Job and General Employment Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Don't weep for me. I keep offering my wife future employment in her field and it illicits a delightfully scornful stare.

(Hopefully she'll be a physical therapist by the time I'm finished and she'll have left personal injury paraphrasing behind)

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:29 pm

If I could light it, I'd take off 25 pounds. ;) In broad strokes, sit at an angle to the camera, so one shoulder is closer cam than the other. Have the camera slightly above eye level so you're looking a little upward and not smooshing (technical term) your chin down into your neck. Try to push your chin our slightly too, not so much that you look like ET, but a little. If you can short light yourself, (leaving the broad side of your face in slight shadows) that will be the biggest benefit. I'd recommend cropping fairly tight, about mid chest up.
You're the dadhole that shoots those Susan Baierl commercials aren't you?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Don't weep for me. I keep offering my wife future employment in her field and it illicits a delightfully scornful stare.

(Hopefully she'll be a physical therapist by the time I'm finished and she'll have left personal injury paraphrasing behind)
Ugh, I didn't realize that was her field. I gather that's a high burn-out discipline.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 pm

I've never even seen them. You seem to have a thing for this Baierl woman...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:33 pm

She does some medical malpractice and SSI work, but yeah, the bulk of it is PI. It's hard work and she's ready to be done with it. The clients are either insane money grabbers or really nice people going through the worse pain of their lives. It's not a great environment.

The upside is she's really good at handling insurance companies in our own lives. She just won an appeal against Gundersen and saved us a pretty penny on something. She also gets her accident claims handled at a discount which is nice (she's been hit at a stop light twice in the last 5 years).

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:34 pm

So, I have a company that wants me to create a video that details 1) a little about myself, 2) why the company is a good fit and 3) why their client pledge will help this position be more effective.

What are some tips on how to structure this video. I can handle question #3 but I'm always curious as to how to answer 1 and 2. How much or little do I give about myself? Do I give just my professional background or do they want to know some hobbies?

Also, maybe @Hockeynut! can give me some tips on how to film myself being that I'm a big guy. What is the most flattering way for me to film this?

(I'm going to wear a suit.)
Video Example

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Stare at this for :30 every 15 minutes until you yell at her.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:37 pm

If I could light it, I'd take off 25 pounds. ;) In broad strokes, sit at an angle to the camera, so one shoulder is closer cam than the other. Have the camera slightly above eye level so you're looking a little upward and not smooshing (technical term) your chin down into your neck. Try to push your chin our slightly too, not so much that you look like ET, but a little. If you can short light yourself, (leaving the broad side of your face in slight shadows) that will be the biggest benefit. I'd recommend cropping fairly tight, about mid chest up.
You're the dadhole that shoots those Susan Baierl commercials aren't you?
Should I be scared that this was my first thought after reading the 'sit at an angle' bit, too?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:43 pm

A little young for PFIDC, but seems like in tif's wheelhouse.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Meh

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Between her odd poses and that somehow-catchy Day Automotive song, those made up like 90% of the commercials on Pens broadcasts this season.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Also, maybe @Hockeynut! can give me some tips on how to film myself being that I'm a big guy. What is the most flattering way for me to film this?
What about just standing?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Stare at this for :30 every 15 minutes until you yell at her.
You youngsters have no right to complain about seeing a reasonably hot lady slightly more often. Imagine what the life was when you had to listen to neverending commercials of a certain company that was just minutes from the Mall. :twisted:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 pm

Lebanon Church Road, Pittsburgh!

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:36 pm

You can stand. Again though, don't stand straight on, it makes you look wider. The whole "camera adding 10 pounds" thing is true. If standing, stand with your weight on your back foot, not your front. And I still recommend camera slightly higher than eye level. I do believe a closer shot would be better. Apparently they want to see you, and they'll get a better grasp of your personality in a closer shot (definitely no wider than mid waist up) than a full body shot.

Ignore @dodint, he hates me. My advice is gold. ;)

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm learning some bomb ass selfie tips in this thread.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:40 pm

CVS sells selfie sticks for $9.99 should you want to up your game.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:42 pm

You're welcome. ;)

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 pm

You can stand. Again though, don't stand straight on, it makes you look wider. The whole "camera adding 10 pounds" thing is true. If standing, stand with your weight on your back foot, not your front. And I still recommend camera slightly higher than eye level. I do believe a closer shot would be better. Apparently they want to see you, and they'll get a better grasp of your personality in a closer shot (definitely no wider than mid waist up) than a full body shot.

Ignore @dodint, he hates me. My advice is gold. ;)
On the fashion front, keep the suit jacket buttoned so that it makes the "V" down your chest. Make sure your shirt collar and tie knot are proportioned to your face. Heavy men with round faces (like me) benefit from a longer/narrower collar like the ones described in this article: http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/shirt-c ... ound-face/ The tie knot should fill the opening of the collar. You don't want a really small knot. Simple striped ties are well-known for their slimming effect.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:08 pm

I have a second interview this Monday for an analyst position.
I was told in the first interview there "might" be an excel test.
Can any of you advise the best way to prep?
I've done a google search and found a ton of ****...so much it actually is overwhelming.
I'm not sure where to begin, I've seen some classes offered online for like $45, don't know if that's a rip off.

I use excel daily, but for household functions like tracking my workouts and budget.
I do simply addition, subtraction stuff...I don't know how complex this will get.
Any tips or advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Learn pivot tables. They're all the rage right now.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:32 pm

I have a second interview this Monday for an analyst position.
I was told in the first interview there "might" be an excel test.
Can any of you advise the best way to prep?
I've done a google search and found a ton of ****...so much it actually is overwhelming.
I'm not sure where to begin, I've seen some classes offered online for like $45, don't know if that's a rip off.

I use excel daily, but for household functions like tracking my workouts and budget.
I do simply addition, subtraction stuff...I don't know how complex this will get.
Any tips or advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

I would look at common basic excel tasks and then common to complicated tasks specific to the job, basic equations etc.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 am

The VLOOKUP function in Excel could very well be your best friend.

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 am

Vlookup and pivot tables should be adequate i would think. On one interview they were thrilled that i could use pivot tables even though the department didnt use them.