NFL

Talk about anything non-hockey related.
RonnieFranchise

NFL

Post by RonnieFranchise »

Rumor has it he’d like to be reunited with former LSU Teammate Jayden Daniels.

And by rumor, he said that.
MrKennethTKangaroo

NFL

Post by MrKennethTKangaroo »

ACTUALLY
they were teammates at Arizona state
Troy Loney

NFL

Post by Troy Loney »

Tua getting 50+mm

San Fran hands tied now with purdy
MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I can’t imagine how giving Tua that much will be worth it. I feel like there’s a growing QB bubble that’s going to explode on these teams. At least Purdy has looked better than Tua
shafnutz05

NFL

Post by shafnutz05 »

And Jordan Love gets four years, $220 million.
faftorial

NFL

Post by faftorial »

Crazy.

Bring back those 90% marginal tax rates.
Orlando Penguin

NFL

Post by Orlando Penguin »

Used to, you had to prove yourself to get paid top dollar at your position. Now, it's just be next in line to get extended. Pretty gross and I root for nothing but failure, especially from Love.
NTP66

NFL

Post by NTP66 »

Sophie's Choice in 2024.

skullman80

NFL

Post by skullman80 »

I'd rather him stay, but if he wants to go to football purgatory over a few million dollars...be my guest I guess? No matter what the 49ers will not get what he's worth at this point in the offseason so that is their own dumb fault.

Maybe this is a last ditch effort by the FO to say hey these are the two offers we have, if you don't like it...then either sit out or play out the last year of your deal, but probably not.
Troy Loney

NFL

Post by Troy Loney »

Now is probably the worst time to be negotiating a contract with a wide receiver. I guess the only mistake was not getting something done before last year.
DigitalGypsy66

NFL

Post by DigitalGypsy66 »

I saw a reasonable take on this from one of the Steelers' beat writers. Aiyuk listed two teams he wanted to play for: Steelers and Commanders. The Niners won't trade him (likely) within the NFC, so the Steelers are his only takers. This framework was likely leaked to force Khan's hand in giving up more to acquire Aiyuk. Take all of that with a grain or pillar of salt, but that sounds reasonable. Still doesn't mean he'll end up a Steeler though.
NTP66

NFL

Post by NTP66 »

In Khan We Trust
mikey
Location: We got problems, that's for sure. Clean up the backyard, don't lock the door

NFL

Post by mikey »

I thought I saw some Pittsburgh people saying he was being traded to Pittsburgh yesterday...guess that was fake news...
Troy Loney

NFL

Post by Troy Loney »

It was 100% fake news.
nocera

NFL

Post by nocera »

Well it was Fillipponi so if you believed it that's kinda on you.
dodint

NFL

Post by dodint »

They did their own research.
mikey
Location: We got problems, that's for sure. Clean up the backyard, don't lock the door

NFL

Post by mikey »

I don't know who most people are in Pittsburgh sports media, sometimes Pittsburgh related stuff gets pushed to my timeline...sometimes it's stuff that sucks, like this...sometimes it's stuff that rules, like Pittsburgh Police Scanner...
MR25

NFL

Post by MR25 »

I feel like Filipponi has been posted and ridiculed enough in the Pens section that his name would've been hate-engraved into your brain lol
genoscoif

NFL

Post by genoscoif »

DigitalGypsy66 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:12 am I saw a reasonable take on this from one of the Steelers' beat writers. Aiyuk listed two teams he wanted to play for: Steelers and Commanders. The Niners won't trade him (likely) within the NFC, so the Steelers are his only takers. This framework was likely leaked to force Khan's hand in giving up more to acquire Aiyuk. Take all of that with a grain or pillar of salt, but that sounds reasonable. Still doesn't mean he'll end up a Steeler though.
Posted this in the Steelers thread but probably belongs in here...

Gotta wonder a bit if this is some gamesmanship on behalf of the 49ers. If I'm reading that article correctly, the team rejected the Steelers offer, but I'd think every team's offer would be fairly similar in quality. So the 49ers reject the offer from a team that Aiyuk 'likes' and gives him the Patriots (lol) and Browns (lol) to decide between......or he can just stay home and play in SF under his current contract.
dodint

NFL

Post by dodint »

MR25 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:49 am I feel like Filipponi has been posted and ridiculed enough in the Pens section that his name would've been hate-engraved into your brain lol
You're thinking of Rossi.
MR25

NFL

Post by MR25 »

dodint wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:52 am
MR25 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:49 am I feel like Filipponi has been posted and ridiculed enough in the Pens section that his name would've been hate-engraved into your brain lol
You're thinking of Rossi.

I mean, both are, to be fair
Troy Loney

NFL

Post by Troy Loney »

genoscoif wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:50 am
DigitalGypsy66 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:12 am I saw a reasonable take on this from one of the Steelers' beat writers. Aiyuk listed two teams he wanted to play for: Steelers and Commanders. The Niners won't trade him (likely) within the NFC, so the Steelers are his only takers. This framework was likely leaked to force Khan's hand in giving up more to acquire Aiyuk. Take all of that with a grain or pillar of salt, but that sounds reasonable. Still doesn't mean he'll end up a Steeler though.
Posted this in the Steelers thread but probably belongs in here...

Gotta wonder a bit if this is some gamesmanship on behalf of the 49ers. If I'm reading that article correctly, the team rejected the Steelers offer, but I'd think every team's offer would be fairly similar in quality. So the 49ers reject the offer from a team that Aiyuk 'likes' and gives him the Patriots (lol) and Browns (lol) to decide between......or he can just stay home and play in SF under his current contract.
Niners should have had him in at the 28-30mm number a while ago.

No team is going to trade for him without a contract agreement in place, and teams are not going to want to give up a lot of draft capital and a big contract. So I think they are overplaying their hand on the return demands (the longer this goes on, the harder it will be to keep that high return demand).

And couple that with Aiyuk being picky on who he'll sign with. Feels like Khan is playing this like he did with Fields, staying interested, but leveraging the player's desire to lower the trade cost.
mikey

NFL

Post by mikey »

Yeah, I know Rossi is a dud. I've only heard that name Fillipponi before, I have no real word association with him. I feel like the Aiyuk to Pittsburgh thing has been talked about for months, is it just Steelers fans trying to speak something into existence...?
the wicked child

NFL

Post by the wicked child »

mikey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:30 am Yeah, I know Rossi is a dud. I've only heard that name Fillipponi before, I have no real word association with him. I feel like the Aiyuk to Pittsburgh thing has been talked about for months, is it just Steelers fans trying to speak something into existence...?
Iirc, it started with Aiyuk tweeting at Tomlin.
genoscoif

NFL

Post by genoscoif »

mikey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:30 am Yeah, I know Rossi is a dud. I've only heard that name Fillipponi before, I have no real word association with him. I feel like the Aiyuk to Pittsburgh thing has been talked about for months, is it just Steelers fans trying to speak something into existence...?
I think there is interest from both sides (the Steelers and Aiyuk). Not sure SF is super excited about it, and probably feels a bit salty toward the entire process, so they may be putting on a face of 'look, we're doing what you wanted' without actually doing what he wants. The other way to look at it is they are being extremely savvy, knowing the interest exists and attempting to drive up the price for the Steelers. Think is, I don't think Khan is one of those guys that going to deviate to 'overpay', so.....yeah.