Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:34 pm

Finally started strength training today. Did a stack of Pilates, Barre, and Strength. Not sold on Barre but by the time I was done with all three I was pretty worn out. I haven't done any strength training since I blew up my calf/achilles in June of 2022. Hopefully, this goes better; I figure it will since I'm doing a more functional fitness and toning program and not freeweights to failure.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:08 am

Finally started strength training today. Did a stack of Pilates, Barre, and Strength. Not sold on Barre but by the time I was done with all three I was pretty worn out. I haven't done any strength training since I blew up my calf/achilles in June of 2022. Hopefully, this goes better; I figure it will since I'm doing a more functional fitness and toning program and not freeweights to failure.
Good stuff! I wish I would have started sooner.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:12 am

Ran a 5k this morning, while my daughter did the one mile fun run. Finished in 22:40, which was good for 3rd in my age group. Actually set a fastest mile time of 6:49...only problem was this was the first mile so I was hurting for the remainder :lol:

I'm pretty sure 3/4 of the males that finished in front of me were Amish. Some Amish boy that looked like he was around six finished the fun run in like 6:45.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:15 am

Hah, that first mile adrenaline is something. Glad you both got out there and had fun.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 am

Hah, that first mile adrenaline is something. Glad you both got out there and had fun.

Hard to resist trying to keep up in the beginning, no doubt

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu May 02, 2024 10:55 am

Shaf, do you take a lot of Ash Pryor classes?
Her specialty is rowing, so maybe not. :pop:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue May 07, 2024 9:54 am

Ran a 5k this morning, while my daughter did the one mile fun run. Finished in 22:40, which was good for 3rd in my age group. Actually set a fastest mile time of 6:49...only problem was this was the first mile so I was hurting for the remainder :lol:

I'm pretty sure 3/4 of the males that finished in front of me were Amish. Some Amish boy that looked like he was around six finished the fun run in like 6:45.
Were they running in traditional clothes?

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/201 ... 302503007/

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue May 07, 2024 11:13 am

So last night I did something that I had not done since the early 90s: I skated an indoor skatepark. Surprisingly, I finished the night without any injuries.

There's a park in Swissvale that has a 40+ night and has a limited number of spots available. I drove across town and figured I'd check it out. The dude behind the counter was very welcoming and had equipment ready to go to hand out to people who wanted to try it out. Of course I took advantage of that. I'm old and know I don't rebound as quick as what I did back then. Knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guard, and a helmet... oh, and a board too.

Could I do anything that I could do in the early 90s? Of course not. Even after my first few rides where I would approach the quarter and would panic, I started to question if this was something I should even be doing. But by the end of the night, I was almost grinding the 4 ft quarter and was able to carve the one half bowl. Even if it was just cruising around the park and repeating the same line over and over, which seemed like there were a lot of people that were doing that, it was fun just to be skating again even if it was for only an hour+.

That said, I'm paying for it today. The calf cramp that I had last night is still there, and ibuprofen hasn't done a thing for the general soreness.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue May 07, 2024 11:16 am

Very cool. I couldn't do it back then and admire you picking it up again over 40.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pm

Were they running in traditional clothes?

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/201 ... 302503007/
Yep. Suspenders and all

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pm

Very cool. I couldn't do it back then and admire you picking it up again over 40.
Agreed, that takes confidence :thumb:

iamjs

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue May 07, 2024 1:42 pm

Very cool. I couldn't do it back then and admire you picking it up again over 50.
FTFY :lol:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue May 07, 2024 1:44 pm

Even better. :lol:

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 08, 2024 8:51 am

looking at adding a protein drink to my mornings. a friend gave me some Vega protein powder to try and while the taste is good, I feel it's a bit....sandy and I'm not sure that I can get used to that. I'd like to keep calories low and anything I drink has to NOT have sucralose in it as it reacts to one of my meds and causes kidney stones. stevia is ok.
tips? suggestions?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am

I have the same issue. I'd like to work a protein supplement into my routine but I don't want to spend calories on it. Kind of like a diet energy drink. ;)

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 am

My wife wants a treadmill now....and I'm trying to decide if its worth it to pay 3k for a Peloton one. I feel if we cheap out we are just going to get what we pay for, but I'm clueless on treadmills overall.

