Job and General Employment Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:09 am

Today my wife gets to go to the school district office to plead her case to take a couple of PTO for our Disney trip.

She has not taken any PTO since 2017, but because the days in question are before and after a long weekend, she needs special permission from HR.

She hates taking time off, and obviously rarely does so. Her previous principal would often grant it without having to go through HR, as my wife does her job and rarely asks for time off unless it's important. but this one is cowardly and doesn't the buck to stop with her. Despite her giving loudmouthed, connected teachers similar approval without involving HR.

Yet another reason why this move will be a good one for us.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:12 am

One would think "I haven't used PTO since 2017 and I'm going to Disney" would be enough of an argument but here we are.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 am

I couldn't imagine working somewhere where I was "scared" to ask for PTO. Especially not taking any PTO in 5 years? WTF????!???! In all honestly it's not even really a request....it's I'm going to take these days off.

Hope things get better for your and your wife that way.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:18 am

Her principal is a coward, and doesn't want to looks soft in front of district administrators. I should note my wife isn't a classroom administrator, more of a curriculum coordinator, so it's not like they have to find a sub or split a class off to other teachers (which other teachers LOATHE).

I'm sure she'll get the days approved, but the fact she has to drive an hour out her way to do so...sucks. The district isn't allowing in person meetings with more than 4 people, going the Zoom route...but it's her and the HR head. So in person it is.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:19 am

Did she tell her job she is leaving yet? And when is is done there?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:24 am

Her cowardly principal knows we're moving, but she signed her intent letter for next year (she had a good reason, but I don't remember it lol) but she will finish out the school year. So she'll be done around Memorial Day.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am

Sounds like your wife is going to get sick around the time of your vacation.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:33 am

I was just thinking... "i wont be here either way. you can plan around it or I'll call you the morning of".

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:54 am

“Hey I won’t be here Friday or Monday. See ya Tuesday!”

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:57 am

Man, coming up on merit increases and I've got a few people that are very much the antiwork type that I believe will leave once they realize they're not getting promoted, or above a 3% raise.

Our company has never ever given really anything about 2.75% and we have a slew of managers, myself included reaching out to HR asking for talking points for people who are coming at us with the "anything not at cost of living increase is a pay cut."

I keep coming back to, well it's not a pay cut, the rate at which you're making doesn't suffice for you, and you should look for other options.

I haven't seen above 3.5% in the six years I've been here, I know the deal, but I'm paid well enough and my bonus is always more than what my target is, so that keeps me happy. People are just incredibly irritable now, so I find myself preparing to be more honest than usual by saying "this is what it is, it's always been this way, and I see the same increase" and I don't feel that's really acceptable as a manager, but blah. These are the things we get zero help from HR from, which continues to perpetuate my negative perception of HR, from a management stand-point.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:00 am

I think you know this but 2.75% being the max possible raise in today's climate is not a good recipe for success imo

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:02 am

Man, coming up on merit increases and I've got a few people that are very much the antiwork type that I believe will leave once they realize they're not getting promoted, or above a 3% raise.

Our company has never ever given really anything about 2.75% and we have a slew of managers, myself included reaching out to HR asking for talking points for people who are coming at us with the "anything not at cost of living increase is a pay cut."

I keep coming back to, well it's not a pay cut, the rate at which you're making doesn't suffice for you, and you should look for other options.

I haven't seen above 3.5% in the six years I've been here, I know the deal, but I'm paid well enough and my bonus is always more than what my target is, so that keeps me happy. People are just incredibly irritable now, so I find myself preparing to be more honest than usual by saying "this is what it is, it's always been this way, and I see the same increase" and I don't feel that's really acceptable as a manager, but blah. These are the things we get zero help from HR from, which continues to perpetuate my negative perception of HR, from a management stand-point.
In what way are they are they antiwork types?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:02 am

It is a pay cut.

Maybe a better talking point would be that in years past the same increase outpaced inflation, but due to a global pandemic, it doesn't happen to keep pace with inflation in this particular year.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:12 am

If you're looking for an excuse to get rid of these people, then you are on the right path, Morkle. If you cannot afford to lose them, better come up with better talking points. Hate to be in your position though, bc it sounds like they are taking care of management but not the workers (even the ones that aren't anti-work, it seems).

