Music Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 03, 2024 7:05 am

Been listening to Hot Mulligan’s new album a lot recently. Really like it.

MR25

Music Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri May 03, 2024 7:43 am

Funny you mention Fearless, from Meddle. David Gilmour has a new album coming out in September and he plans to tour, but doesn't plan to play the big 70s hits - which I assume mean tracks from Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were, Here, Animals (which is more of a Roger Waters thing these days) and of course The Wall.

So Meddle, Piper at the Gates, etc. are all in. And the post-Waters Floyd albums.

Isn't that because Waters started suing anyone who played that because it's "Pink Floyd's music" and not any band member or something to that effect?

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 03, 2024 7:48 am

I don't think he can do that to Gilmour who owns or runs the name/brand "Pink Floyd" because Waters left the band. Gilmour is just tired of playing those songs, I guess. He puts out a live album or two for each of the recent tours and they'll have 90% Pink Floyd hits (including the post-Waters stuff) and a handful of tracks from whatever album he's touring for.

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 03, 2024 7:56 am

Fearless is Pink Floyd's best song

One of my favorites. Billy strings does a nice cover

dodint

Music Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 03, 2024 8:17 am

Animals and Wish You Were here instantly transport me back to being ~14 years old. It's just grooved into my brain and will probably stay that way until I die.

Pavel Bure

Music Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri May 03, 2024 1:54 pm

If you’ve never stumbled upon WMTSS on YouTube you’ve been missing out.

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 04, 2024 9:59 pm

This Drake/Kendrick Lamar beef has been entertaining. Lamar is burying him. He must have had this stuff written already with how fast it's coming out.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat May 04, 2024 10:46 pm

It's been great. :lol: RIP Drake.

meecrofilm

Music Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun May 05, 2024 12:21 am

If you’ve never stumbled upon WMTSS on YouTube you’ve been missing out.

I'm team tribute singer guy.

I stand by my assessment that most people's issues with a lot of Weezer songs is that....well, they're released by Weezer.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 14, 2024 6:27 pm

genoscoif

Music Thread

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 18, 2024 10:20 am

Last weekend my MIL cleaned out a crawlspace under her steps and found a small box filled with probably 70 or so 45s. Some were hers, but others were her mom and dad's, so my wife's grandparents. Basically stuff from the 50s and 60s. Bobby Darin, the Supremes, Pat Boone, Johnny Cash, the Big Bopper, a comedy bit from Andy Griffith about football, and a ton of other stuff. Lots of old country and borderline bluegrass.

We ordered and received a little record player on Thursday and fired it up. Been having a blast listening thru some of this stuff.

I'm thinking of heading down to the Exchange on Mcknight to see what they have. I think there's another music store on Babcock as well. I've been warned that this can become a dangerous hobby, but looking forward to building out a decent selection for us to play. Our dance parties with our puppy just got a huge upgrade. :D

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:10 am

Ah, that's a great find. :thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:25 am

My dad was halfway through organizing his 45s when he went into the hospital last year. I helped him with some of it, which was very cool listening to his memories of the songs and artists. We took a handful after my mom died and we cleaned out the house, but haven't had the heart to really sit and listen to them. :(

I do understand wanting to collect records again. I miss the tangible feel of cassettes, CDs, and vinyl compared to endless streaming options. Owning something, deliberately shopping for and buying a physical album is much more...substantial than just streaming stuff. I don't know if any of that makes sense.

genoscoif

Music Thread

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 18, 2024 12:00 pm

My dad was halfway through organizing his 45s when he went into the hospital last year. I helped him with some of it, which was very cool listening to his memories of the songs and artists. We took a handful after my mom died and we cleaned out the house, but haven't had the heart to really sit and listen to them. :(

I do understand wanting to collect records again. I miss the tangible feel of cassettes, CDs, and vinyl compared to endless streaming options. Owning something, deliberately shopping for and buying a physical album is much more...substantial than just streaming stuff. I don't know if any of that makes sense.
That's what struck both of us. The instant nostalgia from the sound of vinyl, and how it almost made us feel...sad? at times when we were listening. For my wife, the thought of her grandparents sitting and listening...and her mom and aunt rocking out to Chantilly Lace. It was awesome, but she described it as heavy.

And it makes perfect sense, DG. One of the most fun aspects so far has been having to flip or switch out the record after each song. It's not just that the album is tangible, the whole thing feels more...interactive. The whole of the experience is more substantial. I didn't really expect to enjoy it this much, to be honest, and am now kinda ticked I just got a fairly cheap player. It's not bad, but if this really sets the hook we'll look to upgrade.

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:03 pm

That makes total sense to me too. I have a record player in my office with speakers that I can also run Bluetooth on. Most of the time I find myself listening to my vinyls, even with having to get up to flip them every 20 minutes.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:00 pm

The Portuguese have a term called "saudade" for that. I've seen it described as a sense of melancholy or yearning or nostalgia that makes you happy and sad at the same time. I don't think there's really a direct 1:1 English translation. It's the kind of happy-sadness you get when you think about your first dog that crossed the bridge years ago.