Health and Fitness

grunthy

Health and Fitness

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:20 pm

I ran 2 miles on the treadmill under my goal time. Woooooaaaaahhhhhh!

20 minutes per mile? :pop:

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:21 pm

I do not run.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I need to run at some point this week just to mentally remind myself that I can do a 5k before Saturday morning. Blah. 15-20 miles on the bike every day.. no big deal. Running at all though.. mentally I just hate it for some reason.
I'm planning on doing the Lemieux 6.6 in October. Treadmill running is great for building up stamina and all but it doesn't use the same muscles as road running. I'm going to start running at North Park once a week to shock those muscles out of slumber.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 pm

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... SHyXo.link

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:29 pm

I need to run at some point this week just to mentally remind myself that I can do a 5k before Saturday morning. Blah. 15-20 miles on the bike every day.. no big deal. Running at all though.. mentally I just hate it for some reason.
I'm planning on doing the Lemieux 6.6 in October. Treadmill running is great for building up stamina and all but it doesn't use the same muscles as road running. I'm going to start running at North Park once a week to shock those muscles out of slumber.
I will probably do that too. I think i missed the early registration though. Road running is def diff then tread mill running. The Pirates 5k I was much more motivated once I actually got down there and was with everyone else. It made it way less miserable. I signed up for this 5k right after that one when I was like oh I like doing this.. then I realized.. I hate doing this when I got the reminder a few weeks back.

MR25

Health and Fitness

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:30 pm

I had a dek and ice hockey game last night. We only had 6 for ice. Was tired/hyped on adrenaline to the point that it was painful to close my eyes in an attempt to sleep.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:08 pm

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... SHyXo.link
Didn't you say you were up to close to 300 the other day? That's a damn impressive time over 2 miles at that weight. Hell, a lot of out-of-shape skinny people couldn't run 2 miles in 17 min :thumb:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Yeah, was 291 for that run yesterday.

It's treadmill running so if I were outside that time would be closer to 20:00, but yeah, thanks. I was trying to break 16 but started too fast and had to walk about a tenth of a mile and blew my time away. Oh well. I have been running two miles without stopping but I started at a more manageable pace.

I used to be able to run that pace for 13+ miles no problem but I'm out of shape. I understand nobody was just kidding and that's fine, but I used to be a legit runner and I miss it a lot. I still have it in me, I"m just carrying around 70 more pounds and it's hard on everything.

If all goes well I'll be ready for an early summer half marathon next year. It's my favorite distance.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:38 am

I need to get my ass in gear and start training for my half in Vegas (which coincidentally I just got a hotels.com email) and also my 400m climb in exactly two months from today.

My foot - or more specifically, my toe - still isn't 100%, so any type of distance has sucked for me. I did 5 miles on Friday and 7 on Saturday, but both of those were mixed run/walk. Cardio was mostly fine, but I still get pain in my big toe once I get past 20 minutes.

One side of me wants to rest it more, but I'm within 60 days of one event and am nowhere near the distance on the other. But if I rest it, then there's no way I'm gonna finish either event with a semi respectable time.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 am

That's agony. When I was marathon training I did a lot of intense cycling to try and keep the cardio up and give my joints a chance to rest. I had torn a meniscus the year before and really didn't want to do it again. There is no substitute for running though, which makes it a bit frustrating.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am

my SO started Whole 30 yesterday. pray for me...... ;)

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:45 am

I ran a mile yesterday (treadmill) for the first time in many years as a warm-up before my workout...I am very much not a runner...that said, the worst thing about it was that ESPN was on the TV...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:03 pm

"North Park is flat."

A lie my wife told me. Deep in my heart I knew it was a lie, but I wanted to believe.

MR25

Health and Fitness

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 pm

It's flat if you're going around the lake, but yeah... that is not correct.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 am

Yeah. We basically pulled into that main lot to the left near the football field at the beginning and ran from there. I'm going to go back up and see what might be flatter. On our way out we noticed the road over the bridge (dam?) and figure that's going to be our best bet. My wife runs the 5mi loop with a friend of ours a few times a week but I'm still at 2 miles so I can be more selective for now.
On GMaps the North Park Pool/ball fields looks relatively flat, might have a run up there this weekend and to check it out. Looking at it on GMaps 3D it looks like the run would have flat sections with down/up hill connectors. Like a series of plateus.