Pretty sure it's the same MO where I work. Tons of non-management types leaving, but all the managers and above have stayed. Poor way to operate a business, IMO

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:21 am

Yeah It is absolutely a paycut. There is no way around that. I don't envy being in Morkle's position, but it is 1000% a paycut.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:24 am

Our raises aren't across the board (team gets a range, which is split up), but I got a 3% raise this year - largest raise in 3-4 years.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:33 am

My boss flat out told me he's trying to get me promoted this year which will come with a ~10% increase but I need another 'feather in my cap' by the end of February. Which is fine but it's also frustrating because I feel whatever I do will just be promotion fodder and not serve the greater good. but, whatever, if it's what I have to do for a nice bump, so be it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:54 am

So anti-work was the wrong word to use. Let's say they're hyper aware of certain issues that I think are more towards themselves, rather than the company position. As a manager - I have to do my best to support their needs, AND the companies and those two often conflict drastically.
I think you know this but 2.75% being the max possible raise in today's climate is not a good recipe for success imo
Oh I agree - It's been this percentage increase for the 7+ years I've been here. Everyone knows the percentages are low, and for the most part everyone deals with them. The climate this year - is what has me fearing that won't be the case and I'm going to lose good people over it.
Maybe a better talking point would be that in years past the same increase outpaced inflation, but due to a global pandemic, it doesn't happen to keep pace with inflation in this particular year.
Politically speaking, this it the route I'm going to take - but like I said above, it's been the same percentage raise for literal years. BUT everyone on my team is bonus eligible, and are receiving larger than substantial bonuses as well. I will couple this with while the paycheck-per-paycheck rate is low, I've never not been given more of a bonus than was negotiated at the time I came on.
If you're looking for an excuse to get rid of these people, then you are on the right path, Morkle. If you cannot afford to lose them, better come up with better talking points. Hate to be in your position though, bc it sounds like they are taking care of management but not the workers (even the ones that aren't anti-work, it seems).
Yea, I'm not trying to get rid of anyone. I'm just trying to prepare for the eventuality that these less than desirable raises for this climate are going to impact my team/me more than anything. HR hasn't changed stances in any of this - and they pretty much don't care to help. Thankfully, everyone is bonus eligible and getting more than expected by a decent amount (10-25%)
Yeah It is absolutely a paycut. There is no way around that. I don't envy being in Morkle's position, but it is 1000% a paycut.
From a percentage stand-point, I agree. My only saving grace is that I think everyone on my team, is getting a bonus that off-sets that COL gap by 4-5% - BUT I don't know if anyone would see it that way, and would prefer to just have it week to week, rather than an end of year extra bonus on top of their negotiated bonus.

I don't know, I get to feel the wrath of these folks who do good work, and as much as I fight for them, this is basically all pre-ordained by HR and the structures they give us. It's probably the one position where I have little room to breathe.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:00 am

So anti-work was the wrong word to use. Let's say they're hyper aware of certain issues that I think are more towards themselves, rather than the company position. As a manager - I have to do my best to support their needs, AND the companies and those two often conflict drastically.
Oh I agree - It's been this percentage increase for the 7+ years I've been here. Everyone knows the percentages are low, and for the most part everyone deals with them. The climate this year - is what has me fearing that won't be the case and I'm going to lose good people over it.
Politically speaking, this it the route I'm going to take - but like I said above, it's been the same percentage raise for literal years. BUT everyone on my team is bonus eligible, and are receiving larger than substantial bonuses as well. I will couple this with while the paycheck-per-paycheck rate is low, I've never not been given more of a bonus than was negotiated at the time I came on.
Yea, I'm not trying to get rid of anyone. I'm just trying to prepare for the eventuality that these less than desirable raises for this climate are going to impact my team/me more than anything. HR hasn't changed stances in any of this - and they pretty much don't care to help. Thankfully, everyone is bonus eligible and getting more than expected by a decent amount (10-25%)
From a percentage stand-point, I agree. My only saving grace is that I think everyone on my team, is getting a bonus that off-sets that COL gap by 4-5% - BUT I don't know if anyone would see it that way, and would prefer to just have it week to week, rather than an end of year extra bonus on top of their negotiated bonus.

