiety for about what could happen to her. it's fine. everything is great.

but then someone linked the toy box killer. never heard of him. sounds interesting...lemme click that...audio transcript? sure...
dude kidnapped about 60 women for the purposes of chaining them up and using them as constant sex slaves. and worse. had it down to a science too. so much so that he recorded a very detailed and thorough message to each new victim that would play when they first woke up in his torture shack. and when i say thorough, i mean it. he outlined what their entire experience would be soup to nuts. so you really get to explore the head space of what his victims were feeling. neat, right?
...and now i'm changed forever