I know some of us use myFitnessPal. Does anyone pay for it? I don't, but was wondering if it was worth it. I'm not into tracking the macro-nutrient stuff or anything. One thing I do miss is the ability to save your food by time of day instead of meal, not sure if paying unlocks that.
I do need to find something to replace the Livestrong Loops that actually worked very well. It allowed you to map your run on a GMaps API so you could know the distance, elevation change, etc. I might try MapMyFitness from MFP, but I'm not certain it's what I'm looking for.

I'm "dodint" on MFP if anyone wants to add me, I've been enjoying skullman's updates on there.

Silentom

Health and Fitness

Postby Silentom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am

It's nice and shady in some spots up by the ball fields, too.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am

A friend of mine says they have nice trails, a few of which I spotted on GMaps.

One thing I really miss about living at the beach, and to some extent the midwest, is that I could run anywhere I wanted. I had dozens of routes from 2 to 12 miles and rarely had to run the same place more than a few times a month. This hunting for places to run is lame, and not being able to run in my neighborhood at all is awful.

Morkle

Health and Fitness

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 am

"North Park is flat."

A lie my wife told me. Deep in my heart I knew it was a lie, but I wanted to believe.
My wife has lived here her entire life. When we first started dating - I got the "North Park isn't that big to walk around." So for my birthday we decided to do a quick walk around, around mile 3 is when I started getting annoyed because I was wearing jeans and it was like 90 degrees. Planned to do a quick "walk" before my birthday dinner. Ended up just getting take out and going home.

That started the, I'm gonna Google a lot of what you tell me when it comes to map size and directions for the remained of our relationship.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:58 am

:lol:

When I got there and saw what was up I told her she's not calibrated like a normal human being, she has to up the sensitivity for us normals. We all weren't captains of our college running team. To her, to be called a hill, it needs to be something like Hostetter.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 am

Ridge drive around pie traynor is relatively flat. there are hills but they are not super steep, more rolling

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am

Yeah. We basically pulled into that main lot to the left near the football field at the beginning and ran from there. I'm going to go back up and see what might be flatter. On our way out we noticed the road over the bridge (dam?) and figure that's going to be our best bet. My wife runs the 5mi loop with a friend of ours a few times a week but I'm still at 2 miles so I can be more selective for now.
On GMaps the North Park Pool/ball fields looks relatively flat, might have a run up there this weekend and to check it out. Looking at it on GMaps 3D it looks like the run would have flat sections with down/up hill connectors. Like a series of plateus.

I know some of us use myFitnessPal. Does anyone pay for it? I don't, but was wondering if it was worth it. I'm not into tracking the macro-nutrient stuff or anything. One thing I do miss is the ability to save your food by time of day instead of meal, not sure if paying unlocks that.
I do need to find something to replace the Livestrong Loops that actually worked very well. It allowed you to map your run on a GMaps API so you could know the distance, elevation change, etc. I might try MapMyFitness from MFP, but I'm not certain it's what I'm looking for.

I'm "dodint" on MFP if anyone wants to add me, I've been enjoying skullman's updates on there.
I don't think the pay version of MFP is worth it, but JMO.

My updates.. haha. My eating has been bad the last little bit. Workouts have made up for it. That 5k I'm running tomorrow is going to suck ass.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:37 am

re: MFP; you can go to diary settings and change the meal name settings. You get up to six blocks. Now instead of Breakfast, Lunch, etc. I have "Before 11am, 11am-2pm, 2pm-5pm..." That's about as close as I'll get I think.

My mind and body work together to screw with me, I think. It's always been this way when I lose weight. I get to some (arbitrary) barrier, usually the next 10lbs down (290, 280, 270, etc) and just can't crack down into the next tier. My last nine days of weight data:

It's just maddening, honestly. I'm still ahead of the progress I've charted for myself in every measurable way, but mentally the fact that I wasn't 289.8 this morning is completely maddening. Went to bed last night really thinking I had it locked up this morning, scale even flashed 289.8 for a moment. Argh.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:49 am

Unrelated...I'm pushing 160 for the first time in my life...it's a good 160, not a "I eat too much Cinnabon" 160...this is the first time I've actually been able to put on some weight and keep it in the 13ish years since I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease (for perspective, when I was at my absolutely sickest when I was 17, 18, 19 or so...I had dipped under 120 lbs...those were dark days)...

Silentom

Health and Fitness

Postby Silentom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 am

Damn, dude, that's really young to have to go through that. I have a buddy that had ulcerative colitis, but he was in his late thirties at the time. His got really bad, and he ended up having his colon removed - but was much better off for it.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 am

Yeah, I've had like three surgeries I think...but I've been on the up-and-up for most of the last few years by keeping a pretty simple diet...I'm finally able to eat enough (and keep it) and put on some good weight...