Colossal TV Show thread

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu May 09, 2024 7:17 am

I'm sure this will go over well.
A new version of The Office has been picked up at Peacock, though will not be a direct spinoff or reboot of the original series. Instead, it's described as being "set in the same universe" and follows "the documentary crew that immortalized Dunder Mifflin's Scranton branch" who are "in search of a new subject when they discover a dying historic Midwestern newspaper and the publisher trying to revive it with volunteer reporters." Domhnall Gleeson and Sabrina Impacciatore are attached to star.
Concept could be decent. Not sure of the actors picked to star... don't know much about them.

So they basically wanted to do another TV mockumentary and figured the best way to do that was tie it to the most successful TV mockumentary ever...thru the documentary crew? I think it could work as long as they keep the ties/callbacks to the Office at almost non-existent.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 8:03 am

Sounds like The Office but set in Pawnee.

A failing newspaper? Sprinkle in some After Life too.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 09, 2024 8:26 am

Sounds like The Office but set in Pawnee.

A failing newspaper? Sprinkle in some After Life too.
I was going to say sounds like a failing show but after Young Sheldon somehow took off I don’t think I know what good TV is anymore.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu May 09, 2024 8:41 am

Is it just impossible for them to make funny tv without the characters getting to narrate the comedy to the camera?

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 am

Can we just get Kevin Hart to shout the jokes?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 am

Please god no

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2024 8:59 am

I don't see why this wouldn't work. The dude created the American Office and Parks and Rec. I would feel better about it if Michael Schur was involved but I trust Greg Daniels with this sort of material.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu May 09, 2024 9:08 am

It could certainly still be decent. Maybe it's just more IP-fatigue. As of late, the movie business is much more recycled, whereas TV has turned into more of a bastion of originality in comparison, so seeing stuff like this might elicit a bit of a "aw man, you too, TV?" reaction. But I mean, House of the Dragon, Better Call Saul, and uh...Young Sheldon...there's still a market for recent TV spin-off / reboots if the quality is there (or isn't, in the case of YS).

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 am

But this is new IP. It's not a spin-off or reboot. The only thing they're keeping is the documentary conceit. At least there will be a reason for the mockumentary style unlike Parks and Rec and Modern Family. I can't remember Abbott Elementary's first episode but I do think they set up the documentary crew being there to document the school. Though that doesn't explain why the crew follows them around in their personal life...

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu May 09, 2024 9:51 am

Domhnall Gleeson and Sabrina Impacciatore apparently won't be playing Midwesterners...

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu May 09, 2024 9:58 am

But this is new IP. It's not a spin-off or reboot. The only thing they're keeping is the documentary conceit. At least there will be a reason for the mockumentary style unlike Parks and Rec and Modern Family. I can't remember Abbott Elementary's first episode but I do think they set up the documentary crew being there to document the school. Though that doesn't explain why the crew follows them around in their personal life...
Parks and Rec worked because they had funny characters and a great cast.

Modern Family and Abbott are things that can just disappear from existence and no one will notice as far as I'm concerned.

I have no clue if this will work or not, could be great. But the concept is tired, they will need to just do a good job.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 09, 2024 10:01 am

I rewatched Idiocracy with the family last night, great stuff, as always. I am now certain that The Masked Singer is a show that teleported back from 2505. My wife sort of watches it while playing on her phone, and it is soooo moronic.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 am

Parks and Rec worked because they had funny characters and a great cast.

Modern Family and Abbott are things that can just disappear from existence and no one will notice as far as I'm concerned.

I have no clue if this will work or not, could be great. But the concept is tired, they will need to just do a good job.
Right. The writing and characters will make the show, so in Greg Daniels we should trust.I don't get people writing this off because it's a mockumentary. It's just another genre/entry-way into the story/characters. Writing off a new Greg Daniels show because it's a mockumentary is like writing off a new Dick Wolf show because it's about cops.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 am

Writing off a new Greg Daniels show because it's a mockumentary is like writing off a new Dick Wolf show because it's about cops.
But...I do this. :lol:

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 am

Young Sheldon...? Did y'alls vasectomies go a little too far or what...?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 09, 2024 10:14 am

This is weird, because I don't like or watch Young Sheldon, but my niece is a producer and directed a recent episode. /csb

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Thu May 09, 2024 10:17 am

Is there a process to emancipate yourself from a niece...? Alec Baldwin's character would probably do it in a very low stakes remake of My Sister's Keeper if you want...

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2024 10:19 am

My brother and I have very similar tastes and weirdly he was just talking about how good Young Sheldon is. I am skeptical.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 10:20 am

Is there a process to emancipate yourself from a niece...? Alec Baldwin's character would probably do it in a very low stakes remake of My Sister's Keeper if you want...
Just ask Alec if she can do some principal photography for him in New Mexico. The problem should take care of itself.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu May 09, 2024 11:07 am

Writing off a new Greg Daniels show because it's a mockumentary is like writing off a new Dick Wolf show because it's about cops.
But...I do this. :lol:
yeah i thought the same thing lol

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:08 am

Abbott Elementary is a terrific show.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am

Somebody should make a show about a local fire station and the antics that come with being together so often. Maybe make it a comedy by using the Broken Lizard guys. I think that'd be pretty funny.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 11:20 am

That would be so cool.

(Where the **** did Andy go, anyway?)

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:21 am

Source of the post (Where the **** did Andy go, anyway?)
You're going to hate this, but he left due to scheduling conflicts with Loki (he had a minor role in the show). IMO, he was perfect for Tacoma FD, and his 'replacement' was... not.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2024 11:22 am

Ah. I did a cursory search during the season premier and it didn't mention Loki. Well, good for him I guess as it doesn't matter now anyway.