Job and General Employment Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Early afternoon Friday all-hands meeting. It does not sound like lunch is the biggest concern that should surface.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:42 pm

I have a 3rd interview wednesday at a financial company, probably the best opportunity of my life. No pressure.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Rock it, Jet City brah.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 am

:D :fist:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:27 am

I have a 3rd interview wednesday at a financial company, probably the best opportunity of my life. No pressure.
Work to undermine the capitalist regime from within. Good thinking.

Good luck man!

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Had my phone interview Thursday. I think it went mediocre at best. I had an answer for everything and don't think I disqualified myself. I sure hope that is the point of the phone screen, just to make sure you're not lying on your resume. Because I hate phone interviews and can probably knock the in person out of the park.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:32 am

New guy starting today. As good as I am at it, I hate training new people :lol: It doesn't help that my workload is out of control and this guy is merely replacing the girl that "quit" a month ago.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:00 am

Come in this morning and log on to skype... And see the new PM's status is bragging about the Flyers win.

Dis NOT gun b gud.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am

Had a 2 hour seminar this morning on working with people's temperaments. Everyone here has gone through a test to see what their temperament is, and we all have signs at our desk listing what they are. It's the DISC test that determines your temperament. They made sure to hit on the fact that your temperament is not your personality... apparently your personality is built on your temperament or something like that. Anyways, big ole waste of time IMO, but some people seemed to think they got something out of it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:03 am

Come in this morning and log on to skype... And see the new PM's status is bragging about the Flyers win.

Dis NOT gun b gud.
Let them brag. It is the high point of their season, and will dominate conversation through several rounds of April golf.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:36 pm

I don't care about today so much as going forward... The prospect of working with a Flyers fan is not something to look forward to.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 pm

People who brag about their teams at work are jagoffs.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Lots of chirpy Gamecocks fans here this morning. I don't care about basketball, and Clemson beat them earlier in the season anyway. I'm sort of rooting for them, actually. :lol:

On another note, we've started another major fundraising campaign here at my college. Kickoff "parties," email "updates," pins/buttons, banners and other assorted BS. It's unseemly, and f them if I don't get all "rah-rah" when they can't keep my department semi-staffed.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Dis NOT gun b gud.
Let them brag. It is the high point of their season, and will dominate conversation through several rounds of April golf.
I was gonna suggest not mentioning anything, but instead bring up the win sometime in April.

April 10th would be good since it would be the 1st day after the end of the regular season, or around the 13th when the playoffs start.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 am

My coworker just gathered us all together to tell us she gave her notice yesterday. The dominoes are starting to fall. I warned this **** management group in November that everyone was overworked and strung out, and they needed to hire more people to get our requisition loads down. As it stands now, we all have 100 requisitions, and this recruiter has (had) over 125. To add to that, the group she works with requires a lot of extra TLC. She just told my boss last night, it isn't public news yet.

This is an unmitigated disaster in every sense of the word. I am training a new recruiter that just started Monday right now. This cycle is going to continue until they start taking care of their **** people.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 am

My company has been in business since 2009. Before I joined last summer there was only one person who left here for a different job. Come April it will be 2 as one of our technical customer service reps is leaving to be a production manager at a nearby machine shop that we do a good bit of work with. They take care of their employees here, and the very, very low turnover of employees shows it. Best of luck shadrick. Give 'em hell.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 am

so my old lead reached out to me about a week after I was let go from my last position. She was asking how things were going, if I had any lines in the water with a few places, etc. I rattled off a few places where I applied and didn't think anything of it. Here I thought it was because she might have been trying to help me.

The ****ing **** was phishing for job leads and was applying for all of the same things that I had. Low class move on her part. Her number is now blocked and I dumped her from my FB. :D

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:49 am

Dis NOT gun b gud.
Was the game worth 25 points in the standings?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:31 pm

How do you people (you people?) Answer this question: "tell me about yourself".

I can never get out of my own head with that one.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 pm

"I generally prefer to not hang out with anyone, who would ask me that kind of question."

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Pick maybe three or four things about you - hobbies, crazy things you've done, etc - and work up maybe 2-3 minutes worth of talking about those things and why they make you such a special snowflake. That's something you can practice ahead of time, cos that's a kind of general question that gets asked a lot. (Mostly by lazy interviewers)

Or you can plant a version of that question pre-emptively and prepare for it. For example, my ressie has a interests section and it reads: "Cooking, team sports (hockey, motor racing, football, soccer), dogs, cooking, playing guitar, aviation, cooking, history, cooking history, video games, reading non-fiction (cookbooks), photography, and cooking" Every interview I've gotten using that CV ended up going to "Hey, so it seems you like to cook" eventually. Which was the plan.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm not too shabby in sales presentations. From time to time I'm THE reason we win. But man...those intros where you have to talk about yourself. I am trash in a suit.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 pm

I had a conversation today with someone high up in our HR department (but not as high as the awful director). It started with talking about the person giving her notice today, and out of nowhere, she said that if I can find a good opportunity out there that's worth it, don't hesitate to leave because this department is a sinking ship. That's encouraging. :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Time to fix up the resume and look for new employment. Been here almost 2 years, 1 raise in the first 3 months and nothing since. Have only gotten more responsibilities since.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Develop a case for yourself and ask...that is, if you want to remain there...