Does anybody have experience with running webinars?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

Despite offering big $$s to STUDY in our PhD program, I have been increasingly frustrated with the declining quality of the (mostly American) pool of our applicants. So I decided to give a seminar about what it takes to get into and succeed in a US-based Finance PhD program to some Czech students/young professionals. My colleagues will likely do the same for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Russia, and, naturally, the US.

I basically need a (hopefully free) environment where people can log in from Prague, see me (presenting in Fayetteville) AND my powerpoints (hopefully through split screen or picture-in-picture), AND can send me their questions during the live broadcast.

Does anybody have any recommendations for what I should use to satisfy the above conditions?

Thanks!!

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 am

I'll study in your PhD program. How much $$$ we talkin here?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

What are the math requirements?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am

In addition to already being a graduate of an SEC school, I would like to reinforce my qualifications by directing you to this post (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55&p=545721&hilit=NCFQBG#p545721), which details my cutting edge work on the NCFQBG formula.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 am

I'll study in your PhD program. How much $$$ we talkin here?
The typical base stipend given at US Finance PhD program starts around $17,000-$20,000. BUT - based on the high qualification of the applicant (high GPA from a quality school, high GMAT, *AND* the assessment of the admission committee that the applicant has high potential), there are some substantial add-ons to that number. I'd say that a typical PhD student in a quality PhD program will most likely average between $25,000 and $30,000. We (Arkansas) actually can pay even more to highly qualified US citizen...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 am

Tomas, you're at Arkansas right?

Ok, that was answered.

My GMAT was 650 and my Mom's cousin used to run the Geology Department at Arkansas. So i'm legacy,

When can I start?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:39 am

Does anybody have any recommendations for what I should use to satisfy the above conditions?

Thanks!!
Sounds too easy, but I have done this with Youtube Live (used to be Hangouts on Air) while doing work for my Masters.

Here is a fairly thorough article about how to use it for a webinar, and it seems to meet all of your requirements: http://digitaldeepak.com/how-to-host-we ... tube-live/

Oh, and it's free. Infinite ROI, right?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

What are the math requirements?
I have a tough deadline today, so just very briefly.

There is a hard requirement of high GMAT (think north of 650, but most likely north of 700). Personally I think GMAT is a stupid, stupid test, but it's a hard condition for some of the stipends, so...).

FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY, the ideal candidate should have very good knowledge in 4 areas:

1) Statistical analysis and math in general: Yes, PhD students will take advanced courses in Econometrics, but any prior knowledge of that stuff is a huge plus. If you apply to a program where theoretical research is a big thing (not us, we are very empirically driven), then nobody will teach you the math necessary to build all the models - so you'd need all that info before you start.

2) Economics: Once again, courses in Economics will be offered, but any prior knowledge of that stuff is a huge plus.

3) Finance: Surprisingly, that's the LEAST important STARTING knowledge - but I at least want to see that the candidates know what they would like to study (my typical question during interviews is "Give me the title of your dissertation today, and tell me why I should care about it." )

4) Statistical programming: That one is important - NOBODY will teach that in the PhD program, but it's totally expected that by the end of the 1st semester, students will educate themselves in SAS or STATA. Preferably both...

In other words, a good starting education for a Finance PhD applicant is anything-math, or Master in Econ, or Master in Finance. MBA really does not prepare the students very well (due to lack of statistics and programming).

Well, that took much longer than i intended... :)

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks!!
Sounds too easy, but I have done this with Youtube Live (used to be Hangouts on Air) while doing work for my Masters.

Here is a fairly thorough article about how to use it for a webinar, and it seems to meet all of your requirements: http://digitaldeepak.com/how-to-host-we ... tube-live/

Oh, and it's free. Infinite ROI, right?
Awesome! Thanks!!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am

Good luck!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 pm

I’m giving a webinar at the end of the month. Our marketing guys set everything up, I just give the Tak!, but I’ll be sure to let you know what my experience was like after I’m done.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:31 pm

We use webex (not free) and google hangouts (might be free) at work for these.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Youtube Live absorbed the broadcast functions of Hangouts On Air.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 am

Another option is Zoom, which may have a free or trial version. Columbia’s former people here in SC use it to conduct webinars around the entire state with 40+ people connected at a time.

Good luck!

And interestingly enough, we are going more international for our student profile as well...because they pay full tuition (and as a bonus, are better students than the locals).

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:54 am

I run webinars for our company to teach our software to our customers a couple times a week. We use Connect Pro currently. As a company we use Bomgar for remote support, Google hangouts for internal meetings or Skype, and then Connect Pro for our external webinars. Eventually though I think Connect Pro will be going away for us.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 am

We use Blackboard Connect for meetings with colleagues, who are elsewhere. I don’t know if it’s possible to invite people outside of your U to join a meeting, however.