I don't know, I get to feel the wrath of these folks who do good work, and as much as I fight for them, this is basically all pre-ordained by HR and the structures they give us. It's probably the one position where I have little room to breathe.
The bolded part I get and is why I don't necessarily blame my immediate manager. Alot of the stuff is above his head. I know he fights the good fight for our team the best he can, but his hands are tied.

We also get a pretty large bonus (normally) that offsets the annual raise, but I tell my boss I don't envy the position he is in having a team of 15-20 different individuals over 2 teams that he has to have individual conversations with about things he has little or no control over of.

I could go to another company and probably make more money in my role. I stay with my company because of the work life balance and because my immediate manager is a great guy who doesn't micromanage things and lets us do what we need to do. He is the best boss/manager I've ever had. He knows our team gets our **** done and its done right so he leaves us alone.

I'm afraid of giving that up going somewhere else even if I make 10-15% more a year.
Last edited by skullman80 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am

the skullman makes a good point. a "good" employee that you may lose wont blame you. they will blame the man

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am

Yea, when I say 2.75% raise. This isn't me going out of my way to give these people crap wages. I myself get that same raise as everyone else. I work as hard as I can to make sure the right people get above 3%. But I'm given like x amount of dollars to deal with and it sucks. The problem here, imo - is they want us to rank and file against each other. So one person doing a great job deserving of a 5% raise, means 3 other people are making less than the usual 2.75%. Really isn't right, imo.

This is more me trying to deal with people to provide them the best support I can and keeping the business going, because I have to pay attention to that side of the house too.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:06 am

Not an envious position to be in, Morkle. I do wonder how many companies see this increase in inflation as a one-time blip in the radar, and are holding on to the hope that it may dip back down. They may be worried that if they give out 5% raises across the board, they have to cut payroll in future years if things aren't as bright.

But in my opinion, companies have been living high on the hog getting away with COL raises in years past. The ones that benefit are the shareholders, so it's a very small percentage of people benefiting. Which makes it even more frustrating.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:08 am

I will also say that I stay for the main reasons why Skullman stays. I WFH full-time, I have a great team that does good work, I've never felt wronged by the company even with low raises, because my bonuses allow us to do good stuff. My boss is great.

I know for sure - leaving this company, I could get a 25-40% raise increase, but all the extras are too much to risk. I'm very comfortable where I am.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:10 am

Not an envious position to be in, Morkle. I do wonder how many companies see this increase in inflation as a one-time blip in the radar, and are holding on to the hope that it may dip back down. They may be worried that if they give out 5% raises across the board, they have to cut payroll in future years if things aren't as bright.

But in my opinion, companies have been living high on the hog getting away with COL raises in years past. The ones that benefit are the shareholders, so it's a very small percentage of people benefiting. Which makes it even more frustrating.
Absolutely, I would say the company I work for is massive, and fared VERY well through the pandemic - and they've paid us repeated bonuses randomly throughout the past two years (extra paycheck here and there). Money hasn't ever been an issue here - but I find this year to be truly disrespectful given we've been making money hand over fist.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 am

This is why I really like government work. It can be frustrating in its own way, but stuff like pay is completely transparent and uniform. These kind of discussions don't happen in my workspace. About the only thing comparable would be performance bonuses but even that has been pretty fair.
I'm kind of terrified of the idea of going private sector, and since I'm already making six figures why would I bother?

Every so often some fedgov employee pokes their head into r/antiwork and mentions that we have transparent salaries, regular raises, very detailed job descriptions and performance criteria, benefits, paid time off and sick leave, etc. It's basically everything they want, you just have to work for 'the man' to do it (and also not use drugs).

I feel like, in a lot of ways, by going military and parlaying that into fedgov work I'm in my 30s but living the boomer life that young people hate. I make a living wage, own a home, have hobbies have low student loan debt, WFH, etc. I look at antiwork and see people complaining that employers are treating them badly and they're not making $25/hr working retail and I have a hard time comprehending why they'd settle for that.