Beveridge

Health and Fitness

Postby Beveridge » Wed May 08, 2024 9:25 am

I've had a boflex for a couple years and have been happy with it.

https://www.bowflex.com/product/treadmi ... 00909.html
https://www.bowflex.com/product/treadmi ... 00910.html

I ended up getting the 10 because the extra price for the 5% incline and bigger screen wasn't worth it.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2024 9:38 am

My wife wants a treadmill now....and I'm trying to decide if its worth it to pay 3k for a Peloton one. I feel if we cheap out we are just going to get what we pay for, but I'm clueless on treadmills overall.
I REALLY wanted the old treadmill, the kid killer edition. The one they sell now looks a lot more flimsy in comparison. Which tracks because the build quality of the Bike+ isn't amazing either. I'm spoiled though, we bought a commercial-grade treadmill from a gym and I loved that thing. Unfortunately, the circuit board eventually went bad and we had to get rid of it. Now we just run outside like plebes.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 am

I make smoothies a couple of days a week (although I am on a no carb diet right now, which includes no or not much fruit. 18 lbs down in 5 weeks, but I'm missing peak local strawberry season, boo).

I use 10-12 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, frozen blueberries/strawberries, peanut butter powder (1 scoop), Garden of Life vanilla protein powder (1 scoop), and about 5 drops of Trader Joe's stevia. Play with the fruit amounts to get the consistency you want. I usually make a double batch for my wife and I in a blender, but I bought a small Ninja cup blender to make single batches. You unscrew the blade attachment and put on the cap/lid and out the door you go.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:43 am

I've had a boflex for a couple years and have been happy with it.

https://www.bowflex.com/product/treadmi ... 00909.html
https://www.bowflex.com/product/treadmi ... 00910.html

I ended up getting the 10 because the extra price for the 5% incline and bigger screen wasn't worth it.
Will take a look at those. :thumb:

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 am

I REALLY wanted the old treadmill, the kid killer edition. The one they sell now looks a lot more flimsy in comparison. Which tracks because the build quality of the Bike+ isn't amazing either. I'm spoiled though, we bought a commercial-grade treadmill from a gym and I loved that thing. Unfortunately, the circuit board eventually went bad and we had to get rid of it. Now we just run outside like plebes.
My bike from early 2022(I think) is still going strong with over 1000 rides on it. It's not the bike+ though. I've haven't done much other than wipe it down after every ride and tighten things from time to time and *knock on wood* it's been rock solid. I also finally just paid it off cause it was 24 months no interest or whatever. The treadmill is only 12 months at 0% and like 300$ off right now, but still easy enough to pay off in that time. Could also buy it off amazon and get 5% back there too I guess.

I dunno....I'm not much of a treadmill guy. I hate doing it at the gym, but I'd probably use it more at home. I'm more of a go for a long walk in the morning kind of guy at this point in my life lol. She hates riding the bike though and only does it cause she feels she needs to do something most days. She would much rather run on the treadmill so it's more for her than me.

She will balk at paying that much for one so if I do get it I'll just order it myself and say well it's here so you have to use it :lol: :lol:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 am

My Bike+, other than having a bearing replaced under warranty, hasn't had any functional issues that have prevented me from using it. But the build quality is a little suspect for the premium we pay for it. Specifically, the monitor mount/handlebar assembly is very wobbly and it bothers me every time I sit on the bike (and then I immediately forget).

I'm making my last payment this month, we bought it in '21.

I love treadmill running. And if I were to buy a treadmill it would likely be a Peloton since I'm already in that system. But being a bigger guy I'm not sure I'd trust it without a warranty. I'm sure my wife would do fine. I checked online and the Tread and Tread+ have the same max weight of 300lbs. I'm at 270+. Also for some reason they have a maximum height of 6'4" which is what I'm at as well, though I don't really understand that limitation.

Beveridge

Health and Fitness

Postby Beveridge » Wed May 08, 2024 10:01 am

Also for some reason they have a maximum height of 6'4" which is what I'm at as well, though I don't really understand that limitation.
Don't want you to hit the tree limbs....

Going to guess most ceiling to floor is ~8 feet, so they have to put something in there to not get sued by someone that bounces and puts a hole in the ceiling. :lol:

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Wed May 08, 2024 11:10 am

I think I'm dealing with an intercostal muscle strain...seems to pop up after any type of workout at this point. Pretty annoying. Any experience with this?

I feel it mid-left side of my back around the rib area. It was really pronounced a couple weeks ago, like, a little tough to take a deep breath. Then a day later, maybe two, it was gone completely. I thought, "hmm, maybe a lat thing..." as I had just done a back workout. Then after it felt good, I did a chest workout...felt a similar discomfort again. Yesterday I did a fairly low-end leg day, and several hours later started to feel the back tightness creep in. This morning, I can move and breathe...but I feel some discomfort back there. So I'm thinking this is a rib thing...and most of what I read online is just "haha, nothing you can do about this, asswipe..."

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2024 11:25 am

I've got a knot, for lack of a better word, between my right hip and lower right rib cage. My wife is a PTA and can get in there and stimulate it a bit to offer some slight relief, but it's really tough to get to or stretch. It brings pain with any kind of rotation of the trunk.
The proximate cause has been the repeated lifting and carrying of my 62lb dog. The ultimate solution is to euthanize the dog.