Honeymoon Cost vs. Engagement Ring Cost

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:55 pm

I once told Kaiser that tattoo rings would be better than real ones. I still believe that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:26 pm

irt music, we had a single violinist at our ceremony. It was outdoors on the OBX and was a small crowd, so it worked well. Quite beautiful.

DJ for the reception.

Panther

Postby Panther » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 pm

irt music, we had a single violinist at our ceremony. It was outdoors on the OBX and was a small crowd, so it worked well. Quite beautiful.

DJ for the reception.
Still have contact info for violinist in OBX?

Panther

Postby Panther » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:08 pm

For those that are married, about what % of invitees attended? For our pgh reception, we are inviting around 180. I think it's reasonable to expect 15-30 won't show, but was hoping for some empirical backup.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:24 pm

For those that are married, about what % of invitees attended? For our pgh reception, we are inviting around 180. I think it's reasonable to expect 15-30 won't show, but was hoping for some empirical backup.
They say expect between 75 and 85%.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 pm

We invited 120, ended up with 90 or so. Most of the no's were people that lived 3+ hours away or were elderly and couldn't make the trip, so keep that in mind.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 pm

DJ for the reception.
Still have contact info for violinist in OBX?
http://www.kimkalman.com/

Our violinist was Shannah. Kim was very professional and coordinated the musician very well. We were the Gess' from May 2010 if you want to tell her how you were referred. I don’t get anything from it, obviously.

We had our ceremony on the walkway in the marsh at the Bodie Island light. Not technically allowed but the NPS owed us one and looked the other way.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:57 pm

What's the most unique thing you've seen/had yourself at a wedding?

I've been to 9 weddings in the last 10 years and I think the most unique thing I've seen is a photo booth or a c*rnhole game (which has a pretty low ceiling for how much I can use it until I'm bored).

I don't get why people don't add more things. There are three things you can do at a typical wedding: drink, talk and dance. And now that I'm over 21 the only one I do is drink...

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Source of the post photo booth
I'm helping a buddy plan a wedding for his friends (don't ask, situation is f'ed up if you ask me) and one of the first things he locked on was the photo booth.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:04 pm

We had a photo booth at our wedding with a ton of fun/weird props. People seemed to really enjoy it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:06 pm

photo booths are good.
Source of the postI don't get why people don't add more things.
things cost money.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:22 pm

photo booths are good.
things cost money.
It doesn't have to be expensive. Have a karaoke contest, set up some cheap games or something. There's a lot you can do

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:36 pm

When we planned our reception, these were our priorities:

1) People have fun

2) Everything else

We made sure our DJ was a legitimate DJ and not some fat guy that sits behind a laptop the entire night (which we definitely have seen at several weddings, including mumbling into the microphone during intros and other events). The hotel we had the reception at was top-shelf, open bar, for five hours, including the cocktail hour. Best advice for engaged people: after your wedding, not one guest is going to remember what your flowers looked like, what your dress looked like, what the centerpieces were like, etc (with rare exceptions). What they are going to remember is how fun the wedding was.

Side note: Some friends of ours had to attend a black-tie wedding yesterday. Can someone make an argument as to why enforcing black-tie rules (i.e. tuxes) at your wedding is not hideously presumptuous and vain?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Our wedding had nothing out of the ordinary, but friends and family tell us all the time how much fun it was. If you do it right you really don't need anything unique.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 am

photo booths are good.
things cost money.
It doesn't have to be expensive. Have a karaoke contest, set up some cheap games or something. There's a lot you can do
If you can't have fun at a wedding where there's drinking, music and a bunch of friends or family, that's not a wedding problem. It's a you problem. That's why people don't get extra stuff. The minimum is plenty.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:10 am

photo booths are good.
things cost money.
petting zoo? pin the tail on the donkey? its a wedding, not a carnival. drink and dance and have fun.

if you are looking for something fun to do, just start mixing it up with some of the randoms there. good way to meet some interesting people and get in to some trouble

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:25 am

I'll echo the last few posts. Outside of the photobooth we had nothing out of the ordinary. It was just a big party. We had a good DJ which like Shaf said.. can make a world of difference as far as keeping people engaged throughout the night.

You don't need lots of gimmicks, provide good music/atmosphere, a good free bar and some decent food and people are gonna have a good time 9 times out of 10.

I told everyone who came to our wedding/reception to wear whatever they wanted pretty much. I told them this is a party and we are just here to have a good time and to come dressed comfortable. We heard nothing but good things from everyone who attended.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:46 am

Just another case of the weenies....

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 am

I was at a wedding this past weekend at a bowling alley in philly... in addition to boozing and dancing, you could bowl, play pool, or play arcade games

A lot of people actually did. It was unique and cool.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:14 am

I'll echo the last few posts. Outside of the photobooth we had nothing out of the ordinary. It was just a big party. We had a good DJ which like Shaf said.. can make a world of difference as far as keeping people engaged throughout the night.
even with the photobooth...i don't think it would be a worthy investment if it was just something to entertain the guests. being able to keep those pictures and look back at them makes it what it is.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 am

our photobooth vendor gave us a photobook with an extra strip of pictures for each one that was taken. the guests the signed it and left messages for us. i think it was nicer than the traditional guest book

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:39 am

sorry I said anything

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 am

our photobooth vendor gave us a photobook with an extra strip of pictures for each one that was taken. the guests the signed it and left messages for us. i think it was nicer than the traditional guest book
We did a photobook of our first 10 years together (long engagement) and passed it around at the reception and had people sign that. It was awesome and one of the best ideas we had. I don't think we even remembered to take the actual guestbook from the venue now that I think about it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:12 am

The best weddings I've attended are ones that have no limits on the alcohol (like closed during dinner, only open for 5 hours, or "no shots"). People can behave and bartenders can regulate.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 am

Isn't it like a state law to disallow shots at weddings?